“Great Hotel situated well for business travelers”
Review of The Westin Xiamen

The Westin Xiamen
Ranked #2 of 1,317 Hotels in Xiamen
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This was my 4th visit to the Westin Xiamen having stayed in the city in many different hotels in the past. The hotel is modern and clean, the room was large (upgraded to executive suite, room 3116) and the beds are one of the best I have ever slept in. My wife was with me on this trip and she swam in the indoor pool and went to the spa. She even ventured out on her own for a short walk around the square nearby. The club lounge is spacious and the staff look after you very well. The hotel is very good value for money compared to other cities in the world. I will be back on my next trip to Xiamen in the Summer.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RailwayRammy
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comments and constant support. We are glad that you are satisfied with our facilities and service. The Heavenly Bed® is a Westin signature product dedicated to provide a good night of sleep for every guest. Every detail of the Heavenly Bed is designed to promote superior slumber – from the crisp, white, 250–thread count sheets to the down duvets, plush pillows and custom pillow-top mattresses. We are happy to know that you like it. You can also bring the bed home if you like as we deliver the bed to anywhere in China.

Besides the swimming pool and Heavenly Spa, there are a lot more Westin programs that you and your wife can try during your next stay, such as the Gear Lending program - rent New Balance® shoes and clothing for only RMB35 to keep up with your workout routine even when your are on the road, or our Sunday Funday brunch, featuring .....
Our front desk associates and concierge will be happy to introduce more to you during your next stay. At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. We will keep developing our services and products, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stepping off the Taxi, a porter assisted with luggage and guided me to the check-in desk. They had upgraded me to a Premier Room 1912. Interesting room number as that was the year China became a Republic and also the end of over 2000 years of Imperial rule. Also reminds me of the bar district in Nanjing (named 1912). :)

The room design was pretty interesting. You'll be greeted by the bathroom near the entrance followed by a walk-in closet and then the bedroom area. Room size was adequate unfortunately there's no lounge chair/sofa to laze around. Views were over the city which were okay. The iPod dock positioned near the bed was able to handle my old 80GB 5th generation iPod (2005), much to my delight!

As I wasn't in the hotel except to sleep, didn't get to explore or use the other facilities. Internet and breakfast were okay, nothing to shout about though. When I got back late at night, there were boxes of fruits waiting for me at the desk so that was a nice touch. For those wondering about the service level from the Frontdesk, I did get the wakeup call I ordered the night before. Location was neither good nor bad, it was situated around the middle left of Xiamen island.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Guest, thanks a lot for your comments, and we appreciate it very much. We are glad that you are satisfied with our room amenities, and hope that you had a relaxing and renewal stay. It's a pity that you did not get to experience other facility at the hotel this time, and actually there are a lot more Westin programs that you can try during your next stay, such as the Westin WORKOUT® - keeping you fit with state-of-the-art equipment from Life Fitness®; the Gear Lending program - rent New Balance® shoes and clothing for only RMB35 to keep up with your workout routine even when your are on the road; the Heavenly Spa by Westin™ - relaxing both your mind and body with rejuvenating spa treatments, and many more. Our front desk associates and concierge will be happy to introduce more to you during your next stay.

Knowing that you are interested in history and culture from your comments, may we also make another recommendations to you that our hotel is within walking distance to the Xiamen Museum, which holds different regional and national cultural or art exhibition regularly. Maybe you can make time to visit next time! Once again, thank you very much for your continuous support as a SPG Gold Member. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I checked out at 8am but came back at noon after meetings to get my bag. The manager greeted me warmly and I asked if I could use internet. he said "Let me put you back in your room" (even though I had checked out). I stayed until 4pm because my flight not till 6. This has never happened to me before and really nice. Also at breakfast I asked for quad espresso takeaway and the guy got it. So I had a nice coffee during the 45 minute trip to my meeting. Rooms etc. All this and I don;t even have any status with Starwood anymore. Starwood really is a cut above.

Dear Mr. Bank,
Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are glad that you are satisfied with our service and that you have a wonderful at our hotel. As you have mentioned you do not have a status with Starwood anymore, may I take the opportunity to introduce you to the Starwood Family again. Become a SPG member, you can earn Starpoints® through every stay at Starwood hotels around the world to redeem the rewards including rooms, flights and suite upgrade, etc. For example, in The Westin Xiamen, from now to 2014.6.30, all SPG members are entitled to 25% discount on each and every meal at Seasonal Taste, Qba and Zen5es. We will be honored if you can re-join our SPG family, again, and if you are interested you can visit our SPG website to learn more. Nevertheless, at Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. Your recognition has been a big encouragement for us to keep developing our services and products. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Got booked into Westin Xiamen, looked up location and was disappointed - as it is quite a way off downtown...
But then, it's a Westin so at least hotel should be great.
Rarely have been so wrong before.
Incompetent staff - ok, we were early for check in, told our rooms would be available in about 1 hour, just to return 2 hours later and hear the exact same story from the same guy at reception???
Finally got our rooms and first thing you notice coming in is pretty poor maintenance standard (I know, it's China, but even for China was poor given the hotel category).
Tired of waiting for rooms kept them though.
Next extremely annoying thing is the elevators. Don't know who planned this hotel, but a bit common sense might bring the point up that just 4 elevators might lead to substantial waiting time for guests. Having service personnel using the same elevators (sorry, I'm not interested what someone has ordered in room-service) is just annoying in the end.
Last low-light was breakfast buffet, that was very sparsely filled, especially for non Chinese wishes.
Overall a maybe ok experience - had it been any random Chinese 3star hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karsten T

Dear Mr. Karsten,

Thank you very much for your precious comments. We regret to hear about your experience during your stay, and we would like to offer our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

Regarding your feedback about elevator use, room maintenance and breakfast variations, we have already reflected the problems to related departments, and will certainly work on better management and improvements. Especially for guest elevator use by associates because normally it's strictly prohibited unless in exceptional circumstances, i.e. staff elevators out of order. Once again please accept our apology about the delayed check-in time, due to high room occupancy on the day, it has taken us longer than expected to turn over rooms for arrival guests. I understand that our on-duty GSM has received your feedback and have offered free breakfast on the next day as a token of goodwill and compensation.

Nevertheless, In Westin our aim is to make guests feel at their best, and have a relax and renewal stay, and we hope that next time when you visit Xiamen, you will give us another chance for creating a satisfying stay for you. Our Guests Experience Manager has also sent you an email regarding your previous stay, and also if there's anything we can do to prepare for your next visit, please don't hesitate to let us know and we will definitely try our best to arrange for you. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you again at The Westin Xiamen.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

The room was very nicely furnished. Complimentary fruit basket was welcome.
Staff very friendly. Excellent location in city center. Breakfast excellent.
Definitely will visit again.
Recommended without any reservation.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks very much for your positive comment. We are glad that you are satisfied with your stay with us. At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived, that's why we will keep developing our services and products to make sure our guests are well taken care of. Once again we thank you for your recognition, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel near the Gulangyu Ferry, this may not be your best choice. Me and my girlfriend came to Xiamen to celebrate her bday and I wanted to do something special during her bday and I'm really glad that Mr. Joao Jeremias (guest experience manager) helped me to organize some surprises. She really love the living room full with ballons! We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank very much for your positive comment. It's our honor that you choose to spend such a special day at our hotel, and we wish you and your girlfriend had a happy birthday! At Westin it is our aim to make sure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived, and we are glad that you are satisfied with our service and special arrangement for your birthday surprise. We are pledged to creating memorable moments for our guests continuously, and we hope that next time when you come to Xiamen again, we will still be your first choice. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Everything is first rate, the room, the staff, etc. Rooms are very clean and spacious. The upgrade for SPG is always available. The variety of food in the restaurant is excellent including fresh squeezed juices for breakfast. I would highly recommend this hotel for any stay in Xiamen.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Westin X, General Manager at The Westin Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your positive comments, and we are glad that you are satisfied with your stay with us. We really appreciate your consistent support as a SPG member, and it is our pleasure to have served you for your every stay with us. It's worth mentioning that from now to 2014.6.30, all SPG members are entitled to 25% discount on each and every meal at Seasonal Taste, Qba and Zen5es. Thank you once again. We understand that a home away from home is very important for a traveling guest and we hope we will still be your first choice when you visit Xiamen again. We look forward to welcoming you again!