“The views of the Fjord is this hotel's best charm...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Weskar Patagonian Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Weskar Patagonian Lodge
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Puerto Natales
Montreal
“The views of the Fjord is this hotel's best charm...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for just a night before heading into Torres del Paine park for our W circuit trek. We decided to walk from the Puerto Natales bus station and it turned out to be a little longer than expected: about a 45 minute walk with our packs. While the location of the hotel is beautiful (on a little hill overlooking the spectacular Fjord), it is a little bit out of the way if you want to go into town for errands or dinner. It was ok for a night, but expect a 20-30 minute walk each away depending on where you are going in town. If you don't want to walk, you'll need to take a taxi. The rooms were clean and comfortable (the beds are covered with crisp white comforters), the bathrooms were modern and the decor is meant to give the place a rustic feel. Even though the room we booked was not meant to have a Fjord view, we were given a room with a beautiful big window that overlooked the Fjord anyway which I thought was a nice touch. The service was also very good (particularly the front desk staff) and the complimentary breakfast was decent. My only complaints about this place are that the walls are quite thin so you can hear doors opening and closing, cleaning staff, etc. However, this is not something that kept us up at night. The other complaint was that the Wi-Fi didn't work very well, signal was very low and intermittant from our room. For the price though, I was very satisfied.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a Fjord view, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Fond memories of spectacular views and a tranquil ambience brought me back to the Weskar Lodge. I’ve made several visits through the years, and this was my first since the expansion. A new building has been erected which more than doubled the lodge size. There are certainly growing pains – the lodge is not what it used to be.

I arrived at the lodge mid-afternoon. Check-in was brisk and formal, remarkable in that lacked personal warmth. I was assigned a room in the first floor of the new building. What immediately struck me about the room was the large window opening to a spectacular fjord view. You could tell that the architects designed the room around the view. Whether you’re brushing your teeth, stepping out of the shower, or lying in bed, the fjord is front and center. The layout was very well conceived.

In terms of the in-room experience, the white walls and wood trims evoke a rustic feel. There is a small desk, bed side tables, and an in-room phone. There is no television which was a welcome site. The bathroom area adds a contemporary vibe. I refer to the “bathroom area” since it’s not an enclosed room but rather separate spaces. There is narrow passageway with two doors on the right side. The first door slides open to the water closet. The second door, of the frosted glass variety, opens to a rain shower. The dark tiles offered a visual contrast to the white walls and made the shower seem more relaxing. It took a few minutes for the water reach my desired temperature but maintained the duration of the shower. The water pressure was adequate and consistent.

Unfortunately, the masterful design and stunning view were offset by two nights of suboptimal sleep. A trifecta converged:

1) The building acoustics are phenomenal. I would challenge you to find a concert hall that preserves and amplifies sound better than this building. Unfortunately, this is not a concert hall. The locking/unlocking doors, hallway conversation, water draining, were all too familiar. And my wife would not qualify me as a light sleeper. I’ve slept through many nights during which our toddler was quite active.

2) The room was warm. I prefer 70-72 degrees, and I’d proffer it was 77+ degrees. The windows can be manually opened, but I also did not want the bugs joining me. I couldn’t win either way.

3) The mattress was as durable as cutting board. I’ve seen metal offer greater flexibility.

In terms of amenities, wireless internet is included. The connection was intermittent. When a signal was detected, the strength was enough for basic internet functions. It was not enough to carry on Skype conversations longer than a few minutes. I didn’t particularly mind, since I wanted to be off the grid.

Breakfast is also included. I arrived toward the end, and there were still ample offerings – meats, cheese, cereal, yogurt, bread, and fruit. Eggs were also available, but they had cooled. I would assert that it’s a step up from your mainstay continental breakfast just based on the variety. The hotel restaurant serves a fine dinner. Whether you’d prefer lighter fare, a steak dinner, or just a dessert, I’ve been pleased with the selection, quality, and value. Plus, central Puerto Natales is a brisk 15-20 minute walk. When the wind is gusting, it can certainly be an awakening experience.

In summary, I struggled with this rating. I returned to the hotel based on previous stays which were simply outstanding. The hotel has changed since my last visit. There’s a new building, and there’s more than double the rooms. As a result, the hotel has lost some of its charm. The staff was not as amiable or as warm. This happens when the business and number of clients grow. But the greatest disappointment was two restless nights. It’s ironic that it’s such a tranquil setting yet the hotel design offers anything but tranquility. Next time, I’ll request a room in the main building, where it all started. Yes, there will be a next time. But it could very well be my last.

Pros:
• Well-conceived room layout – fjord view is front and center
• Complimentary breakfast with healthy offerings
• Hotel restaurant offers a fine dinner

Cons:
• Restless nights due to triad of issues – temperature, mattress, and noise
• Intermittent WI-FI
• Hotel staff lacked warmth

Room Tip: New building is like a concert hall - sound is preserved and amplified. I'd recommend the origi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scl44
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Overlooking the Fjords our room was pretty warm and cozy. It gets pretty windy and cold during December, so the room was very comfortable getting back to after an excursion out. Also since there is significant sunlight late into the night during summer, the curtains are nice and make the room pretty dark.
The hotel is about 20-25 min walk from the city. We walked once but with the strong wind we did not venture walking outside again. You can also take a taxi to get to the city, they are pretty convenient and fast.
The breakfast service was nice, wifi was not working during our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Weskar for 5 nights during our honeymoon in Chile, Nov/Dec 2013. We splashed out on a room in the Deluxe Lodge with a view over the fiord. The room was very comfortable, always warm (which is great as it is very cold outside!) and kept very clean. The view from the window was simply jaw-dropping and it was a real treat to wake up each morning to a view of the water and stunning mountains surrounding it. The location was good too, just a 20 min walk into town (though watch those winds and wrap up!).

