“Great service”

Ranked #3 of 975 Hotels in Hefei
Shanghai, China
“Great service”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Check in was really friendly and efficient. Rooms are comfortable with good wifi connections and really comfortable beds. The pool is lovely and is a great temperature. The only downside is that the vegetarian options at the lunch and breakfast buffet is somewhat limited. But overall, a very good experience and probably the best hotel in Hefei. I would recommend for business/pleasure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Westin H, Manager at The Westin Hefei Baohe, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear MattB6,

Thank you for staying with us and spending the time to share lots of your valuable comments.We feel honored to received such postive feedback from you, especially point out our room and swimming pool, hope you enjoyed a wonderful journey here! In the meantime, thanks for your suggestion on our buffet towards the variety of vegetarian options, thus we need pay more attention on it!

Let me also take the opportunity to thank you for your continuous loyalty to The Westin Hefei.We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife, two daughters (ages 7 & 10) and I stayed at the Westin Hefei Baohe for 5 nights in mid-August. It is a beautiful modern hotel that is a great place to stay in a not so great city.

Getting to the hotel
We somewhat foolishly decided to take the Airport Bus from Hefei’s new airport to the general area of the hotel. My wife had taken it earlier by herself, said it was good, and she also called the hotel to confirm whether it dropped us off close to the hotel. She was told it dropped people off across the street from the hotel which was not correct. So the kids, wife and I pulled, dragged and carried six bags from the drop off location to the hotel. It wasn’t that far, we could see the upper floors from the drop off point, and luckily there was a little road that connected our location to the hotel, but it was not across the street.

Hotel first impression
The hotel is part of a really nice development of a shopping mall (Wanda Plaza) and apartments, and borders the Baohe Park (hence the hotel’s name). It’s a beautiful building from the outside, very clean lines, looks new, and there are a lot of fancy, expensive cars parked outside including a black Lamborghini which my kids absolutely loved. The bellhop saw us walking up the driveway with our bags, sweating buckets of sweat in the heat, and he rushed out to take our bags and put them on a baggage cart.

Check-in process / front desk service
Really no issues here, it wasn’t that busy and we waited for a couple minutes at most. The front desk clerk was friendly and professional, no issue with communication. The whole process took 10 minutes at most, very satisfied with the staff’s speed and efficiency. I had made two separate reservations (the first on for 4 days, then we made one for an additional day), the front desk clerk was helpful and said we could keep the same room. My wife had an upgrade certificate and we were given a room on the Starwood Preferred (20th) floor which essentially meant free Wi-Fi.

We changed money a couple times over the course of our stay, and I never had a problem finding someone to help. We did have some issues with our room keys, one would work and the other would not, but we eventually got it all straightened out and ended up with two keys that worked.

Lobby
The lobby is quite grand, decorated very nicely, with a great mural on the wall, and some very nice furniture. Plenty of space in the lobby, but not a whole lot of seating, and most of the chairs/couches are used by people hanging out using the free Wi-Fi.

Room
This being our third hotel in China during our trip, there is definitely a pattern followed for guest rooms. The room was almost identical to the Hilton Xian except for a few color differences. Our room had two double beds which for a family of four was quite suitable especially since our kids are still fairly young. The main room had the two beds, desk, TV and closets. The bathroom with windows looking out to the room is broken up into 3 sections: toilet, shower, and sink/tub. The room felt new, modern, and updated, and it was in pretty good shape with very little wear and tear. We had a great view of the Wanda shopping plaza across the street, a busy intersection, and a bit of Baohe Park. I had a lot of fun watching the crazy driving habits exhibited on Hefei’s streets, good entertainment value.

Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room clean, and they did so before Noon each day. There were a couple times housekeeping came by when we were in the room, I was impressed that the housekeeper could speak some English, and did so rather well!

Food & drink
The kids and I ate one dinner at Seasonal Tastes restaurant at the hotel. The waitress was very friendly and kind toward us which we appreciated. The biggest drawback was the price, the food was very expensive. Comparable dishes to the Hilton Xian were 30% higher which was a little hard for me to accept. But the food was good, the kids had no complaints, so it worked out fine.

Swimming pool
It was mandatory to have a swimming pool for our kids, and this pool was OK when compared to the other hotels we stayed at. The size was good, the view outside was fine, and the changing facilities were good. My biggest complaint was the fact that there were a lot of broken/missing tiles on the swimming pool floor. My youngest daughter even picked up a whole loose tile. To me in an expensive hotel like this, there should not be so many issues with the pool floor. There are hot tubs in the changing areas, would prefer it to be out with the pool, but can’t do much about that.

Surrounding area
There is a huge, new Wanda mall right across the street, and we spent a lot of time there. In the mornings we’d head over to Starbucks for coffee and cakes, and we’d also have steamed bread and dumplings at a dumpling restaurant on the 3rd floor. We ate at sort of a hotpot restaurant (food cooks in front of you, not really hotpot) along with Pizza Hut, many different options on the 3rd floor. Also could see an IMAX movie if you had some time to kill. There is a Wal-Mart toward the back which came in handy when we needed a fruit knife to cut some apples. We definitely had some options when it came to dining in the immediate area and did not have to rely on the hotel restaurants.

Concierge
We were departing fairly early for Beijing, needed to leave the hotel at 6AM to catch our flight, so we booked the biggest taxi possible for the airport. The taxi was waiting for us when we came down with our luggage, the hotel arranged exactly what we asked for, and we were able to fit all of our luggage in the car.

Bottom line
Out of the four hotels we stayed at in China during our trip, the Westin Hefei Baohe came in a solid second place. The hotel is well maintained, it has a great location next to the shopping mall, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay there the next time we travel to Hefei!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kurt M
Westin H, Manager at The Westin Hefei Baohe, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Kurt M,

We much appreciate that you share lots of details towards each area of hotel,it is very helpful for us to review and enhance our service quality,some remarkable points we have already shared with relevant department for further investigation and improvement.In the meantime, hope you and your family enjoyed a wonderful journey here! For any inquiry or needs you can also contact with our GSM or SE associates in any time!

Southern California
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Hefei has more than tripled in size in the past 10 years. The Westin has a new hotel that is accommodating some of the business travel. We were there for a heritage and orphanage tour otherwise there's not much reason to be there for a family.

It gives the best of the Westin experience with the heavenly beds. The room was clean and plenty of toiletries. The internet connection in the room was good. We were high up in a SPG room, 20th floor, and had a great view of the small city.

There is a mall across the street. Recommended to go over for snacks and/or meals if staying longer than a day at the hotel. The prices for food in the snack shop were exorbitant. $9.00 for a cup of ice cream. Also if you need to buy gifts there are shops including a Walmart where items can easily be purchased. Our guide led us across the city in taxis to shops that were unwilling to bargin. The guide "wasn't familiar" with Walmart.

Pool was fine.

The new Westin is great comfort in this city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Westin H, General Manager at The Westin Hefei Baohe, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear karinbc,

Thank you for staying with us and spending the time to share your comments.We are more than happy to provide our valuable customers like you with our high quality and customized services, and to continually assist in your renewing experience.We much appreciate that you enjoy your stay here especially point out our signature heavenly bed®, hope you enjoyed a wonderful sleep then! Thanks again for sharing us so many valuble comments, for any inquiry or needs you can also contact with our GSM or SE associates in any time!

Let me also take the opportunity to thank you for your continuous loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cathy Deng
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I travel to Hefei for business regularly and the Westin is my favorite business hotel (in this city!).
It fulfills the "Westin promise" both on the content (room size, amenities, connectivity, restaurants etc) and on the "feel and touch" (furniture, lighting, fixtures etc).
Location is great: close to a nice park with Temple an just in front of what appears to be a good mall (i never managed to go there but i remember seeing a Gucci-original- boutique).
Trainees, often foreigner, make your life (if you are a foreigner) much easier and pleasant: an italian lady (francesca?) did for me!
A couple of features that are important to me:
1) A good fitness center. I prefer to exercise indoor and many international hotels provide only minuscule training rooms. A this westin I never had to queue.
2)executive lounge. Nice to have a glass of wine while reading a newspaper, before dinner, or enjoying a quiet breakfast before starting the day. The louge is spacious, luminous and service is friendly
Only minus...but is quite common in China...the checkout experience, mainly when you require fapiao, maybe quite painful

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Westin H, Manager at The Westin Hefei Baohe, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear barbara b,

Thank you for staying with us and spending the time to share your comments.We are more than happy to provide our valuable customers like you with our high quality and customized services, and to continually assist in your renewing experience.We much appreciate that you enjoy your stay here especially point out our fitness centre and executive lounge, thanks again for sharing us so many valuble comments, in oder to better understanding our guests' needs and preferences.

Carthy Deng
Athens, Greece
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had an overnight stay during a business trip and had a very standard Westin stay. That is to say, the service was helpful and friendly, the breakfast was good and what I come to expect at a Westin in China, and the room was clean and comfortable. I was also coming down with a cold on the trip, and I think the amount of rest I was able to get staying at a Westin helped me get better quickly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms Melissa V,

Many thanks for taking your time to write comments here.We are more than happy to provide our valuable customers like you with our high quality and customized services, and to continually assist in your renewing experience. we are pleased to hear your body has been fully recovered and renewed during your stay in our hotel and also hope you had a wonderful journey here.Thank you again for choosing The Westin Hefei Baohe and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Carthy Deng
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Rooms are fine - clean and well maintained. The location is excellent as its across the road from a huge shoping mall so food and shopping catered for! Close to the ring road systems so easy access to most other parts of the city and also out to the industrial areas. Food is a good buffet which wont dissapoint most nationalities. But bar is a dissapointment and not very pleasant place for a drink, so try elswhere if thats what you want! For business stays cant fault the place

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
limei j, Manager at The Westin Hefei Baohe, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Paul M,

Thank you for staying with us and spending the time to share your comments here.Thanks for your most postive comments on our location and food, in the mean time we apologize for the unpleasant experience you stayed in our bar, can you specify your comment and feel free to send to jessie.jiang@westin.com, we will post your feedback to relevant department,and indeed further investigate and monitor this aspect of the experience.

Thank you again for choosing The Westin Hefei Baohe and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Cathy Deng
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in Exec Club King Bed room. A great, very new, 5-star in a fantastic (for Hefei) location. The hotel is situated directly opposite Lord Bao's Park (about the only location of interest in Hefei for the non-business traveller) and immediately across the road from the Van's department store shopping mall (which includes a WalMart - not very sexy, sure, but when you're running short on socks in a strange city/country, a WalMart is worth its weight in gold!). Exiting the hotel and turning left takes you down WuHu Road, bustling with food anytime day or night.

'Seasonal Tastes' (in house buffet dining) was great.

A couple of minor things - as mentioned, the Westin is quite new (I think about two years at the time of this review) but it is important to keep up with the regular operational maintenance. The first thing I found when I arrived in my room was that my office chair was broken and I subsequently had to wait while this was replaced. Then, my first night, try as I might I could not switch off a particularly annoying night light in the entrance way in order to sleep. Eventually I had to call downstairs and a maintenance guy came to my room, opened the light casing, cut the wires and then packed them back in the housing. I woke the next morning without burning to death from a short circuit so I suppose that was OK! THEN I tried to switch on the TV on the morning I was checking out and the batteries in the remote were flat! (I don't watch a lot of TV when traveling so I hadn't noticed this before). Minor things but, cumulatively, annoying.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business