“Simple, nice and comfortable”
Review of La Estancia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Arenas
La Estancia
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

The hostel is simple, just a typical old, but comfortable and clean house in Punta Arenas. The accommodations are nice and I felt like being on my own house while stayed here. Alejandro, the host of the hostel, was very attentive and he cared about my conformability. His suggestions about what to do in the city, where to go and how to make nicer and easier the trip were completely useful for me. Although he was always busy working at the hostel, I could talk a lot with him about random stuff and I noticed he has a strong character, making him seem tough, but he's nice on his own way, giving me a good impression of him. His family is also nice, I even played table soccer with his son! For a lonely traveler like me who wants to know not only the touristic places of a city, but also its essence and its people, staying here was an invaluable and complete experience, fulfilling my expectations. If I return to Punta Arenas, I'd stay here again. Completely recommended if you're looking for a nice and simple place to stay

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Gabo E

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We really enjoyed our one night stay here in late January 2014. Alejandro does have an understated personality and quiet approach, but he couldn't have done more to help us sort out a bus journey to Ushuaia. Rooms are cozy and comfortable enough and the hostel is in a good central location. HIghly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hlglobetrotter
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Clean comfortable rooms and shared bathrooms. The owner is an aloof character. I noticed him being helpful to some guests and quite rude and unhelpful to others including me, which seems to match the differing reviews here, some saying he is helpful others saying he is rude. In contrast the lady who worked there was extremely friendly. The owner does not like you using the kitchen after 8:30pm which is difficult in a town where you may be arriving late by bus or plane, they also omit to tell you this on check-in. I was told that I should have read the instructions in my room and then I would have known. There is also not a proper stove top but a traditional burning stove which makes cooking something simple like pasta a long task. The breakfast was adequate - It was nice to have eggs but there was no juice. I only stayed here one night but it wasn’t a very social hostel, possibly more couples who stay here. My low rating is due to the owner’s attitude and limited kitchen hours rather than quality of the rooms which were quite good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. We have found it very clean & comfortable if a little outdated in the decor. Breakfasts are fab - toast & eggs with tea or coffee. Only downside has been the unfriendly/unhelpful staff. The hostel advertises help with arranging buses etc but on questioning no assistance was offered & we had to explore everything ourselves.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at La Estancia for 4 nights in December 2013 and we had a great experience. The accomodations are basic but clean and cozy. The place is within easy walking distance to the rest of the town. Alejandro has an understated personality that could be described as stand-offish, but we found him to be helpful and humorous. Perhaps the best thing about La Estancia is the great breakfast every morning with real coffee. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan W
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at La Estancia with my wife for two nights in December 2013 (we're both in our late 20s). The hotel is centrally located, and the rooms (we had a room with private bathroom) are simple (a bit old) but spacious. Everything looked reasonably clean. All together, it's nothing special but reasonable considering the price.

One of the reasons that we booked here were the raving reviews about the service by Alex. However, our experience with him was not that positive. When we arrived, we told him that we would be going on an early morning trip to the penguins at Isla Magdalena. He gave us directions and told us how late we should leave - all fine so far. As breakfast starts at 7AM, we would still be able to have breakfast before we left for the day.

The next morning however, we didn't find any breakfast. At 7, there was no one, at 7:15 still no one, and at 7:30, we had to leave for our day trip with an empty stomach. As there was no place to get food during our trip, we had to survive on two granola bars until we got back at 2PM.

When I expressed my discontent to Alex and asked him why there had not been any breakfast, he simply stated that he had been sleeping. No apology, nothing, just the statement that he had been sleeping - very weird...

The next day when we checked out, Alex offered to pay for our taxi to the airport to make up for the missed breakfast. I really appreciated this gesture, but would have liked to see it combined with an apology.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I was planning a large trek in a very short time frame and I had basically no idea how it was going to work when I arrived in punta arena. Alejandro was exceptionally helpful and accommodating despite the fact I stayed for only one night. My room was big, warm and comfortable. I had a great trek and went back for my last few hours to wait for the bus at the hostel. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo