“Good place to enjoy lamb and crab”

Sotito’s Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 175 Restaurants in Punta Arenas
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I went to Sotito's bar on a Saturday evening. It was recommended by a colleague of mine. I read some negative reviews but nevertheless wanted to try my luck. I showed up earlier in the day to make a reservation to secure a place but not sure if it was necessary but on the plus side i got a table by the window to watch the Magellan while eating.

I made reservation for 8pm and when i arrived the place was empty i was the only customer. I asked to the waiter if there is a special thing going on in town but he told me the locals eat very late like 10-11 pm, which came true later.

The place is quite central and easy to find. The interior is clean and nothing wrong with anything. There are two floors. The ground floor is advertised as Italian. But the 1st floor, where i ate, is also advertised as Italian. Nevertheless that's not why i went there for. Patagonia is known for it's lamb and snow crab. So my suggestion is stick to what they do best. I ordered the crab with a little avalon (locos) on the side and lamb roast as main course.

Since i was the only customer until 9pm the starters came right away. My waiter was a very sweet guy very talkative with reasonable level of english. With my broken spanish and his english we got on fine.

The main dish took a little to come since the place was getting busier but it was OK. The wine selection was good and they have small bottles ideal for a single person. The lamb dish was quite big almost enough for 2 people or for a really hungry person. Both the starter and the lamb were delicious and well prepared. I did not have a desert since i ate quite a bit.

The only downside was getting the bill. It took abt 10 mins to actually get the bill and a further 20 mins to pay for it. There are only a few waiters serving abt 25 tables with abt 4 people each and some with 6 or 8 people. So they were constantly busy. I wasn't in a rush or anything so it didn't bother me but it might be wise to ask for your bill when you order desert.

I paid CLP 25,000 (abt USD 50 at the time) for a 2 course meal with half bottle of wine, which i think is fairly reasonable for this establishment.

There are newer reviews for Sotito’s Restaurant

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We had King Crab (a la cream), scallops (in Parmesan sauce), Abalone, Seafood soup, Avocado salad & Roasted lamb. The seafood is very good. The Avocado salad is special and tasty. However, the portion of their dishes is big so we cannot finish the lamb. The roasted lamb is done in an open fire and you can see how it is roasted & take pictures. Sit by the window & you will have a good view of the straight of Magellan while having dinner. The waiters speak little English but the service is good.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

disappinting joint.
everyone in town told us to go there.
we did.
we ordered asparagus ,canned...not fresh.
we asked for grilled salmon it came fried.if this is best in town...

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Very disapointed although good guides recommendations. The food was frozen (no fresh food) and no tast (specially centolla) . We have said this to the waiter and still invoiced us a tip that we did not want. It seems that for tourist we dont have the same service and food quality. Although the highly prices. I will not recommend tourist to go to this "tourist trap"! We can find better alternatives in town, for better prices!

1  Thank Shadowm69
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We randomly chose this place to eat dinner during our one night in Punta Arenas. The service was fantastic and the food was very good. My husband had an excellent seafood stuffed chicken. Also we ate with a view of the straight of Magellan! Highly recommend this place.