“Ok hostel with rude staff”

Backpackers Kawashkar
Backpackers Kawashkar
Helsinki, Finland
“Ok hostel with rude staff”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We arrived at the hostal before doing the torres del paine trek to rent some equipment. We got what we needed but the guys did not try to hurry up at all when we clearly said that we had a bus to catch. We also arranged for them to reserve bus tickets for us for el calafate five days later. As soon as we walked out of the door, the sleeping bag cover broke.

After the trek we were exhausted and when we arrived at the hostel, the last thing we wanted to hear was critizims by the guy at the reception. He immediately started commenting on us drinking coke and smelling of food. Also, we were accused of breaking the cooking stove, which was in the same conditiona as received. Furthermore, the bus tickets that they were supposed to reserve, weren't reserved. They had left it to the last minute so there were no seats left. We ended up taking random buses through Rio Turbio and delaying our trip significantly. Even calling a taxi was difficult for these guys, so we just got one off the street. Accomodations were ok and breakfast was decent, but stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

The facilities are okay. Rooms are clean as are the bathrooms. The guy who works at the reception is just plain rude when asked simple questions. When he found out that we've sorted out our bus tickets etc and brought our own gear for trekking and it was clear he wasn't going to make any more money from us, he became even ruder. I'd highly recommend staying somewhere else if possible.

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights and was amazed at how far these guys went to help me! They are such good guys with the best intentions. The breakfast was also superb. Nutella, eggs and peaches were even included. The rooms are spacious and the kitchen is fully equipped. They have everything you need here. Yes there are a lot of rules and some of them are a bit strict but it's also what makes this place so clean. Respect the laws and you will be treated really well!

• Stayed January 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

So I arrive and all is hunky dory. Guy gave me good info and showed me around. I was unfortunate to have booked the male dorm which was opposite the kitchen and next to the lounge. Initially the smoke alarm was needing new batteries and no-one was doing anything about it so I told them about the constant beeping which they fixed. The tv was on extremely loud in the adjacent room until midnight with no-one watching it so I turned it off. The kitchen light shines right through the glass door into the male dorm - easily fixed by putting a poster or something up to cover the glass. The worst was having to get up at 1am to let someone in because no-one answered the doorbell. I expressed my displeasure in the morning which he ignored and just said about the rules - rules which were not indicated on my arrival - and kicked me out. Apparently it´s quiet time from midnight. Really strange given most people come to Puerto Natales to get up early to trek and would like a good nights sleep. And he´s been told about these problems before as he complains ´what is it about you guys complaining about the room?´. FIX THE PROBLEM AND THE COMPLAINTS GO AWAY!! Loco I tell you. I´m now in a reaaly nice hostel called Yagan House.

If you do stay here then get an upstairs room in the mixed dorm, don´t forget your earplugs and eye-mask otherwise. Other than that the place is clean and comfortable it´s just this guy who looks permantently stones or sleep deprived that is mad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lee D
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It was a great hostel. I had a bed in a 6 bed girls dorm, which I shared with one other girl. Omar was very welcoming and and informative. He helped me with booking tours and bus tickets. He even recommended that I join a group of guys staying there, who were independently trekking, but I was too lazy to do a 9 hrs hike. So I ended up booking a full day tour with Omar to Torres del Paine but I didn't like this tour, but that has nothing to with my stay at Kawashkar.

Hot showers. Yummy, full breakfast: Cereal, yogurt, toast with butter and jam, cheese, coffee, tea, fruit, milk and Omar cooked eggs for everyone in the morning. The place is super clean. And the rules were there to make it super clean and comfortable for everyone. I appreciated that a lot!! Free wifi that worked in my room!! Close enough to a few small market and short walk to a big Unimark. Omar was awesome. I was really sad to go after my short stay. I would come back just to hang out with him :)

Highly recommended and will come back for sure if I make it back to Puerto Natales.

p.s. Ladies, Omar is a handsome and funny single guy, get him while he's still on the market ;)

Room Tip: I got in the 6 bed dorm, I think there might be an 8 bed dorm too. I had wifi in my room and that w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for a night before going on the W trail and again for a night after I came back. Omar was great. I was able to rent everything I needed for the trek from him, and also left most of the stuff in my backpack in the lockers for the few days that I was gone. The floors are a bit creaky, the stairs a bit steep (I scraped my leg about 3 times!), and the cooking facilities a bit strange, but overall a great place to stay, and Omar will do your washing when you get back from the trek.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Kaweskar for 2 nights prior to embarking on the 8 day Paine circuit and for 2 nights after

Omar has trekked the full circuit 27 times and because of that he absolutely knows what is important for both before and after the trek

Highlights (so many it is easier to write bullets!):

Before the trek:
- fabulous abundant breakfast - Omar makes everyone egg omelettes individually, there is toast with Nutella, dulce de leche, jam, butter etc, cereal, yoghurt, peaches, coffee, tea and orange - just the fuel you need
- Omar gets good prices on bus tickets and organises this for you (not just to the park but to other destinations, as well as the Navimag)
- you can rent equipment - I initially rented a sleeping bag from the main place in town (no names) although it was old and smelly so I took it back and took one of Omar's instead - he washes them after every use and they are relatively new and very warm - very important!
- you can hire a locker to store your stuff when you are away
- scales to weigh your pack before you set out

After the trek:
- chocolates in reception to boost energy when you arrive exhausted!
- hot hot showers with good pressure
- Feather down duvets - just what you need after several nights in a cold tent!
- fast and efficient laundry service
- reliable Internet!

Other bonuses:
- TV with films
- nice social atmosphere

Omar is a fabulous host - he clearly enjoys what he does and goes out of his way to do a good job. He is sometimes run off his feet trying to cater for everyone but always delivers and never forgets a request

Highly recommended!