“overall a four star + as an international standard”

Sunshine Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 491 Hotels in Lanzhou
Reviewed March 25, 2012

stayed on business march 20th 2012
rooms are clean and well lit and furnished
bed was comfortable
room temperature good, except very noisy fan
shower spray extremely weak, and hot water/cold mix hard to control
breakfast needs a fresh coffee grind machine

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We were on a business trip into Lanzhou recently and stayed at this hotel. The food was quite nice - specially the breakfast. I liked the size of the rooms and the hospitality of the hotel staff. The only problem is that the staff barely speaks English. Apart from that challenge, the hotel is great. It is located very centrally and you can easily get public transport from here to any destination. The airport is quite far away, but that is how it is.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2010

A very Chinese hotel with some accommodation to Westerners. We were passing through Lanzhou (twice) on our way to Xiahe and this was what the tour company booked. I dare say it is about as good as it gets

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Overall I found they provide me with a poor service. When I check in, they loss my luggage, even so the room are just fine. The buffet selection is simple but the food is discusting, I will not come back the this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed at the Grand Soluxe on a recent business trip to Lanzhou. My first night, my colleagues and I got absolutely no sleep due to our rooms being way to hot with no way to control the temperature. The heat appeared to be centrally controlled for the whole building and it was set at 28°C. I called reception and was told that the only thing I could do was open the single tiny window, which I did, and it made absolutely no difference, and it was winter, -15°C outside!! After a sweaty, sleepless night on the floor, I told the manager that if they couldn’t provide us climate controlled rooms, we would go elsewhere. To their credit, they upgraded us free of charge to a top floor deluxe room which was a lovely 20°C – just perfect!

Other than that, my experience was pretty good. The location is good, right in the heart of the city, just a short walk to uncountable restaurants and shops all around the hotel. Although located on a busy road, there was little, if any road noise. The streets around the hotel make for interesting and colorful walks, both day and night.

The rooms were a bit on the small side, and hot/stuffy as described above – I would have expected a lot more from a 5-star hotel. However, they were comfortably furnished, bright, spotlessly clean, well-maintained, and with big windows. The rooms come furnished with a huge flat screen TV with English cable/sky channels, and a computer desk with free internet. The bathrooms are nice, if a bit small, and the shower was hot with great volume. The room was quiet and comfortable and I got a good sleep on the second night of my stay. Several of the floors are blissfully non-smoking.

The buffet breakfast, included in the price, was very good. They had a good variety of fresh fruit, cereal, western dishes, and Chinese food. We didn’t eat any other meals in the hotel restaurants. The hotel fitness center was initially somewhat disappointing, but after a few workouts, I realized that it really wasn’t that bad. There was a real hodge-podge of weight lifting gear (in terms of variety and quality), just enough of it to have some decent weight workouts. In addition, there were 3 very good treadmills and a few so-so stat bikes. Not bad overall, but could be a lot better, especially for a 5-star hotel.

The staff were generally helpful and friendly, and the managers spoke good English. They were pretty good about giving us upgraded rooms and were apologetic about the sauna-like conditions of the standard rooms. Check-in and check-out ran fairly smoothly.

Other than the room being uncontrollably hot, it was a comfortable stay. It is likely that if you are staying in the summer time, they will have the heat turned off and the AC on, at least you’d hope so. I wouldn’t recommend the standard rooms (during the winter) due to the problem with the heating, so upgrade to the deluxe executive rooms. I definitely wouldn’t stay here again unless I had one of the cooler rooms.

Likes – breakfast, friendly management
Dislikes – hot, stuffy, small rooms.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank DanO68
Reviewed January 21, 2008

This hotel is the first 5 star rating hotel in the city of Lanzhou. It is a very very good luxury hotel for business travelers. Its location is very convenient and the service is high-quality. I love this hotel so much and I will choose this one again if I will go lanzhou next time.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 26, 2007

A Chinese five star hotel in a place like Lanzhou doesn't fill you with high expectations but when we walked in the room it was much better than expected. That said we had a room on one of the two VIP floors but when we saw a room on one of the other floors they clearly hadn't had the upmarket refurbuishment.

The entrance to the hotel was not impressive at all and from the outside could easily have been a 3 star - that said I don't care too much about lobbies - you don't sleep there.

Service was just so so - typical of many similar Chinese hotels - lots of effort but not well executed (though the room make up service was thorough and the rooms were clean). The "VIP" breakfast was unimpressive but about edible (non VIP appeared to be the same food but in a more crowded / not as nice alternative restaurant in the hotel)

Given the other places available would I stay here - yes - there is no other comparable choice in Lanzhou - and after all it was a nice room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family