“Dissapointed with their recent change! Only deserves 3 stars or less.”

Lujiang Harborview Hotel
Ranked #22 of 1,274 Hotels in Xiamen
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Very disappointed with the Lujiang Hotel we saw at our previous stay. We had stayed here years before when they didn't have their renovation yet and frankly, it was better before. They offered us two kinds of rooms, a more expensive "harbor view" and a cheaper " city view" room. Being that it was late already, we decided to go with the "city room". We were very disappointed when we saw the room. It didn't even deserve to get the name city view, as the view only consisted of a green mesh thing covering the window ( apparently, there was a construction project beside our room). I am not even sure if our room actually had an outlet to the outside from the window.

The room itself was very small, it only fit one double bed with two nightstands beside it. They didn't even have a separate long table for laptops. The bathroom was very basic, with no bathtub. There was free wifi in the room, but using it on my iPhone, it kept prompting me to re login when the screen goes dark. The breakfast was so-so. Some items were not refilled again after they were finished, even though the breakfast was still on for another hour.

When trying to exchange money at the front desk, they told us they were only able to change $200 worth of RMB's and all in loose change, because the hotel didn't have enough cash. What kind of "4 star hotel" doesn't even have $200 bucks to change?

We came from Wyndham Xiamen before staying here, and as a result, our standards were pretty high. The ONLY good thing about this hotel was its closer location in relation to Zhongshan Road, the main shopping street. Very very disappointed overall. Even if they had a good harbor view room, their city view room shouldn't be that substandard in comparison. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get their "City View" room. Get the harbor view instead, or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank xploredworld
There are newer reviews for Lujiang Harborview Hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2011

Having booked the nearby Wyndham Hotel for our first and last nights in Xiamen (in between, we were in Quanzhou for 2 nights), I was impressed by the great location of this Lujiang Harbourview Hotel when we were doing our shopping in Zhongsan Lu. My mum who is in her 70's, was complaining about the 7-8 minutes walk to the Wyndham, and so I cancelled our last night stay at the Wyndham and booked this Hotel for its great location - a gamble I had taken and it certainly paid off handsomely!

Having arrived by fast train from Quanzhou (45 minutes), we arrived at the Hotel at 11am. Suites on the 4th floor with balcony was ready but suites on the 6th floor without balcony wasn't ready and we had gone for the former. Given room 411, this suite was the one depicted on the Hotel's English website but depicted wrongly on its Chinese website as a 'Seaview Standard room'.

We were impressed by the size of the suite (around 50 sqm) - huge and very comfy King sized bed, with a separated sitting area with a 3 seater sofa, free minibar (was not told till checkout .. but free only for Suites and Special Guest rooms), console and 2 TVs (with CNN channel). The thick wooden sliding door that separates the sleeping area from the sitting area is lockable, if you want total seclusion from your kids or family members.

What really surprises me for this category of Hotel is that, there is even a long office table with a laptop for your use, and the bathroom comes with a huge tub and a remodeled shower system and rain shower! Mosaics abound the bathroom area and gives you a sense of good taste and opulence! Toiletries provided even included body lotion and hair conditioner, great, too.

The small attached balcony is a great way to admire the gorgeous Gulangyu island ... day and night. It has a small table but comes with only one chair though. The constant human and car traffic in front of the Hotel was one of the main reasons why I didn't book it earlier for our trip but fear not, sound proof windows were quite good at screening out the noises. At night, it was comfortably quiet for a good night's sleep. But being a light sleeper and had gone to bed at 10.30pm, I did sleep with my ear plugs on for the first 3 hours ...

The main complaint about this suite has to be the constant human traffic and door opening/closing of the Emergency exit door directly opposite suite 411 - a result of poor insulation within the Hotel. But we did not hear anything from neighboring rooms, this I must clarify. So, if choosing a suite, avoid room 411 if possible, more so if you want to take an afternoon nap.

The other complaint that I had would be the single folding bed that I had added in the sitting area so that my mum could have her own private King sized bed. But the folding bed at RMB 200 was the poorest quality folding beds out of the 3 hotels that we had tried in this trip. I then asked to add two more layers of comforter on top of the thin mattress and it was quite OK.