Sara - I think she's the manager - was lovely, helpful and very welcoming, and the chap on at early morning was equally affable. Unfortunately the same could not be said for other staff members. On arrival at the Lodge we were greeted by a young lady who just seemed a little put-out by everything. Even a bit grumpy perhaps. Having travelled a long way, we just wanted to check into our room and start relaxing, but instead she seemed utterly insistent on booking us onto one of their excursions (with little information on their finer details). Given that we'd just got there, the hard-sell was not appreciated. After all, we had payed a lot of money (in advance) for this hotel (more than any other we stayed at in Chile), and it's not too much to expect a friendly welcome, especially on your honeymoon! Later in the day we went to book our Torres del Paine hikes/trips etc with a local agent in town (Condor, very good!) as we were put off by the Weskar staff's tact here.

We went to eat at the restaurant one night for a romantic honeymoon meal. Service was pretty hopeless, slow and unhelpful, the worst (and opposite) of any restaurant we had eaten at in Chile. Also disappointing was that the set meals advertised on their website - to include the King Crab, Magallenic Lamb etc for a good price - did not exist unless you happened to be booking for a large group. In fact there was no King Crab and the waiter hadn't a clue what we were asking about with regards the online menu. Sara assured us this would be changed on the website following our complaint. To date, this has yet to happen. We would suggest trying the excellent restaurants on the main square in town instead, especially as a taxi ride back at the end of the night is so cheap.

Breakfasts at the Weskar were fairly good, with a nice selection, although for a hotel of this price they really should be able to get fresh coffee in (they manage in the smaller hostels and cafes in town after all).

We did not use the hot tubs as they were unjustifiably expensive, but then the cold weather didn't really make them appeal anyhow.

These gripes aside, the Weskar is still a great place to stay and the room was superb. A nice touch was bottles of mineral water and fresh fruit each day. On our first night, Sara organised for a small bottle of bubbly and nibbles for us too: a nice touch! Just a few tweaks needed to make it a perfect stay and absolutely worth the high price you pay for.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Lodge may be a little more, but if you stay here you may as well pay a bit extra for the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The people at this hotel were very friendly and helpful. I found out I needed an immigration card for my upcoming trip to Argentina, so they let me use their computer and printer to take care of that. The breakfast was nice with a little more selection than other places I stayed. The best thing is the views from the room, absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I didn't like was the layout of the room. The bathroom in the room is up a few stairs, so in the middle of the night you need to watch your step. The room was also rather small, given the price. But overall, it is a nice place, a little outside of town, but I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Spurge to get the good views. That is what this hotel is all about.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had three nights at the Weskar Lodge, staying in a deluxe room in the new lodge building. I had booked and paid for the room about 11 months in advance and I would like to commend Sara in reception for her helpfulness - it is not easy paying for a room sight unseen. Sara replied to my emails in English and answered all my queries. So thank you Sara for your cheerfulness too during our stay. The room we had was very large and comfortable, but I would agree with other posters on TA that the architect hadn't quite got it right i.e. tiny dark shower, dodgy taps that threatened to come off the wall, and only one waste paper bin and that was in the toilet (normal procedure in Chile to put your used toilet paper into the bin, not the toilet). So the finishing touches to the Lodge were lacking finesse, but the bed was beautifully comfy, it had the most amazing views over the Lake and the room was clean and well furnished (well, the desk chair was very short for the desk!). The staff were as previously said by another reviewer not very professional, they took ages to clear the tables, or take orders etc. and this lets down the Lodge overall. But the dinner that we had there (salmon ceviche followed by guanaco ragout) was the best dinner/meal we had had in 12 days of travel. I do doubt that the menu changes because it looked permanent but it was delicious. The breakfast, however, was average for Chile, but no granola (only dry porridge oats), fruit salad, yoghurts, cakes, breads, scrambled or fried eggs. The lounge area was lovely and cosy, with plenty of seating and there was another smaller lounge in the new building, but we didn't use it because the WIFI wasn't connected yet to that building. WIFI was free but it seems that the internet connection is variable as sometimes it worked and then it didn't! If I came to Puerto Natales again, I would definitely stay here because of its location (15 minutes easy stroll into town) and the view. But the staff need better training in service and a more professional approach to guests in the dining area.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the view, it's worth it
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

About a kilometre out of town means a taxi ride with luggage but well worth it. Immaculate rooms, many with sea and mountain views. Restaurant with big views through the many windows although the menu didn't seem to change between me returning 10 days later for a second visit! Great varied breakfast too. Lovely lounge with a log fire which is welcome if its blowing a hooley outside!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo