“A must stay in xiamen”

Ranked #8 of 1,257 Hotels in Xiamen
Vadodara, India
“A must stay in xiamen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

An amazing property. Very friendly staff. They know English pretty well.
Very close the coffee street only 8rmb by taxi.
Amazing buffet breakfast at the hotel. A very large spread. Don't miss the sushi.
A great pool and gym. One can go in the late evening to the pool and relax yourself after an all day long tour or appointments.

Room Tip: Stayed in their lake view rooms and it was a very pleasant stay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank essfil
Quality A, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Mr / Ms. Essfil:

We are delighted to read that you had an excellent stay and enjoyed your visit at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong. It is always encouraging to learn that guests are satisfied with our service as it is what we strive for every day.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us soon.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Ben Lin
Quality & Attitude Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

the service is not good and the greeting is poor than the website introduce
the room is not bad which is also have surprise when get in
the location is not good and no transportation to support, not convenience enough
the restaurant is not good enough and close too early

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Quality A, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Chan:

Thank you very much for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for not having been able to provide you with the proper guest experience. The situation you described is definitely not corresponding to the experience quality we are used to deliver and that our guests praise us for.

Our hotel is located in Bailuzhou park, one of the most beautiful scenic spots downtown facing the Yundang lake. Indeed it is not always easy to catch a taxi especially during certain times of the day, this is nevertheless an issue that many hotels face in Xiamen and as a matter of fact we have implemented a “Taxi Advance Call” service that minimizes whenever possible the waiting time. We would also like to highlight the fact that public transportation is well organized in Xiamen. There is actually a bus station just in front of hotel which serves many convenient bus routes that some of our guests have gladly experienced with satisfaction.

Dragon Tales Chinese Restaurant famous for its Cantonese and Minnan specialties cuisines as well as “Chi” All Day Dinning Western Restaurant are indeed open to public from 06h00 am to 22h00, after which our 24/7 hours room service is at entire disposal for all our guests rooms.

As per our correspondence through email, we thank you very much for your understanding as well as your renewed confidence in Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.

As agreed, it will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near future suiting your best convenience.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Ben Lin
Quality & Attitude Manager
Menlo Park
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was the first time I stayed in a Pullman hotel and had high expectations. Maybe too high, because the overall experience was rather disappointing.

A hotel brand with this reputation and corresponding high prices can not afford to drop the ball, but this hotel did so in several places.

The good thing is that the room was complete and clean. It has everything you need for business travel, including a water boiler, work desk with adjustable chair, a safe that fits a 15" laptop, etc. The complimentary Wi-Fi was somewhat slow though. The controls for the room lights were bad. I kept on struggling with them and they are too far away from the bed. If you accidentally hit the master button all lights go out and no way to switch individual lights back on.

The air conditioning was so so. Even at the lowest temperature (18 deg. C) and highest fan speed it took a long time to cool the small room.

The room was very small and the bathroom was tiny. The area around the wash basin was rather small and the toiletries got wet often because there was no splash zone left. There was a bath tub and a separate shower cabin. The conventional shower head worked great, but the rain shower produced a drizzle only.

The quality of the TV was poor and mostly Chinese and other Asian channels. I only found one English speaking movie channel.

Altogether rather small things though and easy to address. It is the bigger picture that bothered me and where I think this hotel could and should do better.

It all starts with the check-in. Although it was 3:30pm already, the room wasn't ready. I could stay in a smoking room. Nothing I detest more in a hotel than smoking rooms, so no thank you. I was then told I had to wait 45 minutes. That is too long and I complained. I got another room, which was appreciated until I opened the door. Although broad daylight it was very dark and all lights were on. Turned out this room was at the corner, had one tiny window only and it was half way blocked by the connecting perpendicular wing of the hotel. I wonder why it was designed this way. After about 10 minutes waiting I got the key to another room.

Another unpleasant surprise was that this hotel did not give any credit points on my Accor card. Now this chain already has the worse loyalty program of any hotel chain I know and this did not help to enhance my loyalty. The excuse used was utterly strange. I was told I should have booked with them directly in order to qualify for the points. Too silly for words.

The breakfast buffet is overpriced. A price of 147 RMB is way too much for what is offered. Also compared to other hotels. It is fine, but again misses that finishing touch. Especially when it comes to Western style food. The bacon was downright soggy for example. The cheese was laying in the open and had dried out, the fresh fruit had very limited choices, etc. The restaurant was also way too warm and I wasn't the only one suffering from that. The good thing was the friendly staff.

Since I had a late flight out I asked for a late check out. I was surprised it took manager approval and a call back 10 minutes later to extend it to 2pm. I'd asked for a 3pm check out. Again, not what I associate with a Pullman hotel, but clearly I expected too much.

To summarize, not a bad hotel, but overpriced, no credit points given on my Accord card, standard and very small room, too expensive breakfast buffet and not much flexibility regarding a late check out.

Room Tip: I would not take room 926. It is very small and dark with only half a window. It is at the corner of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelOften4B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in April 2013 and was impressed with the hotel and service. The food in the Chi restaurant was excellent, I didn't try the Chinese restaurant so can't comment on that.
The gym facilities were top class with free weights and fixed weight machines, there are lots of cardio machines, treadmills, cross trainers and bikes as well. A very nice indoor pool,
I had breakfast and evening drinks and snacks before dinner in the executive lounge, well worth booking a room that gives you access to this lounge.the staff were extremely helpful.
Others have mentioned that the hotel is a little remote from central city activity this is true however after a short wait for a taxi the rest of Xiamen is only a few minutes away.

Room Tip: A room on the executive floor and facing the lake is preferred
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Quality A, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Mr. Setep:

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at the Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.

We are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. It is encouraging as our guest's satisfaction is our primary concern.

We look forward to welcoming you again should you plan to come back to enjoy "Magic Amoy" at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong in the future.
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pullman Xiamen is located at the small island("白鹭洲") at the center of the city, not very far from the waterfront(10 mins by bus, half an hour by walk), public transportation(more than 10 different lines of bus station) is available right in front of the hotel, which can take you to the popular sightseeing spots easily. There is a very nice park full of all kinds of green plants and flowers located behind the hotel. I stayed there for 3 nights on early March 2013, enjoyed it very much. Hotel provided 3 different kind of fruits on the first night as a welcome gift, which is a nice surprise after my 1st intensive walking tour around several popular tourism spots under sunshine. The bed was super comfortable and good sleep is guranteed. I got up very early next morning, and went to the park for an 1 hour walk, it is way much better than some crowded popular places in the city, fresh air, shining water under the morning sunlight, early people doing exercises, flying kates, everything is nice and relaxing, I would definitely call this morning-walk the highlight of my trip to Xiamen, so I plan to go back there later this year, just spend some quiet time in the park, do some reading or writing in the coffee shop at the end of the island, looking forward to it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Quality A, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Wang Q:

Thanks for choosing Pullman Xiamen Powerlong as your accommodation and taking your time to share with us your stay experience.

We are very happy to receive your pleasure experience and looking forward for your next visit with Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights, location was average but there are plenty of taxi outside the hotel. Check in/out was quick and friendly. I accidently left my sweater when checking out and the hotel staff was quick to check my room and prompted me, well done!! Breakfast was good and many choices and service was excellent. The lobby bar was quiet but staff was attentive.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tonelim:

Thanks for choosing Pullman Xiamen Powerlong as your accommodation and taking the time to share your stay experience.

At Pulman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer, we are pleased to read you had a enjoyable stay with us.

It is our hope that welcome you back in the near future and assure you a perfect 5 stars experience again.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at Pullman Powerlong for two nights while on a short weekend trip with friends. It's definitely now on my list of favorite hotels in China (my friends and I have traveled extensively within China for work and leisure so we know what's good when we see it!!)

Powerlong's staff have their A-game on... we experienced it first hand from the lobby staff, to the restaurant staff during breakfast, to the cleaning ladies and housekeeping staff, all trying their best to help.

Breakfast buffet is good value for money, mainly because of the omelette station and noodle bar... the chef makes a mean scrambled egg! Restaurant staff are responsive and efficient in making sure empty plates are removed, cups are refilled with coffee and tea, etc.

As some other reviews said, it's certainly not located downtown - but getting cabs is NOT an issue because lobby staff will always help to hail down a cab by the roadside! They gave good recommendations on local late night snacks around the hotel (only 10-15 min walking distance).

**My only complain would be the lady sitting at the Tourist Service Desk.. I'm not sure if she's a hotel staff or tour agency staff seconded to the hotel, but it doesn't seem like she enjoys her job at all. We asked her whether the hotel has any map of Xiamen, and she replied curtly, "We don't have that. You want a map, go out to buy one." -____- Seriously?!?! Most of the time when we walked by, she was hiding behind the screen fiddling with her cell phone (which isn't a hue problem, just found it funny that she was trying to hide!)

Room Tip: I'm not sure if all rooms have lake view, but definitely pick one that faces the lake because it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Quality A, Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Phebe:
Thank you for choosing Pullman Xiamen Powerlong and tell us your stay experience.
Pullman Xiamen Powerlong had just been opened over one year and we are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. For the lady you special mentioned, she was a staff joined in Tour agency seconded to the hotel currently, but thanks for your reminding so that we take appropriate measure to prevent future occurrence.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your attractive experience again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.