“5star hotel but service need improvement...”

The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang
Ranked #5 of 534 Hotels in Fuzhou
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nice room design with heavenly bed, soothing shower with spacious bath room, docking for iphone and the convenient lighting system... the room itself it just perfect!
Not much food selection in the club house but the place is cozy with river view...
The hotel is very clean except I saw dirty plate serve at breakfast area...
Front desk is not proactive when checking with them on nearby tourist info...
The concierge is definitely need for improvement, we have to ask for taxi ourselves everytime when we need one as no one cares about us standing at the main entrance...

Room Tip: perfect room if you don't care about the service... river view or mall view...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ivy h, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear distinguished guest,

many thanks for your feedback after your recent visit to our hotel. We were very concerned to read that our services didn’t up to your expectation. I would like to apologize for the shortfalls of service you encountered. The entire team and I regret this. We will try our utmost to enhance your staying experience by conducting more trainings and paying attention on service details. We look forward to seeing you in our hotel in the near future to feel our improvement.

Be well

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Everything you expect from Westin including super comfortable beds, soothing showers, Eco-friendly touches like in-room recycling options and in-room fitness kits. The gym and pool are high-quality health club level or better. I enjoyed some pasta with garlic/oil for dinner and an egg white omelette for breakfast. Both were superb. Room rate was great but restaurants are expensive. A 750ml Pellegrino ran 88rmb. 30 minutes to FuzhouNan station with no traffic. Location is right next to a newer shopping mall.

• Stayed: September 2012
ivy h, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Distinguished Guest, thank you for sharing your great feedback on the website. We are delighted that you enjoyed our services, room and other facilities. I will proudly convey your feedback to our associates.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcoming you back soon.
Wish you well on your journey.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I appreciate that it may be difficult to find staff in Fuzhou that can emulate international-standard service quality but I just don't see the effort on Westin's part to elevate the service level. Kitchen staff that can't make breakfast eggs (Over-easy or sunny side up? Forget it!), gym locker rooms where staff walk by a floor full of towels and slippers, sauna and hot bath that aren't turned on, lifeguard sleeping on the job (soundly)... The worse is doormen that are, at best lazy and ignorant and at worse, colluding with the taxi drivers. We got into a taxi queuing at the entrance and told the driver to go to a golf course 15 km away. He said it would cost a fixed fee of Rmb 150. We told him to turn the meter on but he said the trip is out of the city core and he needs to charge for the return fare as well. We complained to the doorman and he simply echoed what the driver said and told us all the taxis charge the same. When we got to the golf course and told the story to the receptionist, she said we just got scammed because average cost to get there is only Rmb 70 and that taxis must use meters, especially if picking up fares at the hotel. I complained to the front desk about the doorman when I got back but I could already sense a half-baked effort to do anything about it.

To Westin management if you are reading this review, best to spend your effort correcting the above issues than to waste time apologizing or giving excuses.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Macroplanner
ivy h, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Macroplanner
Thank you for taking the time providing your feedback to us. We are truly embarrassed and disappointed that this has happened to our valued guest and I would like to sincerely apologize to you on behalf of the entire team. I have passed your comments to our management team and to take preventive measures. We are looking forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

service great. Very poor food. Quality of buffet very disappointing for a 5 star hotel. Seems like they have no quality control. Only cater to local Chinese patrons

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank neilsa
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip recently and was very happy with all aspects of the hotel. Friendly efficient check-in and check-out, very spacious and comfortable room, fantastic bed and nice bathroom with great rainforest shower. Although there was some noise from doors closing on other floors, it wasn't an huge issue and as I was on a higher floor I didn't get any street noise. Overall a very pleasant stay and although it's in the less interesting newer part of town I'd definitely consider staying here again if I was in Fuzhou.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2012

First the good. The hotel fittings are of a decent quality. The rooms are of a decent size. The bed, one of the more comfortable I've found in Asia, although still too firm for me even with the integral mattress topper. The staff are pleasant and (mostly) speak enough English to get you the important things. The breakfast buffet is very good. The hotel is next to a shopping mall which gives the business traveller somewhere to walk round and important amenities such as Starbucks! The non-smoking rooms really are smoke free, this is a great thing in my experience of China.

However, the most important aspect of any hotel stay is the ability to get some sleep. I stay at hotels all the time and this is amongst the noisiest I have experienced. The first room I was in overlooked the shopping mall which has many large a/c fans on the roof. Until they shut down at 10pm each night the banging and clanking from the fans sounded like a construction site outside the window. I also noticed significant noise from doors slamming to people stomping around upstairs. There is zero soundproofing. I requested a move away from the fans and to a higher floor. In truth I was mostly hoping to escape all the noise from inside the hotel.

They moved me to a lower floor, but on the other side of the hotel, with a river (and road) view. This brought with it traffic noise, although this is less bother than the fans were, it does demonstrate that the windows provide no block to sound from outside. The sink is cracked. The a/c set for 17 degrees seems unable to get the room below 22. But by far the worst is the noise.

The hotel is a tower with 5 or 6 rooms around each side of the internal square. The lifts run up the centre of the tower. Because the actual distance between each room is not that great it means you hear very door on your floor as it bangs. You also hear every door from the floors above and below. In addition the bathroom and entry area of each room are echoey marble tiles. You hear all the noise from the bathrooms above and next door.

Last night I had been asleep 2 hours when someone close by decided to use the bathroom. I have no idea what they were doing but for 30 minutes there was a loud noise like a wheeled suitcase being dragged across a very rough pavement. I managed to get back to sleep. 3 hours later, I'm not kidding, it sounded like every door in the hotel was being banged at once and a large herd of elephants was stampeding across the floors. My room was shaking with the vibration. It was 4 am and this went on and on and on. I have no idea what it was, but it seemed to last forever. When I finally got back to sleep and dreamed I was in an earthquake.

Needless to say, this morning I am very tired and trying to do a day's work.

I have 4 more nights of this nightmare but, having moved rooms once, am reluctant to ask again. I won't be recommending the hotel to my colleagues and I will try the Shangri-La instead next time I have to come to Fuzhou.

Room Tip: Haven't found a quiet one yet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank herenthere1
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Surprisingly very quick check in and check ou in the morning rush hours! Since there are lots of business travelers staying here, I expected a longer wait for morning check out. But they had all counters open with extra staff on duty, it was instant! Other part of the service are the same with other westin properties. Would come back next time when I have to travel to Fuzhou.

Stayed: March 2012