“So noisy”

The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang
Ranked #5 of 525 Hotels in Fuzhou
“So noisy”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

First the good. The hotel fittings are of a decent quality. The rooms are of a decent size. The bed, one of the more comfortable I've found in Asia, although still too firm for me even with the integral mattress topper. The staff are pleasant and (mostly) speak enough English to get you the important things. The breakfast buffet is very good. The hotel is next to a shopping mall which gives the business traveller somewhere to walk round and important amenities such as Starbucks! The non-smoking rooms really are smoke free, this is a great thing in my experience of China.

However, the most important aspect of any hotel stay is the ability to get some sleep. I stay at hotels all the time and this is amongst the noisiest I have experienced. The first room I was in overlooked the shopping mall which has many large a/c fans on the roof. Until they shut down at 10pm each night the banging and clanking from the fans sounded like a construction site outside the window. I also noticed significant noise from doors slamming to people stomping around upstairs. There is zero soundproofing. I requested a move away from the fans and to a higher floor. In truth I was mostly hoping to escape all the noise from inside the hotel.

They moved me to a lower floor, but on the other side of the hotel, with a river (and road) view. This brought with it traffic noise, although this is less bother than the fans were, it does demonstrate that the windows provide no block to sound from outside. The sink is cracked. The a/c set for 17 degrees seems unable to get the room below 22. But by far the worst is the noise.

The hotel is a tower with 5 or 6 rooms around each side of the internal square. The lifts run up the centre of the tower. Because the actual distance between each room is not that great it means you hear very door on your floor as it bangs. You also hear every door from the floors above and below. In addition the bathroom and entry area of each room are echoey marble tiles. You hear all the noise from the bathrooms above and next door.

Last night I had been asleep 2 hours when someone close by decided to use the bathroom. I have no idea what they were doing but for 30 minutes there was a loud noise like a wheeled suitcase being dragged across a very rough pavement. I managed to get back to sleep. 3 hours later, I'm not kidding, it sounded like every door in the hotel was being banged at once and a large herd of elephants was stampeding across the floors. My room was shaking with the vibration. It was 4 am and this went on and on and on. I have no idea what it was, but it seemed to last forever. When I finally got back to sleep and dreamed I was in an earthquake.

Needless to say, this morning I am very tired and trying to do a day's work.

I have 4 more nights of this nightmare but, having moved rooms once, am reluctant to ask again. I won't be recommending the hotel to my colleagues and I will try the Shangri-La instead next time I have to come to Fuzhou.

Room Tip: Haven't found a quiet one yet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank herenthere1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
China
Reviewed March 27, 2012 via mobile

Surprisingly very quick check in and check ou in the morning rush hours! Since there are lots of business travelers staying here, I expected a longer wait for morning check out. But they had all counters open with extra staff on duty, it was instant! Other part of the service are the same with other westin properties. Would come back next time when I have to travel to Fuzhou.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Lost25
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My family and I just recently stayed at the Westin in Fuzhou. It was a very pleasant get away from the chaos that is Fuzhou. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Whenever we would leave for the day the concierge would write down the addresses we needed to get around. The complimentary breakfasts were amazing and our stay here was very relaxing.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room on a lower level since the higher rooms tend to be warmer.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheAdventuresofMags
New Mexico
Reviewed December 19, 2011

After 6 months, this hotel has matured a lot! The dinner buffet offered a huge array of seafood options. And the breakfast buffet was excellent-- each dish artfully prepared and visibly appealing. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Liked the rain forest shower too?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Hotel has no ambience badly laid out and while the room I had was large it was smelly
Shower took a day to get fixed
The local staff have very limited knowledge of English but some international staff are available
Special words to Jim in the club lounge who is friendly helpful and and knows the area

• Stayed December 2011
Langkawi, Malaysia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I chose to stay at The Westin Fuzhou Minjiang as I was there for a conference. I must say that the hotel was so lovely that I could have stayed in the room all day!

I had wonderful sleep every night, thanks to the Heavenly Bed. The room was spacious and cozy. Associates were very friendly and warm, especially Doreen who was very patient with me upon check-in and check-out (although there was some mistakes on the bill due to miscommunication). Great job!

Breakfast experience was good. However, it'd be better if I didn't have to ask for milk, teaspoon and sugar everytime I dine. Other than that, everything was excellent! I'll be back for a holiday should any chance brings me back to Fuzhou.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sweetnov86
Honolulu
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Westin just after it opened in November when I got stuck In fuzhou for the night unexpectedly. The service was great and the room was fanatastic for the price. I'd stay there again with no hesistation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business