“Boring without a english speaker guide”

Gansu Provincial Museum
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Lanzhou
Reviewed July 14, 2013

the entrance is free for all, but you can't take your drinks or food inside , so you have to buy once inside. if you want to enjoy it, it's essential to pay for an english speaker guide.

There are newer reviews for Gansu Provincial Museum

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I don't know why this is the top place to visit in Lanzhou.. Perhaps because there is nothing else. By European standards it was very average, the displays looked dated particularly their dinosaur section. They had old mechanical dinosaurs which were not working. A couple of displays were a bit better but I didn't find this place all that interesting at all and was eager to get out of the place. There was a coffee shop in the museum which served coffee at seriously hiked prices!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Lanzhou is a fairly far-flung city in Northwestern China that is undergoing a lot of development, but this museum is top of the line! Last year, while living there, I visited once or twice, only to be dismayed by a lack of English on any of the exhibits.

However, I went again a couple of weeks ago, and they have revamped everything! The museum is still keep superbly clean and neat, but now they have added English translations to just about everything!

It really showcases Lanzhou and Gansu's vast history - everything in the museum came from Gansu Province, so it's a great opportunity to see things from all over Gansu.

If you're a student or show a passport, you'll most likely get in free! I've been 3 times and never paid!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We enjoyed going to the museum. It was very stroller friendly & had lots of items from our daughters homeplace in Wuwei, China. Very nice exhibits of things from dinosaur bones & fossils found in the area which were quite impressive to pottery. It was a nice thing to do for a couple of hours while in Lanzhou.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Last weekend while in Lanzhou I decided to visit the Gansu Provinvial Museum as I'd been told about it by a friend.I'm delighted I went there. The Museum is fabulous!! so many wonderful exhibits to see, all housed in one building from the prehistoric ages right through to modern Chinese history Access to the Museum is easy by taking the number 1 bus from in front of the Railway Station.Fortunately entry to the Museum is free,which is another great incentive to visit it.I spent a few hours wandering around the Museum taking photos of some of the fascinating exhibits,from the ancient elephant skeleton and fossils,Ancient Chinese statues from the Han dynasty through to 20th century exhibits that depict various important aspects of Modern Chinese history such as the Communist Revolution.Most of the staff I spoke to were very polite and friendly towards me, and seemed delighted to answer my questions. The only drawback for Westerners at this Museum is in the Modern Chinese history section nearly all the exhibits are labelled in Chinese so I would recommend the services of an English speaking guide if possible.Being a former Museum Tour Guide in New Zealand for two years,I recognise an outstanding Museum when I
visit one,and therefore can highly recommend this Museum in Lanzhou.Andrew