“Nice rooms and great views”

Kempinski Hotel Xiamen
Ranked #12 of 1,269 Hotels in Xiamen
Africa
“Nice rooms and great views”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night. Arrived late at night and left early in the morning soon after breakfast. The rooms are big and so is the bathroom. We had dinner at the Chinese restaurant. It was ok. The restaurant is so huge that it somehow loses that personal or intimate touch. I loved the breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and I truly appreciate your valued comments which are very much appreciated.

May I take this opportunity to apologize for the problem you encountered regarding the lack of personal touch during our service, we shall address this point you mentioned appropriately and I sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Xiamen during which time you may experience the standard of service commensurate with Kempinski.

Once again I thank you for choosing Kempinski Xiamen during your recent visit and for your valued comments.

Nick Eeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Disappointed is probably the best word to describe my recent stay at the Kempinski Xiamen. It started well when we were met as scheduled at the airport and escorted to our hotel car. While driving to the hotel we were provided wet clothes for refreshing and in car wireless for updating phones and computers. Additionally, we were provided a bit of background on Xiamen by the bell man who rode with us. Upon arrival we were greeted politely and regularly by all staff. Check-in went smoothly and we then were escorted to our room by the "lady in red", which is either a standard Kempinski position or a hotel position. Either way, a nice personal touch. Our room provided a lovely view of the lake and city. However, the room itself was a bit dingy with stained carpet and couch. The air conditioning would not cool the room and would not allow us to lower it to do so. I had requested foam pillows and the result was one of the worst pillows I have ever been provided. It was dense, hard, and "shaped" to support your neck. Thanks, but no thanks. While at the hotel we had the lunch buffet, which I can't say much for. Plenty to choose from, but the quality was severely lacking. Breakfast was pleasant with a large selection of both Western and Chinese options. In both cases, service was sufficient. The highlight of the stay was visiting the Paulaner Brew House in the hotel. Not because the food was great, it wasn't. But, the conversation we shared with the young man from Switzerland who is training in hotel management was very nice and he left us feeling very welcomed. We took a car back to the airport the next morning. Same car, different driver and not bell man to ride along. The driver spoke no English at al, but fortunately we had no issues and arrived without a problem. Not a bad hotel, but certainly not up to the standard of other luxury properties in China and well below the standard in other parts of the world.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly thanks for the evaluation and approval of our service. Also I'm happy that our management trainee in Paulaner can leave you a good impression through the pleasant conversation. Then may I take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered regarding the light, air conditioning and sanitation problem of the room and either the unsatisfying pillow and buffet lunch, rest assured we shall address this point you mentioned appropriately and I sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Xiamen during which time you may experience the standard of service commensurate with Kempinski.

izmir
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am very sorry from the hotel management for the 3 stars because they are one of the best in Xiamen, but when you compare it with other Kempinski hotels ( for example the one in Istanbul) around the world they are average. The rooms are clean and very large and the staff is perfect. Especially the French lady at the lobby bar and the great Swiss guy in German pub are made my day, specially thanks for their kind friendship. The breakfast and lounge at the open buffet was really something with so many choices from eastern and western cuisine but the Chinese restaurant was really below standards according to many criteria like hygiene for instance. This is one of the strong options in Xiamen if you are visiting Xiamen for 2-3 days especially for business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

May I take this opportunity to apologise for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. It is through such constructive feedback that we are able to continuously improve our Chinese restaurant. Rest assured we feel such an hour that you enjoyed our room, the breakfast and lounge buffet also leave you a good impression. Especially I'm happy that our foreign management trainees can provide you a high quality service. I sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Xiamen during which time you may experience the standard of service commensurate with Kempinski.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed there 2 nights (with 1 night break inbetween). The first night we arrived at 9 pm, we checked in but the door to our room would not open. It took quite a while to convince the staff to change the room, instead of just trying and trying to open the door again (which did not work). The second night we arrived at 4 pm - and the room was not ready as well. Rooms were clean, breakfast ok, air condition in the room cannot be adjusted, beds are not very comfortable. Don't ask the concierge for recommandations for restaurants/bar's. We did ask, and were hugly dissapointed as they (we asked more than once) did not understand at all what we wanted.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ALHongKong
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

May I take this opportunity to apologise for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. It is through such constructive feedback that we are able to continuously improve our services. Rest assured we shall address the points you mentioned about room problems appropriately and I sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Xiamen during which time you may experience the standard of service commensurate with Kempinski.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel was GREAT, it's a definitely must stay and good to be in the city that they call the south beach of China. Has great food inside and many people that speak english there. Not really much to say but STAY HERE if you are in the area and can afford to, you will not even notice that you are not in AMERICA anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is indeed my pleasure to have you stay in Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and truly appreicate your valued comment regarding our food and hotel employees' English level, and we shall address it accordingly.

I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back once again upon your next visit to Xiamen.

Best regards,

Bucharest
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here 4 nights in room number 2025 at the 20th floor on a business trip to a medical exhibition.

The is definitely a luxury first class 5 stars hotel and you can feel it from the beggining.

Location is a little bit far away from downtown, about 10-15 minutes by taxi, but in a very green part of the city near the lake. Otherwise there are not many things to do in the nearby proximity.

Breakfast was gorgeus. Rooms are large and comfortable, the bathroom huge and extremly impressive, having the most beatiful view I have ever had from a bathtube.

The general experience was positive but I consider that for the Kempinski standard there are still things to be improved:

1. Cleanliness: during my entire stay, the office desk and table from the room was full of heavy dust who looked like haven't been clean for weeks. I had to take some nepkins to clean this furniture in order to be able to sit and work on the office desk. For Kempinski standard, this is unbelivable.

2. Taxi problem: I experienced in front of this hotel the longest period of time waiting for a taxi from my life: about 30 minutes. Ussualy, the minimum period of waiting was about 10-15 minutes. I know that the Xiamen city developed a lot and the taxi companies didn't follow the same increasement, being a lack of taxies in the city, but I really suggest the management of this hotel to sign a contract with a taxi company in order to get permanently at least 5 taxies in front of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AndreiFilipache
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

May I take this opportunity to apologise for the cleanliness in room and taxi problem, rest assured we shall address this point you mentioned appropriately and I sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Xiamen during which time you may experience the standard of service commensurate with Kempinski.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 11, 2014

An absolutely all rounded hotel. There is nothing to complain about and I have no regrets staying there. Great staff, great service, very luxurious, comfortable and clean rooms. Absolutely loved the night spent there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jenny P, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

It is indeed my pleasure to have you stay in Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and truly appreicate your valued comment regarding hotel service and room, and we shall address it accordingly.

Best regards,