“Good value and comfort”

Ranked #7 of 522 Hotels in Fuzhou
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
“Good value and comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

After years visiting suppliers in Fuzhou and staying at the same Hotel (ShangriLa Hotel) I realized that, although ShangriLa Hotel is an exceptional place to stay, I was paying big bucks for services that I actually did not have the proper time to use. So I focused into a Hotel with comfortable room, good location and a staff fluent in English (not very common in China). This Best Western was a good find. Room is well decorated, not so big but with all you may need during your stay ( thumbs up for the excellent feather pillows and top quality linen), breakfast offers a good selection for all tastes, Hotel is centrally located and close to a park with plenty of green, it is silent and costs about 40% less than I was used to (although the word "Fortune" in the name may indicate the opposite).Since I leave after breakfast and return at night that sounded the right place to stay.
Unfortunately this Hotel has no gym at the premises (I like to exercise in the morning before leaving) or a swimming pool. Also staff is not able to answer more complex questions (I needed to register into the Best Western loyalty program and 3 persons at front desk were involved in a discussion to understand what I needed and how to proceed. The same happened when I called reception asking about the existence of a gym: I talked to 3 persons and no one understood the question, although made in many different ways). As this Hotel is located in a secondary street, some taxis find it difficult to reach (adding to this, there is another Best Western in downtown area that leads to more confusion). All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: 1- Ask for rooms facing the park side 2 - If you do not smoke make sure to have a non smoking room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank puhma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Overall the hotel is clean and nice. It is considered reasonable to enjoy certain level of comfort with higher hotel rate. Great location as you can easily explore Fuzhou city by taking taxi or public bus from this hotel. Free and fast wifi (heard this service is only provided for rooms at odd floor number such as floor 1, 3, 5...) allows me to call my family by using Viber.

However, it still has space to improve. Daily breakfast is good but remains unchanged during my 2 weeks business trip with this hotel. Reception staffs are not friendly and well-trained as most of them do not know the direction to famous scenic spot in the city. One of them even yawned in front of me when he explained.

I would like to stay in this hotel for my next business trip to Fuzhou.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Julius_Chew
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

The hotel has a great location and in a nice, safe setting in Fuzhou. Room is small but comfortable. Beds and pillows are comforable, much better than I have had in China at other hotels. Beware of the shower, it has a handheld unit and a rain shower head in the ceiling. MAKE SURE the dial is turned to the rain shower part before you turn it on or you and the entire room will get a soaked. But it has consistent hot water and a really nice size. AC works just fine to keep the room comfortable. Breakfast room is beautiful and the food is decent. There are enough western choices to fill you up.
Staff is really polite and do their best to ensure your stay is comfortable and get you what you need.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends if they visit Fuzhou as a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank berlywa
Oviedo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

While hidden off of the main drag, this hotel was very acceptable. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. The amenities of the hotel more than offset the challenge of finding it ( even our cab driver had trouble). Don't miss the beautiful park at the end of the street. Great place for a walk or run to stretch out after long travels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank wadleyfla
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

I stayed at the hotel from 5th Apr to 16 Apr (total of 10 nights) for a business trip with 2 of my colleagues. The hotel is clean, nicely renovated and decorated so we had a very good impression of the hotel upon arriving.

But we do have some issues with the service provided at the reception. Upon arriving, the staff requested for RMB6000 deposit for our stay, which we gladly provided using our credit card.

On the 8th day of my stay (13 Apr), my hotel key was deactivated and I was unable to enter my room. I thought the hotel key was faulty and went down to the reception and told them about the problem. Without checking, the receptionist took my key card and reactivated and told me that I can enter the room now. However, my colleague received a call from the reception at 1130PM to request her to go down to the reception desk IMMEDIATELY to top up her deposit if it is not too troublesome for her.

I feel that it's ridiculous for the hotel to request for the guest to top up their deposit at 1130PM. In the first place, when the system deactivated our hotel key due to lack of deposit, the hotel staff should have told us to top up the deposit before reactivating our key. But the hotel staff did not bother to check why our card was deactivated and activated our card without any query. Is it our fault that the hotel staff did not ask us to top up the deposit when we went to activate the card?

Furthermore, when I went to top up my deposit the next day, the hotel requested for additional RMB2000 for the remaining 2 nights stay. I questioned on the basis and computation of the deposit as it is twice the amount of the accomodation for two nights. She replied that normally they will take twice the amount for deposit. However, this does not tally with the initial deposit amount which is RMB6000, going by that basis, the hotel should have deactivated my card once i exceeded RMB 3000 as they require 2 times the amount for deposit. Hence, STAFF IS NOT TRAINED AND DO NOT KNOW THE BASIS OF DEPOSIT. she is unable to explain and sounds like she will deduct any amount she likes for deposit.

After deducting RMB2000 from my credit card, she asked me if I'm the card holder and occupant, which is a dumb question. It is illegal to hold another person's card n swipe, she should have asked me that BEFORE she swipe and ask me to signed on the slip. I told her of course i am. She did not bother to verify my identity when I top up my deposit, this shows the poor level of training the staff received.

Moreover, the road leading to the hotel is v narrow, hence, there's always alot of horning going on, esp at night which is disturbing when I'm trying to get some work done or get some rest.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business