“Still like this room, miss it sometimes...”
Review of Marco Polo Xiamen

Marco Polo Xiamen
Ranked #7 of 1,317 Hotels in Xiamen
Reviewed October 4, 2013

When I first came to visit Xiamen, it was always my 1st choice. I still like the room, like the location (many bars nearby), quiet street corner. Then business associates booked me at anothe nice hotel but I did get a chance to stay this hotel again last April.
Always pleasant to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
SemTan, Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Hi Xiaolio !

Thank you very much for your continuous supports to us and it has been a while since your last visit....

Marco Polo Xiamen is indeed a hidden gem of Xiamen, away from the hustle & bustle city life but still within close distance to business & financial centres, shopping malls and tourists attractions. Guests in our Continental Club Floors also enjoy the many privileges entitled, including accessing to the conducive Club Lounge for breakfast, afternoon tea & evening cocktail, complimentary mini bar, private check-in/check-out lounge, and many others.

We sure hope your business associate will arrange you to be with us again and looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Thank you again and have a great week ahead.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were lucky to check in on September 29 - the city and the hotel itself were almost empty. Two days later, when their National holiday started, we noticed the places around being filled up with Chinese families with little kids. I'm really satisfied with the service in Marco Polo. Most of the staff speaks some English. We stayed on the 8th floor - Club Rooms, had breakfast on the 8th floor as well. Breakfast prices are not cheap - over 150rmb i guess, but that's all-you-can-eat buffet, including fried meat, cold cuts, rice, omelette, pancakes, fruits, some veggies, juices, cheese (found my favorite Brie there!)etc. Free mini-bar in the room. I started my morning with cardio exercises in their gym (working hours 6 30am-10pm), then a little sauna room. During day we played pool, ping pong and sunbathed at the outdoor swimming pool. The staff were always polite and friendly. Though there's a certain price for this service - a 5rmb Tsingtao beer cost us 55 rmb at the swimming pool. Nearby the hotel there's a very picturesque area with a park, bridges and a lake. Within a 5 min walk we found a bunch of coffee shops, Turkish and Mexican diners. It cost us around 13 rmb to get to Zhongshan Lu- the main walking street, there's a ferry to a little island Gulangyu nearby this street. There's a SPA outside the hotel, but it's pretty pricey so we didn't go there.

Room Tip: go for the 8th Club floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Elena !

A memorable wonderful holiday experience is a must while visiting Xiamen and being with us :)

We are so happy to see you had a great time exploring our hotel facilities and the attractions in Xiamen. There are still many attractions around Xiamen to be discovered, including the UNESCO heritage site "TuLou" earthern buildings, "Nam Pu Toh" Temple, Xiamen University, etc and of course, the friendly residents of Xiamen.

Do have a nice week ahead and definitely looking forward to your next visit here as well !

Thank you with warmest regards.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Marco Polo in Xiamen is in a nice location, clear to nearby Parks and a lake.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful on arrival, and check in a breeze.
Though not up to the standard in Decor, Restaurants etc as Marco Polo's elsewhere in Asia, from what I have expereineced in China it is a very good hotel by their standards.

There is a Japanese, Chinese and Buffet style restaurant. The evening Buffet was of an average standard, though I suspect that this more to do with availablity of ingredients than anything else.

The plan of the room was very good, however condition and quality of fitting of some of the accesories left a bit to be desired, eg leaking taps and lose fittings. Though again this not uncommon in China from my experience. The 'Rain' type shower was excellent.

The breakfast again was OK, but nothing special, again I suspect due to below average quality on the ingredients.

The hotel is close to an area of Bars and nearby restaurants which was convenient.

In all I would be happy to use the Marco Polo Xiamen again.

Room Tip: Prices are very reasonable so go for the top floor 'Club' rooms with complementary breakfast...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hi Darren !
Thank you very much for penning some feedbacks and glad that you had an overall wonderful experience staying with us.

My sincere apologies though on the few minor issues raised and will definitely tying up these loose ends. It is infact a challenge with the availability of food ingredients here as we work very closely with the authorities in using only certified products to ensure our food quality and safety for our guests.

And too add in a little further on the room tips you provided, our Continental Club Lounge also provides daily afternoon tea and evening cocktail for guests staying at the club floors or one of our suites.

Thank you again Darren and hope to welcome you back here again.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great location - right on coffee shop road, across the street from the lake. Area has the most expat restaurants and bars nearby - English friendly.

This is not a new hotel but it is well maintained. Room I got was fairly small but it was there is nothing I can complain about.

Breakfast is great. Has all the standard Chinese staples as well as good Western selection. Great value for what you get.

As other's have mentioned, getting taxis during shift change is impossible. There are a lot of black cabs but feel very uncomfortable using them as a forienger alone.

We would definetly use this hotel again when we come back to Xiamen.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SemTan, Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hi James !

Thank you for your recent visit and again, had a great stay with us. For the last 17 years Marco Polo Xiamen has stood up to be one of the most recognized properties in Xiamen and we will continue striving for an even better positioning amidst those new properties.

There are indeed some unlicensed private cars in Xiamen but we do not allow any of them from entering into our premises. We strongly advise against using such a service as it is not only exhorbitant, it is also unreliable and trustworthy. On the other hand, we encountered many pleasant experiences with the licensed taxis here where guest belongings were returned or found back after they left the taxi.

In general, Xiamen is a wonderful city, clean and with friendly people around. Apart from the well developed business districts, there are also many tourists attractions for all ages alike.

Thank you once again and sure look forward to your next visit back here soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Staff goes above and beyond what is expected in her duty。

It was a rainy afternoon in early 2013-09 as I just finished my daily back-rehab massage near Carrefore shopping center. Worse, it was the time during taxi shift change period. I stood in the rain for more than 40 minutes and was not able to get a taxi to return to Marco Polo. I went back to the massage store and borrowed the phone to call my host, Ms. Alice, for help. On the phone, she said, she just finished her day shift and would go home soon. So, it would be easier that she could take the taxi from hotel, then meet me at the massage place. I could then take the taxi back to hotel. She would just ride the bus home. I took her advice and returned to hotel safely. My sincere appreciation for her help. This would be my forth trip to Xiamen due to my rehab requirement and every time I stayed at Marco Polo and enjoyed the morning buffet breakfast, plus other amenties such as pool and walked by the lake in the morning and chatting with the fishmen. Rosemary, San Diego, CA

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Hi Rosemary,

We are delighted to receive your compliments especially on our team member and Alice is equally excited about it as well ! We champion in genuine hospitality and very glad to see Alice as one of them who has done it perfectly.

With a good rehab program and wonderful surroundings at Marco Polo Xiamen, we sure hope you will get well very soon.

Looking forward to your next visit and wishing you the best of health.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have had wonderful experiences at the Marco Polo Xiamen. I have had absolutely horrid experiences in the Marco Polo Xiamen. Most of the latter have to do with Cafe Marco. I still enjoy the hotel, although the rooms are dated and in dire need of renovation. But the location is great as it is right by the water. The gym and pool are wonderful. Checkin is usually smooth, and I often get upgrades! The smell in the lobby is fantastic and a great welcome. The design of the hotel is nice as you can see down from all the guest floors. Despite the problems I have encountered, staff is always extremely friendly. Every staff you meet in the hotel will greet you as you walk by. I still recommend and hope that I get more of the great experiences in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jchanlifat
SemTan, Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your feedbacks and really appreciate it very much !

Despite some challenges that you may had encountered, we are delighted that our team members able to make it up to you and deliver a genuine service from their heart. Of course, from these comments we are also able to fine tune and further enhance our product quality and service standards as well.

Thank you once again and we surely look forward to your next visit again to experience our warm hospitality.

Warmest regards.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

In my veiw, once the obvious basics are in place, like clean, tidy etc are in palce what really differentiates a hotel is the welcome and feeling that it is an extension to your home. On arrival the welcome was efficient, warm and genuine. Well run hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
SemTan, Manager at Marco Polo Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Hi Graham !

It feels so great to hear that you have always enjoyed your stays and wonderful experiences at Marco Polo Xiamen :)

We believe in providing a genuine and friendly service in any way possible and very pleased that our associates have the same philosophy in their heart. All our associates are equally excited with your compliments and also like to extend our sincere appreciation for your time spent in sharing your experience here and via our online survey as well.

Looking forward for your next visit soon and have a great weekend !