“Not bad but huge public works in the avenue a minus!”

Best Western Hotel Finis Terrae
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Punta Arenas
kuala lumpur
“Not bad but huge public works in the avenue a minus!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The first thing that you realize even before check in is that you have to drag your baggage about 100 meters thru a gravel path in the extensive public works in the main avenue in order to reach the hotel, which brings the whole value of the price/night into question, especially because it is the low season, and the works will go thru the high season until July 2014... It was a cold day and going thru this walk was not very pleasant to say the least...
Once arrived, though, the staff is very nice and helpful and of course, it is not their fault, but still, I think they should shave off some 10's$ out of the price, due to the inconvenience... Also, if you have a car, there is no parking available at the hotel and you will have to go thru the same walk...
- Rooms: The other annoyances , are, in order of discovery: small elevators (although there are 2), below average carpeting, patchy WiFi connections and speed, low shower pressure and slow to get water heat.
- Restaurant: nice view to the Magallanes straits... Breakfast was average, sometimes they missed basic elements of it, like scrambled eggs or yoghurts... Coffee was not really good, kind'o burned (OK, I am an aficionado of good coffee, I admit, so I am a bit biased on this one, but a good coffee in the morning is important to kick-start your day and put you in good mood :))...
- Again, Staff at reception and floors were really friendly and nice, and went the extra mile to help and were understanding.
- All in all, The hotel is not bad, average I would say due to old amenities and some unacceptable shortcuts, this is more a management problem I think. Employees were all really nice in their true magallanic hospitality. Road works are truly disruptive for access and noise, therefore, I feel the real value per night should be about 25% less than what it is right now...

Room Tip: Make sure you select a room that does not have direct view to the roadworks or low floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sagittarius111
HotelBWFinisterrae, Gerente at Best Western Hotel Finis Terrae, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Sr.
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. About the street we hope that can be finish as soon as posible (the proyect has to be done in january 2014).

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 5661209100.

Ricardo Movillo
Manager
BEST WESTERN Hotel Finis Terrae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I can cope with old and shabby but not unclean. The blankets on the bed were a sight and obviously very old, and when lifted revealed crumbs and what looked like sugar crystals plus hair!
We stayed 2 nights and I kept finding long dark hairs. The carpet is so stained I felt I could not walk around without shoes. I also got bitten all over my body whilst there, small itchy bites took days to go away. The only positives are it is in a good location, the bar serves quite good toasted sandwiches, the breakfast was adequate and they do have wifi in the rooms. The young doorman/porter was excellent.
As mentioned previously they are very strict on the 1400 arrival time, we arrived at 13.50 and were told our room would not be ready until 1400! Go figure, not a very good first impression.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelBWFinisterrae, Gerente at Best Western Hotel Finis Terrae, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Ricardo Movillo
Manager
BEST WESTERN Hotel Finis Terrae

Travelers are raving about these Punta Arenas hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here waiting to be picked up to go to Torres del Paine. We had a 3 person room with 3 twin beds, it small but adequate, good wahsroom shower, the location is good half block off the main street , HBO on the tv and a good breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Puerto Madryn, Argentina
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is a good place to stay, the place to have breakfast is very nice becasue it is on the top floor. I was on a single room that was nice but too small since I could hardly open my bag on it. The bathroom was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is in some serious need of updating, but most issues were cosmetic. The location is good, very near the central square. We were there only for one night so that we could take the ferry to the penguin colony, and it was one of the less expensive places we could find. I don't think it's as bad as other reviews here, just needs some updating. We found the room to be quite acceptable, it was very clean and comfortable. Just know going in this is NOT a luxury place. They have a VERY strict 14:00 check-in policy, which can be annoying for folks arriving on early morning flights. However, they were very happy to store our bags for us until we were able to get into the room. Additionally, Avenida Colon was undergoing some major construction while we were there, so cabs can't pull up directly to the hotel (but this is likely a temporary issue and may have even already been resolved).

Room Tip: We were in room 308, which overlooks Avenida Colon. A beautiful street except for the construction...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulnBekky
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I ended up in Punta Arenas by accident...literally. My partner broke his hip in Antarctica on the 4th day of our 30 day trip. We were air evacuated to Punta Arenas and he had his hip replaced. I moved to this hotel after 2 days at another property. The staff were so helpful. A big thank you and shout out to the head of housekeeping, Lorna, who bent over backwards to make it all work when he was discharged including putting two mattresses on top of each other so the bed would be

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReginaPhelps
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel needs to renovate their rooms. Perhaps some have been renovated however, we paid a lot of money to stay in the oldest room I think I've ever seen. The blankets were so old and stained that it was really scary. The carpet and walls were ancient and the room was stinky. I did not look forward to sleeping there and slept with just one sheet.

The restaurant had good food. The front desk service was really slow but I think it is mostly due to their ultra old computer system. We wished we'd chosen another hotel. When you're away you want to enjoy yourself, not cringe that you have to sleep there.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a renovated room - so that you're not stuck in the 60's with the same beddi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends