“Great boutique hotel, good location.”
Review of Xiamen Tegoo Hotel

Xiamen Tegoo Hotel
Ranked #20 of 1,275 Hotels in Xiamen
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in early November. Hotel location is very good. You can easily walk (5-8 mins) to the ferry terminal that brings you over to Gulangyu Island. A 10-12 mins walk will bring you to the walking street of Zhong Shan Lu. This street is closed to vehicular traffic every night for pedestrians. Shops line both side of the street and you can pick up some souvenirs here.

Since this is a boutique hotel, there is actually no facilities within the hotel. There is also no information in the room about what they have in the hotel and attractions surrounding the hotel.

I was told the hotel is rather new - opened in 2011. Decor is good. Room corridor is lighted with warm purple lights which give it a rather unique feel. Room was of a good size and standard cleanliness. Toilet/bath is full glass without a wall. Guest in the room can see directly into the toilet. A curtain is provided if you need privacy while doing your business in the toilet.

Breakfast that was included in tihe room price was of good standards. There was a good selection of food, both international and Chinese dishes.

Room Tip: If your budget allows it, choose a room with a view of Gulangyu.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Xiamen Tegoo Hotel

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked a promo room in Tegoo hotel via Agoda (about 100 USD per night). It’s a boutique hotel, so the furnishings are not the usual hotel stuff you see. For our room, we had 1 entire wall painted with an underwater scenery, maybe because our room didn’t have any windows, that’s why its on promo? Please take note also that the bathroom dividers are all glass. They just have a sliding curtain if you want a little privacy, (I was told that many hotels in Xiamen are like this). Aside from the painted wall, the glass bathroom dividers, and the “groovy” hallways, everything was usual. The king sized bed was perfect after the long walks touring Xiamen. Service was okay, they have English speaking front desk officers who understood us. My gf destroyed the sliding curtains on the bathroom on the first night and they transferred us to another room (I thought they would transfer us to a room with a window but unfortunately, they just transferred us to new room with a new underwater scenery). With regards to the location of the hotel, it was pretty near everything which was the first consideration why I booked Tegoo – it was walking distance to the ferry to Gulagyu island, Zhongshan road, near taxi ride to Xiamen university etc. Last but definitely not the least, they offer a wide selection for our buffet breakfast (yes, the room we got from Agoda came with 30$ buffet breakfast for 2 already). Overall, I would recommend staying in Tegoo, good value for money!

Room Tip: Request if you could be upgraded to a room with windows! =)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I chose Tegoo hotel in xiamen bacuase of the proximity to the ferry terminal and zhongshanlu (shopping street with no vehicular traffic allowed). I never made a bad decision whenever I planned a trip, and this decision had never been better. The ferry going to Gulangyu island is about 10 minute walk from Tegoo. We paid ferry fares round trip of 8rmb. Climbed up all the way to the top and viewed the peak overlooking taiwan. (BREADTALK is right across ferry terminal if you want to buy your pastries and snacks). Zhongshanlu is also 10 minute walk from Tegoo. It is a shopping street with all kinds of branded name clothings, shoes, sports, and food. Near it was a small night market where you can find neat, unique and cheap clothings (no need to negotiate because it's the bottom price they give). also near it was a mini mall TING-AN and WALMART where you can buy all kinds of stuff you will ever need. of course, mcdonalds and kfc are just around the corner as well as watson's and pizza hut. Across Tegoo hotel is a fruit stall where you can buy the freshest fruit daily + convenience store. a few steps from Tegoo is a private hospital where they also have a bakery, SUNMILE, and small mini mart, just perfect!
Now, let's give credit to the invaluable staff of Tegoo hotel. I will start from the top level. Front desk manager Lionel Dai...this gentleman is undeniably and unquestionably generous and 100% customer service oriented. I read some good stuff about him in Tripadvisor and Agoda, and indeed, everything told was more than true. We arrived friday evening about 6pm checking in Tegoo. We booked a standard room with NO WINDOW as the most economical room one can ever get. Luckily, I mentioned his name while checking in, his staff pointed me to him as he was on duty, we shook hands as i congratulated him for his hotel reviews, and told him about our first visit in xiamen, and my wife and I celebrating our 18th anniversary....he instantaneously consulted with his front desk staff and delightfully came back and awarded us with a 1-bedroom suite, making our dreams come true. Imagine from a standard no window room, to a 1 bedroom suite with living room, 2 sets of windows, second toilet, bathtub, dresser, executive table, sliding closet, blackout drapes, and double the size of a standard room, I estimate the suite room to be 64 square meter. All Tegoo rooms are equipped with WIFI and all their beddings are installed with 1-inch memory foam (the very first hotel I ever slept on with memory foam). I would like to commend on his superior staff also in the likes of Gino, Missy, Jason, and restaurant manager, Green for extending excellent services during our stay. Therefore, if you are looking for a perfect hotel to stay while in xiamen whether it be business or pleasure, shopping, dining, and touring...look no further, this is just the right place to be with all the good attitude from the hotel staff. Congrats Lionel!