Breakfast at the beautiful lounge area was indeed quite nice - duck meat cooked in orange sauce, grilled mutton, stir fried prawns and even sushi (not up to par I must say ...). But dinner at its 7th floor, roof top Restaurant was not too be missed, book early and ask to be seated outside, it was sublime with views of Gulangyu! You can either order Ala-carte or small dishes cooked in front of you - nice! The sharkskin soup and Foie gras were especially yummy ...

Common areas of the Hotel was both charming and elegant, done mostly in the New Classical lines. All Staff are very helpful, quite knowledgeable with local tourist info (but do not expect a dedicated Concierge like the 5 star Wyndham) and very polite. A Senior executive even asked about our stay while checking out, offering free water bottles for our departures to the airport etc (taxis costing only RMB45-RMB50 to the airport, depending on traffic, about 20 minutes ride) - nice feeling of being appreciated, really!

Overall, if we ever return to Xiamen again, I would stay here again and again even though I am such a hotel snob who always like to try 5 star Hotels and different hotels in order to enjoy new experiences for every trip. The ability to be able to drop off your shopping bags in your room and continue shopping just cannot be beat - NICE! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JChua
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Location unbeatable facing Gulangyu and opposite ferry terminal. It's at the cross road of Zhongshan Lu (shopping street) so food and shopping are everywhere.

Check in was not pleasant because reservation could not be found. Reason was I arrived later than expected time of 11am - 2pm. I arrived at 4pm. Expected the hotel to have at least called or waited till end of day at 6pm...due to traffic, flight delays...these are common occurances and one should not arrive in a hotel and be told the room have been cancelled! Even though it's a peak period due to holidays.

Besides that, the rooms were great (1 sea view room, and 1 without because there were no more sea view rooms which we initially booked). Decor, cleanliness, restaurant and service were good. One of the best 4* hotels.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Our group consisting of 2 couples and one grandmother and 15 year old boy stayed for 5 nights at the Lujiang hotel. I travel to Xiamen on business every year. This year I took some of my family and friends there to start off a trip around China. At $60 Aussie dollars per night including breakfast and harbour view rooms, it was excellent value. I normally stay at the Millennium Harbourview which is a lot more luxurious and double the price. Xiamen is a wonderful and interesting place but not really set up for Western tourists. We were lucky to be looked after by my associates and their families. One tip is to book everything in the last month or couple of weeks before you go as everything gets cheaper as rooms and flights are left. I would not stay in the rooms facing the back of the hotel. the harbourview really made the difference. The rooms very pretty standard, they were clean and the beds were comfortable. The front desk staff were OK, similar to most Chinese hotels- but that's another story.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night after returning from Yongding and the Hakka Tulou area. Previously in Xiamen had stayed 3 nights on Gulangyu - the island which this hotel overlooks and preferred that location. (see my review of Yo Yo Inn) This hotel is well located - be sure to explore the old area on the hill to the north (RHS if facing the hotel) and have a very affordable and surprisingly decent coffee at the Grand Cup in the 'pedestrian street' . At 10Yuan the cheapest I have seen in China in 3 years. Book through C-trip - way cheaper than the hotel's internet or desk rate.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank xingming
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I will highly recommend this hotel among other hotels. Value for money, great location, friendly service, and nice food in the restaurant! All of the rooms facing Gulangyu Island, and the room size just perfect. The ferry port to Gulangyu Island, just 3 minutes walk in front of the hotel. One thing you should try is the chinese food at their restaurant, very authentic and worth of money. Behind the hotel is the famous shopping street, you can easily walk without worry because the street close for any vehicle. Make your stay worth it and try this boutique hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2009

This review is long overdue. I stayed at this hotel on my first trip to Xiamen nearly one and a half year ago. Location-wise, it beats everything else in Xiamen. It has one of the best views of the Harbour, of the Gulangyu Island and also right next to the main shopping street. The service is good, and the rooms are clean. For food, though the restaurant offers a fine selection of dishes, you can go to the commercial street right beside, where you be spoiled for choices.

I would advice traveler's to go to Xiamen during either the Chinese New Year or the October Festivals. Thats when the streets are fully decorated.

I now regularly travel to Xiamen visiting my in-laws, so can't stay in this hotel. But i still remember the first visit and how it made a fine impression on me.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo