“Top-Notch Hostel”

Yaganhouse
Madison, Wisconsin
“Top-Notch Hostel”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed here way more than should have been allowed. Due to bad planning and a delayed Navimag ferry I stayed here about 6 nights. For me it was too cold to do any trekking in Torres del Paine so I just took advantage of some downtime as I have been moving around a lot for the past month. I had a recent bad luck streak of snorers in Hostel dorms so I took advantage of them actually having a single private room available with shared bath [for not that much more than a dorm] and booked that. It was super spacious and comfortable and I also stayed in the dorms for one night and they were very comfortable and had plenty of space so getting in and out of the lower bunk wasn't as dangerous as some of the other places I stayed at. Although, like most hostels some of the bathrooms could use some fixing up, they had plenty of hooks for hanging clothes while showering and had plenty of bathrooms so you were never waiting to use one. Their service is incredible and in my month of travelling so far they provided by far the best and most filling breakfast I have had in a hostel consisting of cereal, yogurt, bread, coffee, tea, and made on demand scrambled eggs! On top of all that they even wash your breakfast dished for you. The common areas are spacious and gorgeously designed and they have the most awesome hostel dog I have met yet, Mimi. They even helped me out when they were booked and I needed to stay another night in town due to a ferry delay. They made sure to book me at a nice, neighboring hostel. So whether you are trekking the W or staying to wait for the ferry or just taking it easy, do yourself a favor and stay at the Yaganhouse Ecohostel and say hi to Mimi for me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank RoadViajando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Changwon, South Korea
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here just the one night. Would have stayed longer if they had the space. The common areas are great. Large places to lounge around in and meet other travellers. The breakfast was very good, even had eggs! The bathrooms were large. I just think it was a bit pricey, but maybe in off season it will go down.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We've inadvertently had to stay in 3 hostels whilst in Puerto Natales and this has been the best of them. The common areas are lovely and in the evening a fire is lit in the wood burning stove in the "conservatory" area. I've loved my stay here and would definitely recommend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Very friendly and clean and our bathroom (in the downstairs double room) was absolutely massive. The lounge area is also really attractive and cosy - we were only there one night so didn't use it much but it had a really nice feel. We're not into party hostels any more, but this one had an older crowd (perhaps that's because Patagonia is so expensive!) with the vibe being quite friendly and relaxed. As other people have pointed out, the noise is a bit of an issue - as it's an eco hostel and all made out of wood, there is not a lot of sound proofing so you can hear people upstairs and clomping down the stairs etc. We went to bed late and had an early bus so the hostel was pretty quiet when we were trying to sleep but probably not a good place if you want a sleep-in or are a light sleeper (bring earplugs). It's not super super central but it's a small town so only 5-10 mins walk from everything anyway, and it's on the bus station side of town (8 blocks away / 10 mins walk).

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This hostel was so so friendly! The staff were able to advise us really well on questions about the w trek (camping/route/food etc) as well as where to eat! They were flexible with our booking & sorted buses for us very easily! Would very much recommend! Only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars is because of the building....the window of our room wouldn't shut properly & showers were good but could have been finished to a better standard.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Fiona T
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was one of my favorite hostels of all time (which is a lot given that I am traveling to all seven continents!). The facilities are very clean, spacious and have a nice communal area to meet people. The crowd it attracts is a very social, yet respectable crowd. And most of all, the employees bend over backwards to help you with everything from booking activities and bus tickets to lending you a hairdryer so you can dry your socks.

Room Tip: single rooms are extra spacious.