“#2 B&B in Puerto Natales?”
Review of Hostal Dos Lagunas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Natales
Hostal Dos Lagunas
Ranked #2 of 48 Puerto Natales B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“#2 B&B in Puerto Natales?”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Usually TripAdvisor reviews do not steer me in the wrong direction. We booked a night at this hostel last minute as we didn´t have many options to choose from. We booked through booking.com for $52 a night. When we got there we were told we had to pay an additional $10 because we used this website. This place is definitely not worth the $50 so we would have never stayed here for more.
The rooms are tiny and are in a very old house with wood creaking floors. We were beneath the children´s bedroom so we heard them loud and clear. After some major 3 day hiking in Torres Del Paine, we wanted a comfortable place to rest. This was not the place.
There is a shared bathroom for a few rooms. A hospital bathroom looks more enviting than this one.This was less than basic. Our room was filled with gnats and mosquitos as we had the first room by the house entrance. We slept with long sleeves and pants, and sprayed bug repellant before going to bed.
I have never given such a bad review but I have standards and they were nowhere close to being met. It´s safe to say I wouldn´t stay here again. In fact, the next morning we left in search of another place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jbensimon
doslagunas, Owner at Hostal Dos Lagunas, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Good morning

My name is Alejandro , the owner and operator of Hostal Dos Lagunas…..from 13 years ago ¡¡¡
Because the very bad review and your bad experience with us , of course I have something to say…
First…..we are on the second place for a long time , because the service , personal attention , the coffee ¡¡¡¡ , information , help to organize the excursions of our guest , the trekking tips , etc , etc…..and I do that with pleasure and because I think is the best way to work on tourism , and because if is one time I´ll visit a different country I´ll expect the same…..the best attention is possible.
The property is old , I´m completely agree with that , have nearly 90 years old , but is very good conditions , except for the floor´s of the second level , walls are not the best and the bathrooms are basic I know , but the are clean and have very good shower with hot water all the time.
If do you take a look in another comments of trip advisor , Lonely planet , foot print , google , Facebook page , etc , etc , you can have the informations about the hostel is basic , small , shared bathrooms , etc , etc….
Usually at 10 PM my children's going to sleep ……because the house is wall construction you can be hear if we walk upstairs , we know , and is very complicate it for us as well , trying to move and don´t disturb anybody downstairs ……
During the time do you staying I´m not in home , I been in Punta Arenas city , I return yesterday night……probably if do you explain to me the problem with the mosquitos or noise or wherever , definitely I´ll recommend to you to take a different place or give to you the money back , etc……..but was not the situation because I´m not in town….and now I have nothing to do except to say sorry……
This is a familiar business and every time will try to do the best and give our best attention and service , for that reason 74 people say our place is excellent , 14 very good and very few say is bad , like you………anyway ….I accept you are critics because I think the same of you…..will try to do something , change the floor of the of the house is a priority , but very expensive , we don´t have the money to do it right now , but will try at the end of this touristic season….

About the charge of Booking.com , is true , when the people reserve a room by them we charge the chilean 19 % tax and that is explain to you very clear on the web site form , before to make a reservation , please take a look , same is the payment with chilean pesos only , we also pay to booking.com a considerable commission of money….¡¡¡¡

Also is good to know about Dos Lagunas have the same price on the last 5 years.
The room cost , is not too much , considering a nice room , good breakfast with real coffee , cereals ,brown bread , yoghurt , fresh fruits , butter , jam , milk , etc………wi-fi , storage room , kitchen facilities , lot´s of English trekking information ( when I´m in home ) …..etc , etc.

Well , what can I say……..just my apologies again for the inconvenient and uncomfortable time, for sure will try to renovate it and repair the floors of the house and bathrooms as soon is possible, step by step , just for the next time pay attention in all the details before to book a place to stay and for sure look for a better and comfortable place .
Good luck and I wish all the best to yours ¡¡¡

Alejandro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Czech first
Munich
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at hostel dos lagunas 2 nights before going to torres del paine. I clearly would recommend it!Alejandro is extremely helpful and gave us very useful tips. The breakfast provided is the best I had so far.

• Stayed November 2013
13 Thank AlexGero13
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed the night at Alejandro's before heading to Torres del Paine the next day.
The stay was exactly what we were looking for:
- very welcoming hosts
- warm and comfortable beds
- hot water
- excellent location
- one of the best breakfast we've had in South America (ranging from fruits to coffee constantly being topped up).
- very very helpful hosts. Alejandro and his wife provided us with priceless advice/help regarding our tour in Torres del Paine as well as our trip down to Ushuaia! We were even able to leave some of our stuff at the hostel so that are bags would be lighter for the trekking in TdP.

We really want to thank Alejandro and his wife for their help and will make sure to stop by if ever we're back on the region sometime.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank Gregory E
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Alejandro is wonderfully helpful. We weren't the usual travellers wanting tour information but Alejandro still knew how to get the answers. He came with us to customs and other officials while we sorted out import and visa problems, helping us with finding the right people and translating Spanish officialdom. Alejandro is well connected in town and can recommend places to visit, shops to find, etc.

Outside the weather is cold, wet and windy out of season, but inside the hostel was warm and clean with comfy beds, towels provided and generous breakfasts included in the friendly service. There are four rooms downstairs - two twins, one four bed dorm and a family room. Two shared bathrooms.

The hostel is a short walk from both the town centre (10 minutes to the main supermarket) and the beach (3-4 minutes).

The hostel's kitchen facilities gives the option of cooking your own meals although there are plenty of cafes and restaurants in town, even out of season. There are plenty of tourist shops and tour services in town, although out of season many of these tend to be closed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank GoingOverland
Jarrow
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at Alejandro's through a recommendation from some other travellers. They told us it was the best hostel they'd stayed at on their travels, and we have to agree.

Alejandro and his family are very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable about the area and Torres del Paine national park.

The rooms were toasty warm, the showers hot, the beds comfortable and the breakfasts amazing, including great coffee that was constantly topped up!

My husband and I changed our plans a number of times during our five day stay and Alejandro was always happy to help us out and give us advice. All the time looking out for our best interests, making sure we were getting the best price for things.

We didn't get to go to Torres del Paine this time because the weather wasn't great, but when we go back to Puerto Natales in the future we will be sure to stay at Hostal Dos Lagunas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Rachel L
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We turned up at Dos Lagunas after an accident in our car in Torres del Paine National Park. Alejandro went out of his way to help us find help in recovering our car and arranging mechanical repairs. Very welcoming and homely atmosphere with piping hot showers and amazing breakfasts included. Fluent English spoken as well, which certainly helped us in our hour of need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank GoingOverland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A friend of mine, who had just visited Chile, recommended me to stay with Alejandro in Dos Lagunas. He said it was the best place he and his family had stayed on their entire journey through Chile. I absolutely agree! Alejandro made me feel at home right away with a cosy homely atmosphere. He spent more than an hour helping me planning my hike in Torres Del Paine and he gave great advice to Puerto Natales. His kindness, jokes and personality definitely made Dos Lagunas one of my best accommodations during my 2 months stay in Chile. Anyone going to Puerto Natales should absolutely reward themselves with a stay at Dos Lagunas.

PS: I was there March 2012, just wasn't an option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo