“Good hotel, good value for money”
Review of Marco Polo Xiamen

Ranked #4 of 1,272 Hotels in Xiamen
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Good hotel, good value for money”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stayed here twice since this hotel offers a good value for money. Last time they gave me a free upgrade to the top floor, since all non-smoking rooms were occupied.

The hotel is not too big and has a good breakfast with good coffee. The Japanese restaurant is good and they have fresh food.

The rooms are not too spacious but comfortable and clean.

I like to hotel location for 2 reasons:
1: When you want to Italian food, there are 2 restaurants just opposite of the hotel.
2: only a short ride from the airport (20 minutes)

All in all a good hotel and I would go here again when visiting Xiamen

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
MarcoPoloXiamen, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear guest,

I am very appreciated to know the good experience you had in our hotel and thank a lot for sharing your feeling with everybody. Beside the Shogun Japanese Restaurant, our Café Marco also provides the various delicacies both in buffet and a la cart. A promotion “French Food Festival” will be launched with a wide of selection presented by French guest chef special invited in January 2011 and of course, Christmas gourmet will not be missed during this enjoyable festival.

Hoping to have your next stay with us in the upcoming days and Merry Christmas !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Marco Polo Xiamen was updated and renovated during this past two years. Rooms are very modern and very well equipped. This is a hotel catered to businessmen. Food at Lotus Restaurant is excellent and Coffee Shop offers great Western and Chinese selections for breakfast. Staff is very help and well trained. Overall an excellent value for a 5 star hotel in one of the cleanest city in China. Highly recommend this location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JMW405
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great sharing with us and I am so impressed for your good commends in details. Surely the hotel renovation has been conducted in 2009 and all guests will enjoy our remodeled property and environment with luxury and elegant. The more, international gourmet at our Café Marco and authentic Japanese cuisine are welcomed you for a wide selection. as well as Chinese delicacies at Lotus Court Chinese Restaurant.

Waiting for your next stay at Marco Polo Xiamen and enjoy our more sparking moments. Merry Christmas !
Sydney, Australian
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Great hotel. The pool is in full sun by the lake for swimming and relaxing ulike other hotels where the pool is indoors. The rooms are lovely though some look straight into the windows of others so you need to have the curtains closed (even some lake view rooms).
I stayed on the club floor which is very nice. You also have fantastic cafes within easy walking distance by the lake.
The only down side was the phones in the room are a little difficult to work, and I changed currency with reception only to find out later the RMB I was given was fake. The reception staff were suspicious when the transaction took place. No follow up from hotel management but hey it's China.

1 Thank disport
MarcoPoloXiamen, Public Relations Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and sharing the experience at the Hotel . We truly value your comments as these help us compliment and improve on our services more. Looking forward to having your stay again at Marco Polo Xiamen and giving us the more opportunity to provide you with our genuine caring.

Beijing
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and it is really a good place to stay, the rooms are modern, fresh and comfortable. The staff are courteous and efficient, breakfast is a good spread and well managed.

Only thing I would change is the lack of bar area, in a business hotel there are always lots of single travellers who value somewhere nice to meet like minded people and pass the time. The lobby bar lacks atmosphere and is priced as if it was a 6 star hotel, most people go to the bar street behind the hotel(drinks around 40% of cost in hotel) and lots of interesting expats to chat to - recommend the london bar - from a hotel perspective this is a large loss of revenue.

Overall would definetly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear guest, thank you very much for your feedback and your comments are cherished as it help us improve our services more. The price at Lobby Lounge has been adjusted according to the market search and we do hope to have your stay again at Marco Polo Xiamen and giving us the more opportunity to provide you with our genuine caring.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2010

This a great business Hotel. No issues at all apart from the silly prices of drinks and coffee in the lobby and bar. Your better going to the ex-pat bars behind the hotel (do a left then a right) where drinks much more sensible.

One of the better hotels ive stayed at in China

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your comments are cherished as it help us improve our services more. The price at Lobby Lounge has been adjusted according to the market survey and we do hope to have your stay again at Marco Polo Xiamen and giving us the more opportunity to provide you with our genuine caring.

Great Lakes USA
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed at the Marco Polo Xiamen three years ago and had a nice stay, so I naturally booked it again when I returned to Xiamen. I was not happy with this stay and was disappointed. Their customer service has regressed significantly.

HVAC – First the room was frigid. They could not diagnose the problem so they brought me a space heater. It did the job. In the morning with the heater off, the room is like a sauna. Their solution was to open the window for me. The outside air was not all that clean or comfortable. I just got cleaned up and spent my downtime in the lobby. My associate who is Chinese spoke to a housekeeper and she said the master heat and AC for all rooms was turned off in all rooms to save cost. They felt the “natural air temperature” was good enough for the hotel guests.

Breakfast – I don’t care for authentic China cuisine, so I eat a hearty breakfast at the hotels which are usually pretty good. The breakfast served was quite bad. I had bread, watermelon and tea and envisioned that’s probably what prison inmates would be eating too. Everything else was horribly unappetizing and seemed like they pulled these cooks off the street with no training. How can you screw up breakfast?

Internet – Wireless Internet was sloooooow and the connection dropped a lot. The hard-wired Ethernet Internet in the room was much faster and stable.

The hotel lobby has a very nice seating area. During the day, it’s roped of and you can’t sit there. In the evening, there is a minimum charge to sit there. I don’t recall ever having to pay to sit in a hotel lobby. I wanted to have a meting with a colleague in the morning and was told we could not sit there because it was closed. There is only one “free” bench in the lobby for hundreds of hotel guests.

I was on the 8th Floor which is the club level. The afternoon tea was nice there.

Most hotels in Asia bend over backwards to cater to their western guests. I usually get the best service in Asian hotels and almost always get what I ask for. The Marco Polo did not make me feel like a valued guest, so I am moving on. Next time, I am staying at the Sofitel. Other folks from my company stay there and rave about it. I learned my lesson.

Also, I highly recommend both of the Italian Restaurants across the street. They are good by any standard, and is excellent by China standards.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Sorry to hear your unhappy experience in Xiamen and we truly value your comments as these help us improving the services more. Looking forward to having your stay again at Marco Polo Xiamen and giving us the more opportunity to provide you with our genuine caring.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2009

A recent renovation has brought the rooms up to modern and clean standards. Beds are very comfy, good layout with desk, bathrooms nice. Internet is available wired or wi-fi. TV is maybe a little small compared to other hotels. Food is great, service is very quick and most people spoke basic (or better) English. Location is nice against the lake and down the road is a good range of coffee shops and restaurants (not cheap tho!). Highly recommended, it is still the best hotel in Xiamen !

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business