Room Tip: higher floors to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed here right after our Guangzhou trip. The lobby is warm with its lighting and chandeliers. Saw some cute decors which we thought was too childlike. The reception was also warm. But when we went up to our rooms, the first thing we noticed is the complex aisle leading to our room. The hallway was a bit dark. When we reached our room, it was even darker...even with all the lights on. The bathroom tiles were so dark which makes it even darker. You can see the actual photos I took.

If I were alone on this trip, I would not take this hotel as I would be scared to stay in this room alone. The size of our room is also smaller than we expected but if you just have to stay for a night, I think this is quite okay.

The buffet breakfast is great. Lots of choices. The setting and the atmosphere is also good. I don't think people will have a problem with the wide variety of food they offer.

The location is near the bay. We walked around the area and we passed by the Millenium Hotel which is nearer to the shopping and bargain district. We also passed by Starbucks near the bay area. By the way, the location is near the ferry terminal for Gulangyu Island, but not as near as the other hotel we passed by which is just across.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with the view on the bay/terminal side...Also with lighter colors like the ones I saw i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed at Tegoo Hotel for a night in August, 2011 and had a good time there.

The hotel is located on Xiamen's ocean front, and right next to the city's busiest street Zhongshan Road, close to major attractions of the city such as Gulang Island and Xiamen University.

Once I arrived at the hotel, I was invited to the executive lounge on the 21st floor for check-in where the hotel's Front Office Manager Mr. Dai greeted me in person. He apologized for the lack of food and snacks provided in the lounge at the moment, and offered us complimentary buffet dinner in the restaurant located on 5F, where the food was awesome.

Our suite was spacious with a huge bathroom. The bed was soft and comfy. Shortly after I settled down in my room, a staff came and provided us with welcome fruits and cookies, which was a very nice touch. Later, I realized that the air-condition in the room had some problems as it did not cool down the room. I informed the problem to the hotel and asked for a room change and I was told they would get back at me soon. Before long, one of the managers called and apologized for the issue. And I was upgraded to an over-sized sea-view suite (probably one of the largest in the hotel) with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Gulang Island (the city's most famous attraction). In the room there was a projector with screen, even though I didn't have the time to enjoy it. One minor issue was that the hotel didn't provide minibar, but there are convenient stores within walking distance, where you can get drinks and snacks.

Food wise, the buffet restaurant on 5F was fabulous, definitely to the standard of a five-star hotel, with a great selection of local dishes, international cuisines, and seafood. Unlike the buffet restaurant in the nearby Wyndham, where it always gets very crowded and noisy during dinner time, the restaurant in Tegoo Hotel is usually not that busy (probably because it is newly open), so definitely dine here if you prefer a quiet dinner.

Overall, I think it is a very good hotel with room for improvement. If you are tired of the chain hotels in Xiamen (Sheraton, Cronwe Plaza, Wnydham, etc.. ), Tegoo Hotel would be a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raffywu
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Tegoo hotel for two nights and I enjoyed my stay thouroughly! The interior of the hotel is spendid - modern & comfortable. I stayed in a standard room, which was very large compared to other hotels. Also the modern design made the room very nice. I also had the pleasure of seeing the boutique room.

The breakfast buffet included asian-style breakfast as well as western. All staff are very polite and helpful!

I will defineltely enjoyed my stay there and can only recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank mikamika865
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The boutique room is so cute:)) hahhah:p I miss the sesame toasts so badly :(((

Room Tip: good location and service; room is really big!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple