“It looked great,but...”

Ranked #623 of 1,258 Hotels in Xiamen
Ontario
“It looked great,but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I just spent 3 nights at the Ri Dong Garden Hotel In Xiamen. The hotel was arranged by one of the companies that I was visiting in Xiamen. It's a very nice location, located across the street from a very nice park with a lake and a great path for running.
The rate was very reasonable and the rooms were big and well laid out - the bed was very comfortable.
The rest of the story:
1. the air conditioning didn't work - I had help from housekeeping but it simply didn't work - the room never got below 27 degrees.
2. restaurant - the one day I was there for lunch I attempted to use the restaurant -billed as a buffet it's really a dim sum restaurant with lists of the offerings in chinese (no pictures to help you) The staff tried very hard but we were unsuccessful in getting me fed.
3. room service - after the failed attempt to in the restaurant I tried to order room service - I tried to order several things listed as on the menu - all unavailable.
4. wi fi is only available on the first 2 or 3 floors - I was on the 6th floor - in order to access wi fi I had to sit in the lobby (upside - it was cooler in the lobby than in my room)

The staff really tried - there was one young fellow working as a bellman who really went out of his way to try and help me. My advise - unless you are fluent in Mandarin or are travelling with someone with a working knowlege of it, I'd try another hotel.

Room Tip: stay on one of the first 3 floors to access wifi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

good value for money business hotel in xiamen with proper business rooms with wireless high speed internet.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ka21
Winchester, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

My stay here was difficult. If you travel to Xiamen, you know it is an island, and the manufacturing center is on the mainland. This hotel is also on the mainland which is much more convenient, for my work anyway. That is its main advantage.

When I arrived, I was told the non-smoking room i requested was not available. I was quite surprised when I learned later the hotel was nearly vacant. At check-in I was told I would be given a "sanitized" smoking room. I have no idea what that meant, since I found a cigarette butt on the floor of my room.

The buffet was OK, perhaps good, at dinner. Breakfast was another story. There was little decent western food. Most items were fried. One day I noticed the table had not been wiped off before a new place setting was laid down. On another day, when I arrived late, it seemed no tables had been bussed at all, just left dirty until they ran out of tables.

The fitness center is very small and does not open until 3 PM. Fortunately, there is a nice park across the street for jogging.

The room was large and comfortable. The building is new and in excellent condition. Hopefully, the management will improve.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business