Kempinski Hotel Xiamen
$52
$65
$44
Travelocity
All reviewsgerman restaurantgerman beerpaulaner brauhausduring weekendsnice hotelsleep qualitybreakfast buffet isexcellent staystayed for nightsthe ground floorspacious roomwater pressureswimming poolrain showerclub loungelobbybusiness
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Initially, I had a little trouble with my reservation and I was a little apprehensive about my choice. Luckily, Jeffery the front desk manager took care of everything upon arrival and things only got better.

This was my first trip to China so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I booked the hotel car upon arrival and everything was smooth. Since not knowing what to expect, I wanted someone to greet us. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were briskly ushered to the executive level for check-in. This was nice since the lobby check-in always looks rather crowded.

The hotel lobby is large…..it is an expansive and impressive scene. The executive floor is on the 22nd level and has nice views of the river. The executive lounge itself is very nice also. I like how the lounge is separated into one large section and a more intimate smaller room. I am a huge fan of the Mandarin Oriental including their service and décor. I think the Xiamen Kempinski was every bit the quality of the Mandarin.

My stay was about 24 nights. During this time, I got to know a lot of the staff personally. In my experience, I have never met a more delightful and engaged staff. Their English was hit or miss, but their attitude was top-notch. Normally, my experience with Chinese is Singapore or Indonesia…..and we all know how rude and unfriendly Singaporean Chinese are (sorry, Singapore but you know it is true).

Upon arrival, I was properly upgraded with my GHA membership. Obviously, this benefit is as-available but I did later learn that the hotel takes this benefit seriously and makes every effort at providing the upgrade. The GHA member card is a very fair and valuable program. As a black member now, I am more likely to stay in a GHA hotel versus my Ritz-Carlton Gold (1 room upgrade) benefit.

The rooms themselves are very tastefully designed and I luckily visited every room type including the Presidential Suite. The standard room itself is very nice. Each floor has three suites in two different floor plans. I liked both suite floor plans – each having a few advantages over the other. The Diplomatic suite was rather large and had a nice bar. The Presidential Suite was not really complete with all items since rarely rented…..but I didn’t like it much….seemed like a KTV den.

My room was a Grand Deluxe Suite on floor 17. With all suites are club benefits. Either you value this benefit a lot or possibly not…I am the type that loves the quiet atmosphere. I don’t drink but I think the alcohol selection was larger than a few other clubs I’ve visited in the past. The daily food selection was also nice. I talked to the Executive Chef Markus on several occasions. My compliments were as follows: I loved the dripping breakfast honeycombs, the juice glass bottles, and the cinnamon loaf. I also thought the alfredo sauce with the penn was heavenly…..it was rich. Markcus previously arrived from the Shangri-La in Surabaya and the Indonesian Shangri-La is known for its immense and incredible breakfast. This was 85% as good. The food needs to be labeled would be my only gripe.

The suite room itself was tastefully done in a mixture of complimentary fabrics and colors. The little mini-bar is nice…..the ambient lighting is nice in the room when set to an evening setting. The automatic curtains is a nice touch. I think the curtains could use a little more coverage from the outside – as I like to sleep late and like total darkness. The bathroom had a small TV above the tub. It would have been nice if I could have figured how to work it. So it was a TV or a one-way mirror for the Chinese government to spy – I really don’t know. The suite has two bathrooms. The bed itself is very comfortable and the Duvet is very soft. I also visited my employees room which was a Deluxe and it was basically the same thing only smaller. I think you can’t go wrong in whatever room you choose.

I visited the gym daily. It was nice…..and as expected of any 5-star. I did stop by the salon as I was leaving the gym one evening. It is inside the hotel. This was a major mistake. I didn’t ask the price…..and 30 minutes later I was signing a bill for 680rmb ($108). I was shocked. I’d never paid over $40-45 in America and this con-artist was charging me $108. I was mad. Avoid this trap…and keep running.

The hotel’s location is super. It’s rather centrally located – but all the major 5-stars seem to be within eye distance. The taxi system needs a little work and is not the fault of the hotel. For such a nice city, they shouldn’t allow this behavior. One of the quirks is from like 4-6:30pm, the driver will drop you within eye distance of your destination. If they see where you want to go, you might get a stop and a pay now.

Ultimately, the big plus was the attitude and friendliness of the staff. I have to say this was my first trip to China so I can’t give you any reference to other Chinese cities. I can just say I that the management of the Xiamen Kempinski has got an excellent HR department. I own my own company and know how important employees are to any operation.

I know there are several 5-stars to stay within Xiamen now. I am sure each have their plus and minus…..but there will not be another hotel for me. If you think I am being too easy on them read my review on the Jakarta Kempinski for a 1-star review. I’m not an easy person….but the Kempinski Xiamen deserves its praise and success.

Note – I want to say the Kempinski Xiamen forwarded my diet coke mini-bar request to the Kempinski Jakarta. When I opened my mini-bar in Jakarta, it was full of diet coke. My only displeasure with Kempinski was later discovering the benefits of the club mini-bar are different at each hotel. The hotel chain needs to standardize rules across the chain – or make it clear. Plus, I hate those charge immediately mini-bars that have sensors under the drink floor. To me it is cheap. Plus, the décor of the Jakarta hotel is cheap….ugghh, I can’t stop complaining about that visit. What was up with those lobby iron cheap junk chairs? I saw some businessman sitting in them in Jakarta and thought what a fool he looks like…I would be embarrassed to meet any client sitting in that chair. The high-back wing sofas in Xiamen are incredible. They are scattered around the lobbies and they were impressive!

Room Tip: Deluxe and Grand Deluxe and basically same - just Grand is higher. Executive is same - only higher with club benefits. Then this same principle applies to suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Indo-bule
Jenny P, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

It was indeed our pleasure to have you stay with us at Kempinski Hotel Xiamen and we truly appreciate your valued and constructive comments which are very much appreciated.

It is our great hornor that you have a memorable experience during your stay with us.

Once again we thank you for choosing Kempinski Hotel Xiamen during your first visit to China and for your valued comments. We sincerely trust you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Kempinski Hotel Xiamen.

Best regards

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is definately a 5 star hotel. Very nice, but about a 40 minute cab ride from anything. Excellent breakfast buffet and beautiful site. We were part of a Sinorama tour and stayed 2 nights. Area being developed and in 5 years there will be a lot around hotel to see/do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Quite a striking addition to the Xiamen skyline . This hotel has only been open for 6 months and have to say they have some of the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever encountered . All of the rooms vary in size so don't be scared to ask for one of the larger rooms . On my second stay the room was double the size of the first one . Great German bar on the ground floor with a great micro brewery and excellent beer . You can sup on a one litre glass whilst enjoying the filipino band . Lovely executive lounge on the 22nd floor , with fantastic staff and good selection of food and drink . 25m swimming pool on the 5th floor ( would be nice if the local men didn't spit in it though!) . Respectable gym with good selection of equipment . All in all a great experience , Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is the kind of check-in nightmare that you like others to avoid. I prepaid a booking with breakfast. I brought a printed copy of the reservation. The hotel, at first, tried to register me at a higher rate, minus breakfast that I paid for, and then apologized and excluded the breakfast I prepaid. Further, they placed a RMB4000. deposit for possible "room wear and tear" on my credit card. This is not uncommon in tourist hotels in China for local market, but I have never encountered this in a luxury hotel, let alone without advice on the reservation, as a pre condition on a prepayment. Bizarre.
Food in the cafe is fair. Rooms are quite nice. Hotel decor is grandiose. Oversize lobby, oversize public halls, without rhyme, reason, or taste. Beautiful Health Fitness center.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank richjacobson18
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I picked this hotel since I have never stayed at a Kempinski before, and the Kempinski Xiamen is quite new - just opened in May. I like trying brand new hotel as well.
I'd have to say the room size is rather small in China' standard. Since there are three of us, staying in the deluxe twin room and adding an extra bed would mean no space to walk at all. We did get a free upgrade so we were happy with the space after the upgrade. There's free wifi in the hotel. It's very convenient. Most items in the mini bar are free.

There's also a bottle of juice, a bottle of canies, and a plate of food upon arrival. However, these items were not labelled. Whwn we asked the front desk, she checked and said that it was orange juice. We had a hard time making her believe that our bottle of juice was not orange in colour. We were apprehensive to drink it since we didn't know if it was fresh (it was just sitting on the coffee table). Thw fruit plate just had 2 small plums on it, much like leftover from the last guest. Again, the front desk girl insisted that that was the standard of what you get. I finally asked them to check it out while we went out for dinner and when we came back, some we had a new plate of fruit with more varieties which looked fresher.

The food service at the lounge was also disappointing. My Earl Grey tea was served with the tea bag in a cup of hot water, and the ingredients in the panini were just not as described.

These are all the small things that either make you feel pampered or bothered. Of course, when you add up all the small things, they just add to the unnecessary stress you are trying to avoid when on holidays.

for 2 nights from Sept. 22 to 24.

I am writing to especially command the very caring service we recieved by your staff, Ms Bella Liu, during check-in upon arrival. We were concerned about the size of the room, and she took time to show us to a few room types. Your Chief Concierge, Mr. Scott Su, was also friendly and helpful in recommending places around the hotel area, and giving directions to our driver.

While the service of these 2 staff, especially Bella, was exceptional, I would also like you to know we had an unpleasant experience at the lounge. The Earl Grey tea was served in a cup with the tea bag in. As this was not the proper way to prepare tea, there was no flavour to it. The panini that I ordered also turned into a sandwich of some sort. The 'sundried tomato' was replace by fresh tomoato, the cheese in the panini was not melted......it was just not how a panini is made.
There is much improvement in the food and beverage department if Kempinski is to become a top notch hotel in Xiamen.

Ramida Din