“Good except for 60RMB Internet fee per day”
Review of Pan Pacific Xiamen

Ranked #5 of 1,269 Hotels in Xiamen
“Good except for 60RMB Internet fee per day”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

It felt a little like W property with the decor and lounge. Gym was closed for remodel during my two nights so no comment there. Great fresh bread in the lobby cafe for 13RMB. Room wasn't overly large but big enough.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Briansdca
JGRM, Guest Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Xiamen, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us in the Hotel. We would be glad to invite you on your next stay to join our Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) program, where you will be entitled for complimentary internet and other membership benefits.

We hope to welcome you back to Pan Pacific Xiamen in the near future!

Tetsuya Higashi
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Menlo Park
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. The interior is modern and not overdone. The staff was friendly and my standard room was both comfortable and complete. The bathroom isn't all that big, but has both a bath tub and a separate rain shower. The room was also clean and the furniture is of a good quality, including an adjustable office chair to work at the desk.

The one thing was that the air-conditioning was quite noisy, especially at higher speeds.

Unless you can get a special arrangement, internet access has to be paid for, but for 60 RMB a day you get a reliable and fast enough connection. There is a Wi-Fi network, but I used the fixed connection. The only issue I had was that I had to re-confirm the connection several times a day. Not a big deal, but somewhat annoying.

I'm not sure whether this was a special offer, but at check-in I got asked whether I wanted to include the breakfast buffet. For a price of 100 RMB that is a saving of about 50% and worth taking I think.

The breakfast restaurant looks nice and the buffet is adequate. Not very special compared to other hotels in this price range, but there were sufficient choices of various types and styles of food (both Asian and Western) and eggs cooked to order.

The location is also convenient. The main downtown part is just 10-15 minutes away by taxi, but before you rush out and go there it may also be worth checking out the (coffee) bar street that is less than 10 minutes away by foot and along a nice lake.

It is very easy to find and basically opposite the main hotel entrance. If you cross the street via the pedestrian bridge a little to the left and then walk straight ahead you'll be facing the lake and bar street within 5 minutes.

There is a Starbucks in the Marco Polo hotel to the left. If you go right you'll see quite some small coffee shops and restaurants, offering a variety of drinks and food. Many offer the possibility to sit outside and with the right type of weather that is really nice. Not in the least because of the view on the lake.

One restaurant I can recommend there is "Buon Appetito". It is an Italian restaurant towards the end of the line with the food places. Unlike many other Italian restaurants in China their pizza has a thin crust and tastes very good. They use the right ingredients as well. I also enjoyed a tasty minestrone soup and a simple but nice chicken salad.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed February 19, 2012

And that would be half a green dot more than Wyndham Xiamen, for sure!

Nice (club) room, if a bit cramped. Gym was definitely better than Wyndham's but only just, if I am being honest. Location is fine with a few shops and a laundrette just around the corner. The club lounge itself was cozy, serving uninteresting but acceptable canapes. What saved the day (and night) was the staff who were personable and chatty without being too intrusive. There however seemed to be some minor communication issues as I was not informed of the benefits of staying on a club floor at check-in (suit pressing etc which would have been handy!) and had to negotiate fruitlessly later on. One thing to note is I flagged up the concern when given the opportunity to submit a questionnaire and the management was swift in responding to it, which I thought was professional and reassuring.

Will stay again (unless Hyatt opens a hotel there, of course...)!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EdmondUK
JGRM, EAM-Rooms at Pan Pacific Xiamen, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Pan Pacific Xiamen, and thank you for taking time to share your experiences with us. I am pleased to know that overall you had a positive and pleasant stay.

I note your observation on the lack of communication regarding the club benefits, and I have since briefed our Pacific Club Manager for his immediate attention. Please accept my apology if the situation was not handled to your expectation. It is through continuous feedback from guests such as you that we are able to objectively review the facilities and services to ensure that they meet our guests’ expectations as well as our own standards of excellence.

We hope to have you back with us soon in Xiamen!

Thank you.

shanghai
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Good value for money. Service is impeccable. Staff well trained. Rooms are big, nice and clean.
Excellent location.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gipsodrivesabentley
JGRM, EAM-Rooms at Pan Pacific Xiamen, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to share with us your memorable stay at Pan Pacific Xiamen.

Of course I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is rewarding to know that our efforts to provide exceptional experiences are appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to Xiamen!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I love this hotel. It is minutes from my favorite places in Xiamen (Zhongshan Lu, Gulang yu, Bailuzhou Park, & Haiwan Park. The hotel itself has excellent service. My favorite routine is to stay here, take a tax to Zhongshan Lu for shopping and street food, take the ferry to Gulang Yu for pearl shopping, come back and eat BBQ and play the dice game at Haiwan park before going back to the hotel. In the morning, pick one of the numerous coffee shops on the way to Bailuzhuo Park or grab a massage for $10-15 US. Xiamen is a great Chinese town, and Pan Pacific is a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AustinMattS
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Pan Pacific Xiamen!

It is always delightful to get positive comments, thank you so much for sharing your pleasant experiences and places of interests in Xiamen with us.

We hope to welcome you to Pan Pacific Xiamen soon.

Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Have always been staying this hotel when it was under the Sofitel group.

Hotel still looks exactly the same. Service staff seem to have a better command of English now though. However, after 2.5 years since my last visit, Xiamen seems to have changed quite a fair bit. The obvious changes are that, there are more overhead bridges, dustbins and people do not light up that much indoors.

Back to the hotel, it's worthwhile choosing a club floor room! Room wise, it is the same as the normal ones but the perks are free wifi within the hotel and complimentary access to the club lounge which made us very happy with the free flow of drinks and snacks available.

However, I thought I read in the hotel's guide that there are butler service for club floor guests. However, not that we required but was a tad disappointed when I called Front Desk asking for assistance to reconfirm my flight and they transferred me to Business Office who in turn advised that I should call the airlines myself. No big deal about it, but thought it could have been better handled.

Overall, still my preferred hotel when I go to Xiamen.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jillie_sg
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to share with us your positive and construction comments.

I am glad to know that Pan Pacific Xiamen will always be your preferrred choice of accommodation, especially your stay with us at the Club Level. I would like to confirm that we do have our butler services available during the Club operational hours, and please accept my sincerest apologies if you were not being assisted by the butlers for your ticket confirmation.

We will look forward to welcoming you back to Pan Pacific Xiamen in the future and I will hope to have the pleasure of meeting you at that time!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I'm a frequent returning guest, since this property 1st opened as a Sofitel brand product. Throughout the transition to a Pan Pacific brand, this property has maintained a high level of consistency both in its staff service levels and Food & Beverage operations - its frankly difficult to find anything close to the standards offered up by the Pan Pacific in this market. Xiamen is a terrific city for tourism, as well as an emerging business hub for foreign and overseas Chinese investment. I see many foreign and domestic business people returning year after year to this property. Most ...if not all ....share my opinion ...that its one of the best business hotel options in the city . Pan Pac offers up terrific food choices with the 4th floor chinese option taking my all time favourite in the entire city. Caesars on 3 provides consistant quality at really attractive prices. A must try is one of their thin crust / wood oven Pizzas or their special parma / mushroom Linguini, I recommend the BBQ option if you wish to enjoy the ambience of the pool with western / asian fusion dishes. My recent stay was a duration in excess of 3 weeks. Every aspect of my business requirements, recreation activities and F&B expectations were met and frankly (on occasion) exceeded by Elisa and her staff at Oasis bar as well as Angel / Lilly at Hi Tien Lo on the 4th floor. The 3rd floor breakfast peak period can at times be a little too crowded, due to some convention activity. I suggest large convention groups be moved, for their and other guest convenience, to the 4th floor which should reduce the high congestion b'fast traffic between 7:30 and 9:00 a.m. currently existing at Caesars on 3. I suggest that business travellers with slightly higher expectations, should always make inquiry about the availability of the Pacific Club rooms as well as the business/ club service area on the 28th floor, to enjoy a peaceful and quiet breakfast environment. The single area where this property requires some further "attention to detail" is in regard to their GHA loyalty program. The list of "local experience options" offered up to members achieving their highest level of loyalty is frankly in a single word.... "disappointing." How about offering a memorable round of golf at one of the many famous golf attractions that Xiamen has become so famous, as a regional destination golf resort ? Possibly a power yacht or saliling experience at one of the 3 new facilities recently opened on the island ? The loyalty program as it presently exists is a detractor to an otherwise outstanding property. Attempting to make a "local experience arrangement" with GHA on anything less than 10 days prior notice is an impossibility. I will return to Xiamen soon and hope to enjoy some more Pan Pacific hospitality, as the property and management attitude truly reflects the soul and excitement of Xiamen city and its environment.

Room Tip: Western view of Hai Chang / Long Hai / Nan Tai Wu or room with "08" are generally best vie...