“amazing location and excellent service”
Review of The Westin Xiamen

The Westin Xiamen
Ranked #1 of 1,271 Hotels in Xiamen
Hangzhou, China
“amazing location and excellent service”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

The hotel can be described with the word amazing.
The location is pretty good,and the room is fantastic.I am a Starwood platinum member and got an upgrad to the suite.the room is fabulous.
And the people in th hotel is really nice ever since the first day I arrive.
Will go back with my 2 year old daughter next time,again,soon!

Room Tip: Try the suite if possible,it will bring your travel a luxury and lovely feeling definently.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Min Z
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Westin Xiamen. We appreciate your positive comments very much. We appreciate your compliments and recognition as it is a great motivating force for us to keep up with the service. At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. We will keep developing our services and products, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I travel to Xiamen often for work and the Westin Xiamen had become my go to hotel to stay during my visit. From the second you walk through the doors Sunny's team takes amazon care of their guests ensuring you have a wonderful stay and experience during your stay. The team truly goes above and beyond. The rooms are gorgeous, have amazing views of Xiamen, the beds are to die for and the rooms have up to date amenities. I always look forward to making it back to Xiamen for work due to the team hear at the Westin Xiamen.

• Stayed August 2014
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Westin Xiamen. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. Ms. Sunny is a truly one of the best Guest Experience Officer that we have.We appreciate your recognition and we will work hard to make sure we maintain the same level of service in the hotel. At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. We will keep developing our services and products, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We booked for a non smoking room but it was obvious that the last guest who used the room had been chain smoking inside the room. The GM very kindly changed our room and gave us a room on a high floor with a beautiful view.
Breakfast was a big disappointment. We were down at 8.30am but the cold cuts plates were empty and not replenished. We left 40 minutes later and the cold cuts were still not available.
There was no milk left on the counter and I brought it to the attention of one of the chef nearby. He went into the back room and came out with no milk. I waited for 10 minutes and by chance the head chef walked by and I told him that I am still waiting for them to refill the milk. He brought the milk out from the back room almost immediately.
The hot food were cold and seems to have been prepared early in the morning. Don't ask for a soft boiled egg. I tried teaching them how to do the egg and the chef brought the egg to the noodle stall and drop the egg into the boiling noodle soup pot. They gave me a killer look and I ended up with a hard boiled egg in the end.
For the keen swimmers, please be aware that you must wear a swimming cap if you want to use the pool. There is no sign at all saying that all swimmers must have a swim cap so before I could dipped into the pool, the attendant came to me, arms akimbo and waved rudely at me saying "no,no!" No cap, no swim......in the end I gave up arguing with him as he looked as though he was ready to marched me off to the gallows.
The attendant also ticked my husband off. "No swimwear, no swim!". We were shocked as my husband was wearing the Speedo swimwear shorts. Guys, make sure you have a tight fitting swim trunk on, don't say I didn't warn you.
We tried the spa and my husband managed to talked the price down. The Spa experience is not worth for the price we had to pay. I didn't feel as though I had a massage treatment. Later in the evening, on the way back to the lift I noticed a promotion for the Spa treatment and I felt cheated that the Spa Manager had made us felt we had a good deal from her. She should have told us about the hotel anniversary spa deal that was being offered for the week which was much lower in price than the one that she had offered to us.
Internet is slooooooooowwwww! The staff said we need to pay for the Internet usage in the room but it is free around the concierge area. We tried and somehow managed to get free connection from our room.
The staff attitude to service is very raw. And like most hotels in China, great hardware, poor software.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Ms. Irene,
Thank you very much for your precious comments. We regret to hear about your experience during your recent stay, and we would like to offer our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused. We know that service attitude and manners are very essential in creating a wonderful stay for our guests, and we already reflected the problems to the relevant departments for their improvement.
Regarding your experience at pool, please accept our apology about the poor service from our associate. And for hygiene reason, swimming cup is required to wear in the pool. But it’s our mistake that we don’t have any clear signal in the poolside.
For the internet speed, we are working on the improvement already. And to better provide the Internet service, it’s charged at RMB 80 per day in all the guest room. But you can also enjoy the free internet in hotel public areas such as hotel lobby and restaurants.
In fact, we would like to contact you in order to learn more specifically about your experience and how we can make it better. Please kindly let us know. Please kindly let us know your contact information by sending to our email westin.xiamen@westin.com, we would love to hear more about. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future, and hope you will have a wonderful stay with us.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is my first review on tripadvisor!!! I wrote this to complain my disappointment of the hotel, I have possibly been travelling to half of the major cities in China, staying in different 4-5 stars hotels local brand or foreign brands. the price they charge, the brand they carried just do not live up to the expectation of the price and brand it carries.

I was in xiamen westin hotel last week. pick up arrange from hotel was fine. When I arrived at the hotel, it literally took me 45 minutes to check in. They mixed up my booking. I had two room under same booking names. They thought one of my room was booked under 2 weeks and the other room were just two days. They didn't bother to ask me, the lady who took care of my check in just chatted her way with another receptionist , moving from one side to another ENDLESSLY didn't know what she was doing, didn't bother to ask me what was my booking date actually. They Were literally joking around at each other did not do the job serious enough while the guest stood there for over 30 minutes.

I went up to the room. First thing I did try to wash my hand. the water coming up from the sink were BLACK color. when I tried to shower, I can see all residual dirts are at the side of the shower box.

Since I arrived earlier and my first time in Xiamen. I called the concierge to ask for recommendations of places and possibly to arrange a half-day transport for me to go around with the family. Instead of checking with any possiblities or tried to put efforts to make it happened, they just simply say NO, not possible. and worse things are the whole 5 star hotel, no one can speak simple English.

The chinese restaurant down in the hotel, just a simple questions about what is available, the attendees need to walk out 15 minutes to ask the manager for clarifications. Even, asking for tea , they say the tea master has gone for rest !!!! what sort of attitude is this? The breakfast served in the morning is even worse. I saw the chef were eating the food they cooked during breakfast hours while there are so many guests !!!, I asked for new french toast, they want to heat up the French toast that was on display until I stopped them.

This hotel experience is worse than the local brand of chinese run hotel. The people working there just don't know what they are doing. !!!!! , Even to check out is a hassle. I just want to check out and settled my payment while going up to clear my stuff and run off after that. The receptions said "nope, you have to come down drop your key, and say you are leaving then we will release charges from your credit card, despite you have settled the payments" is this 5 star foreign brand of hotel? is this westin , starwood standard??

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EricOei2014
Westin X, Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback with regards to your recent stay at The Westin Xiamen. It was with great regret that your experience with us was not that pleasant.

We are taking your feedback to heart and already working on the service improvement. We will conduct more training, including service manners, working skills and language training, for all the associates. It is our hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you well next time.

Regarding the room conditions, we have reflected your comments to housekeeping and engineer departments, and ask them to have a full investigation about the reason to prevent the incident happening again. The room you stayed has been fully checked to make sure a comfortable stay for your next visit or for other guest.

Nevertheless, In Westin our aim is to make guests feel at their best, and have a relax and renewal stay, and we hope that next time when you visit Xiamen, you will give us another chance for creating a satisfying stay for you. I believe our Assistant Front Office Manager has contact you on phone and email. If there's anything we can do to prepare for your next visit, please don't hesitate to let us know and we will definitely try our best to arrange for you.
Again, we are really sorry about all the inconvenience, and we really appreciate your comment, which will definitely help improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you again at The Westin Xiamen.
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at westin xiamen last month,I recommend this hotel. Great atmosphere, personalised and professional check in. The rooms are great, modern and super clean. A great and needed stay after a rough trip in china.

• Stayed July 2014
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Bjaeverskov, Denmark
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Only stayed there for 2 nights, the arranged pick-up from the airport worked perfect and the check-in were quick. Room were perfect and spacious, climate control worked perfect and there were enough free water in the room. Only problem were the speed of the internet it is slow slow slow but other than that the hotel fit my requirements.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank Carsten Damgaar... P
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
we appreciate your comments very much for wireless services. At Westin, our aim is to take care of our guests and hope that they feel better than when they arrived. I hope you feel refreshed from your stay. At the same time, please kindly accept our apology for unstable wireless, your patience is very much appreciated and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Should you have any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was there in September last year.
My stay there was so comfortable I didn't want to leave!

The bed was extremely comfortable, having the Westin brand bed.
I love that the sound system actually extends to the bathroom.

The breakfast was delicious.

The customer service was very good as well.
All in all, I love my stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comments and constant support. We are glad that you are satisfied with our facilities and service. The Heavenly Bed® is a Westin signature product dedicated to provide a good night of sleep for every guest. Every detail of the Heavenly Bed is designed to promote superior slumber – from the crisp, white, 250–thread count sheets to the down duvets, plush pillows and custom pillow-top mattresses. We are happy to know that you like it. You can also bring the bed home if you like as we deliver the bed to anywhere in China.At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. We will keep developing our services and products, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.