“Vastly overpriced & it was not a luxury experience”
Review of Remota

Remota
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Natales
NJ
“Vastly overpriced & it was not a luxury experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights and overall were disappointed with our stay. The reason we picked this hotel was that we were hoping to relax in a really beautiful place and enjoy specialized tours. While hotel is really beautiful and offers amazing views it is a far cry from a luxury experience you would expect at over $800 per day in a country with excellent tourist infrastructure.

Pros:
a) pretty architecture and beautiful views of the lake.
b) the entire staff, with the exception of the manager Maria Jose, who was on the power trip and extremely rude to us until we threatened to speak with her manager, was great and very accomodating.
c) excellent reflecting pool in a separate building.
d) lead guide sits down with visitors in the evening to plan next day's excursion.

Cons:
a) be aware that 3 nights may mean 2 days of tours only based on the fact that hotel airport transit takes you to the hotel in the late afternoon and you would be missing the afternoon 1/2 day tour. on you last day you would have to clear out noon, which means at best a morning excursion, unless you bitterly fight for the afternoon excursion as well with the manager.
b) all the tour guides were college students working at Remota for the summer. Sure, they worked excusively for the hotel and were really nice, but they were not knowledgeable about the area and the park beyond what is in the tour guide. You can get this level of tour quality in the many different agencies in Puerto Natales. Incidentally, even though trips sounded individual based on the discussion with the lead guide at night, in the morning you ended up with at least 6-8 other tourists in the car. Our final 3 hour excursion, which was horse back riding near the hotel (costing $300 per person based on the manager) was the smallest - only 3 people.
c) there is no menu and you get an option soup or salad and 2 possible entrees for dinner. One of these is always king crab casserole, the other is either salmon or meat. It is good tasting food but you would not call it gourmet or even great by any means. WHY??? The food is really inexpensive in this country and it would not kill them to offer a real menu or let people have soup and salad for, again, $800+ per day.
d) on the subject of drinking and luxury, there is only one brand of wine available - Casiliero del Diablo, which is the cheapest brand in Chile (checked in the local hypermarket). It is nice wine but some options would be nice. A typical tourist staying in Remota would like some options.
e) there are no TVs in the rooms. Sure, it is done to make the visitors completely relax but it gives a feeling the management was not ready to shell out for a newer TV models which will be appropriate for the "luxury setting." The only visitor TV for the hotel is in the large room filled with tables and chairs on the second floor. So if you want to sit down comfortably to watch some news (no movie channels in that hotel) you would have to borrow some pillows from the next room and sit on the floor.
f) speaking of the architecture, the ceiling design is very simple - concrete blocks with wood panels about 10 inches below. The problem is there are lots of cobwebs in that in-between place. It is undestandably difficult to clean but I was left wondering when going to sleep whether I will be receiving any spider visitors at night.
g) the pool is great, the only problem is that it is in the separate building. It was pretty cold going there and back even in the middle of Chilean summer. Additionally, the desk staff does not know the opening times of the pool even though it is written on the hotel info packet. These may be the reasons why it is not used very much.
h) the hotel manager ultimately really ruined the experience. It is a nice touch to be greeted by her when you arrive. But she is fake and obsequious and she runs the hotel to offer the least possible service to the visitors. Here is another example: when we complained about the food she said "oh really, why didn't you tell me" - and the next time we were offered 3 entree options instead of 2. These were salmon, meat, and king crab casserole. They must have a seasonal pass.

While we were at the hotel the other tourists discussed a high number of cancellations the hotel had received recently. Some of them are sure due to the economy. But I am pretty sure that many are due to the poor experiences this place provides.

• Liked — Beautiful views and architecture
  • Disliked — quality of tours, food, rooms, and treatment by the manager
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ladelila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
e
Reviewed January 27, 2009

This is a very nice location and the hotel rooms are nice, but the bathrooms are very poorly laid out and dark. The excursions are nice, but not particular adventuresome. The front desk service was atrocious-- they were poorly prepared and not helpful. It would have been okay at a less expensive hotel, but not acceptable when it is $1000/night.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripipi
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed January 6, 2009

This hotel was unlike anything I've seen before. I think the architechture is interesting and clearly has meaning to those who work there. The rooms are spartan but comfortable. No TV, no radio, no clock but that's okay because you're too busy anyway. The one bad thing in this area was that the internet connection was down for a few days and if you needed to get on-line to check your flights, for example, you were in trouble. Fortunately I had a iPhone with the data plan for this trip.

The hotel is spotless. The beds are very comfortable. I liked the view. Loved the wine and I thought the food was good and plentiful.

Like the other reviewers before me, I loved our guides. Just be careful that they're all young outdoor types who think nothing of scaling the peaks of Torres del Paine so if they tell you a hike is "easy", it's not. But even though I struggled a few times, they were fantastic and never made me feel bad so overall it was a fantastic experience.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The guides.
  • Disliked — No internet connection.
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Andrea074
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Patagonia is worth the trip! Amazing activities and the most beautiful landscape. Remota's redeeming point: Guides/Excursions.
Service/Food/Management: NEEDS MAJOR IMPROVEMENT to be at caliber they claim to be at

The hotel charges 5 star prices, and does NOT deliver 5 star service. (except for during daily guided excursions, which saved the trip).
The restaurant is completely lacking, food is mediocre at best (for the money, they could do much better) Even simple dishes could work, but they repeat and lack in creativity and initiative. There is no organization, staff is highly UNtrained.

meetings w/ guides the night before next day tours are also disorganized and could be done much more simply. guides write on scraps of paper, only to often fail to imput into the computer, thus resulting in errors the next morning.

Organization and management in my opinion starts at the top. The manager, continuously attempted to make small talk, asked us several times when we were leaving and our room number (mind you: we were there on a 7 night "all-inclusive"). They also charge extra for rides to and from airport if not during they 2 scheduled pickups/dropoffs per day (210 US extra!) but we saw many odd times and questioned this "rule".

we were never given a tour of the hotel or even directions on how things worked, until we asked and figured it out ourselves. OK for a place where you can do what you wish, but here, we have to pre-book and organize the night before what we wish to do the following day. The website and brochure claims 27 excursions (20 of which are available in the summer). We saw much repetition and several, not offered during our stay.

The guides we met were exceptional for the most part in their knowledge of the area, fauna, geology and history. This was THE SAVING GRACE! we loved all our activities and the natural beauty is unrivaled. We did 8 hour hike to Torres del Paine base, horse riding at Sierra Dorotea, Rock climbed (not usually offered aparently, but I had always wanted to try and found another couple so between the 4 of us, we got to try), kayaked....Non stop and wonderful. The guides subcontracted (the hotel was full w/ large groups and their 6 or 7 guides couldnt handle all, so they hire independent contractors) were among the best we met there. Seemed at times that the small / individual groups or couples suffered from Hotel being full w/ large large groups of Americans.
Even some common areas, seemed "closed" to others, while the large group had special events. This should be explained in advance.

New Year's Eve, nothing was announced or done in advance. A 1 line note posted, stating dinner for NYE at 22:00. It was a buffet, which got completely wiped out so quickly that when some smaller tables approached, there was NO FOOD left, until they replaced it SLOWLY over time. Champagne toast was not very organized and people had to approach the bar, rather than getting this at their dinner tables. No decoration, no candles NOTHING was done.

I am not one to complain, and travel ALOT domestically and internationally. I feel it is imperative I mention all this as the cost of this hotel resembles / or even exceeds others we have visited in various locations, that gave much much more.

I suggest the staff spend 1 week at Blackberry Farm in TN, or Ikies in Santorini, or La-Bandita in Tuscany, to learn about customer service and hospitality.

One important suggestion: fruit or any snack around the hotel late afternoon would be wonderful. Most activites offered are 3+ hour hikes, with some as long as 8 hours. People need to have snacks/food. The best food was on the excursions, often packed in the backpack of the guide. Dinner food was over sauced, lacked seasoning and often was repetitive.

If they offered a "suggestions" form, that would maybe help improve things.

We heard there that for the 20-30% price difference, Explora offers MUCH MUCH more (including massages and other spa services in the "all-in" price)> Remota does not.

I would return to the area and redo any/all the activities, but hire my own guide and probably (from what I saw in town at the independent tour operators) spend 1/4 of what I spent at remota (and eat better).
we went into town 2 nights to avoid the food there and loved Indigo's small restaurant and a pizzeria in town called Mesita Grande. all homemade.

• Liked — Location/ scenery
  • Disliked — Service/Food/ price vs. value
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank fesoicher
Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I stayed at this fabulous hotel with two other friends. I found the design of the building and the inside of the hotel very modern and comfortable. This hotel contains exquisite and interesting sites that you can really enjoy them. I think this is a very unique hotel worthwhile staying. The hotel staff were very pleasant and very helpful. The food was exceptionally delicious accompanied with excellent Chilean wines. The tour we took to Torres del Paine was outstanding the well thought of. Felipe, our tour guide, was very knowledgeable of the park and spoke fluent English.
In general, we had a wonderful experience and highly recommend you stay in Remota.
Adriana Vohden, Wash. D.C.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank AdrianaVirginia
Villach, Austria
Reviewed September 26, 2008

I'm a little late in writing this review, but I stayed here for 4 nights in December 07. Like many people, I found Remota when the Explora was booked. I didn't have high expectations, but I was very happily surprised.

While the architecture is a little weird, the building and it's surrounding are unusual, beautiful, and certainly not like anything else, which is the point of travel for me. The views and sunsets were fantastic.

The dinners were good and I especially liked that they served local fish, hare, lamb, etc. and Chilean wine as well. We never went hungry during the activities either! On Xmas day we had a BBQ at a fiord with lamb roasted over a huge fire. I didn't even really like lamb much before this trip, but this was excellent and changed my mind.

Regarding the activities, the evening meetings with the guides to schedule the next day activites always seemed a little disorganized. However, we got to do our first choice every day and the experiences were incredible. We did two different hikes with amazing views of the Horns and the Towers, as well as a horseback ride. The guides were great and very interesting people to talk to. My only advice is to make sure that you are in good physical condition for the activities. The pace on one of the hikes was pretty fast and I was a little under the weather.

I wish we could have stayed a little longer. Most of the activities that we chose were "full day" which can be fairly long given the drive to and from the park. It would have been nice to have some extra down time, as well as more time to explore Puerto Natales.

Overall, the experience was excellent and I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Hikes and Actvities
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seat24A
New York, NY
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Remota a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel, and I would recommend it to anybody. In planning our trip to Chile, we wanted a place from which to explore Patagonia and the Torres del Paine national park. We didn't know whether we should stay in the park itself, or outside of the park at the Remota. I am so happy that we chose to stay at the Remota.

The hotel itself is stunning. The rooms were immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. There are so many small touches that make the hotel so great - - from the rainfall shower heads to the roaring fire in the lounge. It was a pleasure to be there. Every night we used the spa and sat outside in the jacuzzi - - a great way to relax after a full day of hiking. The food was great. We had big dinners with lots of wine every night and they even managed to make the lunches they packed for us during the day taste good.

The best part of this hotel (and there are a lot to choose from) is the guides and the excursions. Every night you have the chance to meet with the guides to plan out what kind of an excursion you'd like to do the next day. We went horseback riding, kayaking and hiking - all with experienced and knowledgeable guides that spoke good English.

The excursions were extremely well organized and planned. We were never with more than two or three other people and, for our last excursion we were the only two people. We felt very confidant with the skill level of the guides and we saw some amazing sights.

Before the trip we had worried about staying outside the park, not knowing if the trip into the park for excursions would be too long etc. This was not a problem at all. The days we went into the park were great and it didn't feel like we were commuting too long at all. Also, the park is huge, so even if you stay inside the park, you'd still have to travel in order to see different sides of the park. The added bonus with the Remota is that you can see other parts of the area that aren't in the park. One of our hikes was outside of the park and it was fantastic.

Staying at the Remota was one of the best choices we made on our trip. The staff was so friendly and they went out of their way to accommodate us. We have stayed at many quality hotels and the Remota definitely ranks as one of the best.

• Stayed April 2008