“Kempinski Hotel Experience”

Ranked #13 of 1,272 Hotels in Xiamen
Lisle, Illinois
“Kempinski Hotel Experience”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a great hotel and very majestic. The lobby is gigantic and very open with a nice sitting area to have a drink and relax. Their is a decent restaurant on the 2nd floor and a Paulaner beer hall on the 1st floor. The rooms have a very scenic view overlooking the lake. The room layout and amenities are nice. The soft drinks and most beers in the refrigerator are free. A little on the high side for cost, $160, but would be much more expensive in the states or most other places. I think a great place if you are on business or like staying at great hotels. The staff are extremely friendly and I had no problem communicating with them in English. The breakfast is really nice and came with the room.

Room Tip: Chose rooms overlooking the lake
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marc K
Veronique H, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

It is indeed our pleasure to have you stay in Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back once again upon your next visit to Xiamen.

Nick Eeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Romblon Island, Philippines
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Before my Family and I departed on our trip , we had decided to have a couple of days in a flash hotel to finish our vacation , we choose to stay in the Kempinski after it had been highly recommended by German friend who is a resident in Xiamen . We were not disappointed , absolutely fabulous . The rooms ( were amazing ) , the service , everything . Location is fine , a walk down the lake at night to the Marco polo area is really nice . A great dumpling shop around the corner too . if you fancy a little bit luxury I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Romblondavid
Veronique H, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, July 17, 2013

Nick Eeles
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed from April 24 - 27 (3 nights) for business. Friendly reception, and was asked if I wanted to apply for a membership card. Er - OK - but I usually stay at the Marriotts, since the latter upgraded me to gold status, ha ha. Nice welcome fruits / snack / drink in the room. They even have a little ashtray in a gift box. I don't smoke so that's a giveaway! Great breakfast spread. No complaints on the food department - you have lots of choices for both Asian and Western selections. Coffee was brewed on the spot, not the pre-brewed and kept on a warmer stove kind. Definitely a wonderful stay and will return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

When you drive to the hotel from the airport you can´t miss it in the skyline of Xiamen. The building is huge and totally new. The lobby is very impressive and huge. Nicely arranged flowers and a bar on the left side, on the right side there is the reception. The staff is very friendly however not all of them speak good enough English to ensure an easy communication. But as there are always a few people there you will always find someone who can help you. The rooms are gorgeous, very nice done, very clean and the bathroom is also nice with a glass walls. The bed was very soft, even a bit too soft for my back. In the hotel itself there is a german "Brauhaus" which serves excellent german food as well as several different beers. The main beer they are doing themselves in-house and it was really good. They also have a live band there but the quality of their music was rather bad, sometimes we could only laugh about it because it was so hilarious. I was told the band changes from time to time and i really hope when I get back they will have a different one. Outstanding is the breakfast buffet, I have never seen something like this and after a two week stay in Asia it was a pure pleasure to get some really good bread as well as european jam and cheese. The buffet is very very big and they have just everything i could possibly think of. Even the coffee was good and that is certainly something not so usual for Asia. Overall I enjoyed my stay there very much and I can totally recommend this Hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M_a_r_a_964
Toronto
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights on a vacation package booked through an airline website from Hong Kong (included the airfare - via Dragon Air), therefore quite a good deal. Excellent new hotel. Location was good too with brief taxi ride to Xiamen attractions (RMB 12) to the pier. Service excellent. Room clean and very modern. Breakfast was included in our rate and very extensive, the Chinese food has more choices than Western. WiFi was free and fast.
Basically very happy with our stay.
There is a very nice restaurant close by (in fact several - we went to 舒友), within walking distance, just half way across the bridge, on the left hand side, some steps to walk down to the river side.

Room Tip: Book through a package might give better rate, or shop around from hotel booking sites.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jenny P, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this review, January 6, 2013

Jenny
LAX
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Initially, I had a little trouble with my reservation and I was a little apprehensive about my choice. Luckily, Jeffery the front desk manager took care of everything upon arrival and things only got better.

This was my first trip to China so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I booked the hotel car upon arrival and everything was smooth. Since not knowing what to expect, I wanted someone to greet us. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were briskly ushered to the executive level for check-in. This was nice since the lobby check-in always looks rather crowded.

The hotel lobby is large…..it is an expansive and impressive scene. The executive floor is on the 22nd level and has nice views of the river. The executive lounge itself is very nice also. I like how the lounge is separated into one large section and a more intimate smaller room. I am a huge fan of the Mandarin Oriental including their service and décor. I think the Xiamen Kempinski was every bit the quality of the Mandarin.

My stay was about 24 nights. During this time, I got to know a lot of the staff personally. In my experience, I have never met a more delightful and engaged staff. Their English was hit or miss, but their attitude was top-notch. Normally, my experience with Chinese is Singapore or Indonesia…..and we all know how rude and unfriendly Singaporean Chinese are (sorry, Singapore but you know it is true).

Upon arrival, I was properly upgraded with my GHA membership. Obviously, this benefit is as-available but I did later learn that the hotel takes this benefit seriously and makes every effort at providing the upgrade. The GHA member card is a very fair and valuable program. As a black member now, I am more likely to stay in a GHA hotel versus my Ritz-Carlton Gold (1 room upgrade) benefit.

The rooms themselves are very tastefully designed and I luckily visited every room type including the Presidential Suite. The standard room itself is very nice. Each floor has three suites in two different floor plans. I liked both suite floor plans – each having a few advantages over the other. The Diplomatic suite was rather large and had a nice bar. The Presidential Suite was not really complete with all items since rarely rented…..but I didn’t like it much….seemed like a KTV den.

My room was a Grand Deluxe Suite on floor 17. With all suites are club benefits. Either you value this benefit a lot or possibly not…I am the type that loves the quiet atmosphere. I don’t drink but I think the alcohol selection was larger than a few other clubs I’ve visited in the past. The daily food selection was also nice. I talked to the Executive Chef Markus on several occasions. My compliments were as follows: I loved the dripping breakfast honeycombs, the juice glass bottles, and the cinnamon loaf. I also thought the alfredo sauce with the penn was heavenly…..it was rich. Markcus previously arrived from the Shangri-La in Surabaya and the Indonesian Shangri-La is known for its immense and incredible breakfast. This was 85% as good. The food needs to be labeled would be my only gripe.

The suite room itself was tastefully done in a mixture of complimentary fabrics and colors. The little mini-bar is nice…..the ambient lighting is nice in the room when set to an evening setting. The automatic curtains is a nice touch. I think the curtains could use a little more coverage from the outside – as I like to sleep late and like total darkness. The bathroom had a small TV above the tub. It would have been nice if I could have figured how to work it. So it was a TV or a one-way mirror for the Chinese government to spy – I really don’t know. The suite has two bathrooms. The bed itself is very comfortable and the Duvet is very soft. I also visited my employees room which was a Deluxe and it was basically the same thing only smaller. I think you can’t go wrong in whatever room you choose.

I visited the gym daily. It was nice…..and as expected of any 5-star. I did stop by the salon as I was leaving the gym one evening. It is inside the hotel. This was a major mistake. I didn’t ask the price…..and 30 minutes later I was signing a bill for 680rmb ($108). I was shocked. I’d never paid over $40-45 in America and this con-artist was charging me $108. I was mad. Avoid this trap…and keep running.

The hotel’s location is super. It’s rather centrally located – but all the major 5-stars seem to be within eye distance. The taxi system needs a little work and is not the fault of the hotel. For such a nice city, they shouldn’t allow this behavior. One of the quirks is from like 4-6:30pm, the driver will drop you within eye distance of your destination. If they see where you want to go, you might get a stop and a pay now.

Ultimately, the big plus was the attitude and friendliness of the staff. I have to say this was my first trip to China so I can’t give you any reference to other Chinese cities. I can just say I that the management of the Xiamen Kempinski has got an excellent HR department. I own my own company and know how important employees are to any operation.

I know there are several 5-stars to stay within Xiamen now. I am sure each have their plus and minus…..but there will not be another hotel for me. If you think I am being too easy on them read my review on the Jakarta Kempinski for a 1-star review. I’m not an easy person….but the Kempinski Xiamen deserves its praise and success.

Note – I want to say the Kempinski Xiamen forwarded my diet coke mini-bar request to the Kempinski Jakarta. When I opened my mini-bar in Jakarta, it was full of diet coke. My only displeasure with Kempinski was later discovering the benefits of the club mini-bar are different at each hotel. The hotel chain needs to standardize rules across the chain – or make it clear. Plus, I hate those charge immediately mini-bars that have sensors under the drink floor. To me it is cheap. Plus, the décor of the Jakarta hotel is cheap….ugghh, I can’t stop complaining about that visit. What was up with those lobby iron cheap junk chairs? I saw some businessman sitting in them in Jakarta and thought what a fool he looks like…I would be embarrassed to meet any client sitting in that chair. The high-back wing sofas in Xiamen are incredible. They are scattered around the lobbies and they were impressive!

Room Tip: Deluxe and Grand Deluxe and basically same - just Grand is higher. Executive is same - only higher...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Indo-bule
Dear Valued Guest:

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and we truly appreciate your valued and constructive comments which are very much appreciated.

It is our great hornor that you have a memorable experience during your stay with us.

Once again we thank you for choosing Kempinski Hotel Xiamen during your first visit to China and for your valued comments. We sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Hotel Xiamen.

Best regards
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is definately a 5 star hotel. Very nice, but about a 40 minute cab ride from anything. Excellent breakfast buffet and beautiful site. We were part of a Sinorama tour and stayed 2 nights. Area being developed and in 5 years there will be a lot around hotel to see/do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends