“Great hotel”

Ranked #8 of 1,258 Hotels in Xiamen
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I am not an elite, card carrying traveler, maybe this is why I had no trouble whatsoever in getting registered. Since I arrived slightly early and my room was not yet ready, the very pleasant English speaking concierge Aaron suggested I avail myself of the coffee and pastries served at the bar. He also gave me a voucher for a free, non-alcoholic drink.

My room was beautiful, large and very comfortable, modern, tastefully decorated in beiges, browns and pure white linen. The view was lovely, water on both sides and the lush, tropical park in between. Wi-fi was available in the room as was broadband for those with laptops.

The lobby is imposing, the real flower arrangements everywhere are very eye-catching and tasteful. The restaurant is large and tastefully decorated. The buffet is not huge, but very, very adequate and the food is good. Service is impeccable, done with professionalism and grace, both behind the counters and in the dining room itself. It seemed to me that there were more staff than guests in the dining room and whenever I caught their eyes, they were smiling. Theresa, a chatty server almost fluent in English was especially sweet.

On my departure day, for some reason the guide and car I ordered did not materialize. The reception staff, knowing I was going to the airport, was in contact with the guide, but when it became apparent that she would not be on time, organized themselves to get me to the airport on their own. Without my knowledge, they co-opted a hotel van and driver and had him take me to the airport, take me into the departure area and rushed me through to the airline.

I am extremely grateful to everyone at the Pullman for getting me to the airport, otherwise I would have missed my flight to Hong Kong. Since I wasn't aware of the planning around me, just sat awaiting the guide, I had no time to thank the staff or management for their caring. I am happy to be able to do it here so that everyone can see it. Obviously, I will heartily recommend this hotel to anyone who goes to Xiamen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Julianna D
Ben L, Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.
We are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. It is encouraging as our guest’s satisfaction is our primary concern.
Thank you again for choosing us as your acommodation. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Bischofsheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

The newly renovated Pullman Xiamen Powerlong was re-opened in January 2012. For everyone who has been to the old Powerlong Hotel before, this renovation will be a very pleasant surprise. The hotel has very nicely designed interior which makes it look very modern. We stayed in an Executive Room for 5 nights and this was by far one of the best hotel rooms I have ever had in China. Infrastructure-wise the hotel is at a top-level of international hotels now. The Executvie lounge is very nice and features evening snacks. This hotel is small compared to other hotels in Xiamen but this is also one of its advantages. You feel welcome and the staff will help you wherever they can. Their ‘welcomer’ cared about our well-being and took the time to greet us and check with us every day. The main complaint about the hotel is the level of English spoken --- not much! We had a few problems in the restaurant (which apart from the language problem is very good) and at some other areas. Here, the hotel still has some work to do in order to satisfy their international guests. The breakfast is very focused on the Chinese taste but every Westerner will find enough to eat anyway. It could just be a bit more for the Western taste. I am very picky about hotels and have to say that I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who goes to Xiamen. The location is good and most major areas can be reached for a 10-12 RMB taxi ride. We would definitely go back to the Pullman Xiamen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben L, Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear guest,
In addition, we noticed in paticular you mentioned of staff english levels and varities of breakfast. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurence.
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Pullman Xiamne Powerlong is brand new hotel with comfortable room and nice environment. Nonetheless, service level at lobby is sub standard as front desk simply choose to ignore Le Club platinum member even with the card presented. If you are Le Club members with gold status and above, don't expect any preferential treatment unless you are willing to complain to front desk manager. Breakfast in hotel has many choices but quality is simply average.
Kempenski Hotel is located about 5 minutes walk from Pullman Hotel and Xiamen train station about 3 kilometers away.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ben L, Manager at Pullman Xiamen Powerlong, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
We sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay experience in Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.
Your remark has been carefully noted and we can assure you that the necessary steps have been taken to avoid such inconvenience in the future.
Thank you again for choosing us as your acommodation and we sincerely hope this experience does not impair your trust in Pullman Xiamen Powerlong.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.