“Bad experience”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Iquique
Santiago, Chile
“Bad experience”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hotel accomodation are ok, the personal is too far of standard to attend IHG Rewards members.
I don´t recommend to other live bad experience here.
I loose the point by this stay because in front desk forget to certify my membership.

Room Tip: A/C unit too noise
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Matias S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.
We regret that the front desk staff have not delivered the service and information you expected regarding your IHG reward points.
I'm sending you a private message, so we can contact to have more information of your stay and be able to credit the points of your last stay shortly.

Best regards

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
vienna, austria
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is a really nice Holiday Inn Express. Rooms are big, comfortable and clean and had a spotlessly clean bathroom with a good shower . Beds were extremely comfortable. We stayed there twice in November (three nights and one night) and were very satisfied. The first time we got upgraded to a seaview room, which was especially nice as you could see the enormous waves on the beach in front of the hotel.

The beach in front of the hotel is not suitable for swimming but good for nice strolls along the waves. The swimming beach is approx. 5 minutes away on the other side of the casino. The historic city center and harbor area of Iquique (not too exciting, but nice for a stroll) is a rather long walk away along the promenade. Probably best to take the car or a cab. Nevertheless, I found the hotel to be well located on the beach with a selection of restaurants on the peninsula within easy and safe walking distance.

Staff was very friendly throughout the hotel , check-in and check out fast and efficient and breakfast good and varied offering a better selection than a Holiday Express in the US or Europe (UK/Germany) would. And, coffee was good, which was especially nice after some disastrous breakfast coffees we got in the in the North of Chile. WIFI was included in rate and reliable.

So, well done Holiday Inn Express. We were glad we had again a reservation at the hotel as a stopover on our way back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Matias S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments and that you share them on tripadvisor. We are very pleased that your stay have been of your total satisfaction, and have the opportunity to have you again with us soon. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more enjoyable please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express is a very new hotel and is what you would expect of a Holiday Inn. The rooms were well equipped and comfortable. We had a lovely view out over the sea. The only problem we had was that the safe didn't work and the promised replacement didn't materialise.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Matias S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your time to write your experince in our hotel. Our goal is to provide the best service and confortable rooms.
We apologize for the inconvenience you had with your safe, and we regret that was not resolved in a timely manner.
Hope to see you on your next visit to Iquique and we remain at your disposal.

Kind Regards

Manager
Comptche, California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I spent two nights at this hotel on a business trip. The first room I was given was a
disaster. The hotel was in the latter stages of a remodel and there were many rough edges
as a result. To be clear though, the wifi was free and worked well. When I went to call
the desk to report the problems, I found my phone wasn't working! I had to roam the
corridors searching for help. There was no hot water at first, but an unfortunate member
of staff I had cornered was able to turn it on. However, the door still didn't work. The
handle had been replaced and not adequately secured, so it went around and around without
opening or closing anything. I had to leave it propped open when I went on help hunting
excursions. My Spanish wasn't up to explaining why I was running around frantically
accosting hotel staff instead of just calling reception. After a frustrating hour or so
trying to get past my poor welcome, the front desk told me what I knew all along: I had to
change rooms. Duh! The replacement I was given was fine, surprisingly. I was on the front
of the building with a nice view of the beach. It turned out that this was also lucky
because there's a small market of some kind behind the hotel, which was noise central
during my stay. This was close to the Chilean National Day, and parties were going on
everywhere late into the night. But this small market seemed to have the loudest events
around. Consider this if you're staying at a holiday time. My second room was fine, but as
usual I would like to comment on its energy efficiency. There was no card controlled
electricity switch. The lamps were standard compact fluorescents, and the windows were
mediocre. But, the pool does have solar thermal heating. Not bad, but given the remodel
underway, they could perhaps have aimed a little lower in the carbon footprint department.
Since this in the middle of the incredibly dry Atacama desert, just about the driest place
on earth, it's not surprising that water conservation measures were excellent. The
breakfasts were reasonable. Scrambled eggs and cocktail sausages were the only hard core
options, but there was fruit, yoghurt, etc. My biggest problem came at the end of my stay.
Because I was leaving late in the evening for a very arduous trip home, I requested a late
evening departure. The desk clerk enthusiastically agreed, and I thought at first there
would be no extra charge. Well, at least he hadn't mentioned one, which I thought was
generous in the extreme. And sure enough, I was delusional. When I went to check out, I
was billed for three nights at the full rate, US$160/night. I complained. No one had said
there's any charge, let along a full nightly rate. Slowly notch by notch, I was able to
wear the clerk down to a 50% charge, which is what I might have expected. The experience
left a very nasty taste though, as I was swept by taxi to the Iquique airport. This was an
OK hotel and I believe reasonably priced for Chile near September 18, but there were some
strong negatives. I would be wary of taking a room near the market, check out your room
carefully as soon as you get in, and definitely be clear on the rate when you check-in.

Room Tip: Avoid the rear of the building, which is the party side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Matias S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments and the time that you take to write them, they help us to improve every day. We apologize for all the inconvenience you had during your stay product of the process of remodeling. Finally all the areas are finished and we have a brand new hotel, that will allow us to provide to all our guests first class facilities, the most modern and comfortable in the city.
Once again we would like to offer our apologies for any inconvenience that occurred during your stay, and we remain at your disposal for any requirement or need in the future.

Best Regards

santiago, chile
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Holiday Inn Express in Iquique is what you need and expect for a short business trip: comfortable and clean room, nice breakfast, quietness. The beach (Playa Brava) is just in front of the hotel but not too near to the pubs or restaurants to be noisy, like others hotels in the area. The staff is friendly and the WiFi works. Given that iquiquenos are cheerful people and do not like to go to bed early, if you want a good night sleep, it is a good choice in the city.

Some tips: these days the hotel in under renovation, but if you ask for a room in the third floor and far from the lobby, no problem. I did so. And the way to the airport could be a problem: a new freeway is under construction, so if you have a flight during office hours, ask for a taxi in advance, because they just stop the traffic and you could miss your flight. Rooms with a seaview are more expensive, but do you really need one the the beach is right there, crossing the road?

Room Tip: rooms with a garden view are quieter and ok.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Matias S, Gerente at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest, we appreciate your comments, thank you very much, They help us Improve every day, and motivate us to keep making things better and better!!

Kind Regards

London,UK
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our room was reasonably large & well-equipped, but bland (still, you don't normally choose a hotel room for the aesthetic experience). The bed was comfortable, and the view (an 'ocean view' room) wonderful. Breakfast was OK - one of the few hotels we stayed in which had at least some hot options, and the coffee was marginally better than the nescafe instant which seems to be de rigeur throughout Chile. Downtown is a shortish drive or taxi ride away, but there is at least one decent restaurant within walking distance (Club Nautico).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malvern09
holidayinnaeropuerto, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments; they will help us improve our services. I hope we can have you back with us soon.
Best regards!

Holiday Inn Chile & Buenos Aires
Graz, Österreich
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms are nice and middle clean (under the beds they don't clean).
The stuff isn't very helpful or freindly, for check-in they needed a half an hour (with small kids this is really long, and we were alone at the reception). We've forgotten on one day our swinsuits at the pool and at the next day we din't find it, so I asked at the reception, and the woman just looked in the lost and found book and told me nothing is inside. She din't walked or called the cleaning stuff. I walked around alone and asked the cleaning stuff 2 minutes later I got our swimsuits... So the woman at the reception just din't wanted to help us.
Free very fast wifi.
Breakfast good, coninental breakfast (Eggs, sausages, jam, queso, sweet cakes....), the TV during breakfast disturbing.
You can heat your meal on the day at the microwave at the breakfast room.
The price is a little bit high for that class of hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with window to the pool are quiet (the sea side is the street side)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EvaAustria4
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Iquique, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear EvaAustria4,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied, as such, I am sorry if the level of service provided by our staff negatively affected your stay with us. We always try our best to fulfill our guest needs and we regret that we did not exceed your expectations.

Your feedback will be reviewed and will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Dhan M