“Got ripped off here”

Backpacker's Hostel Iquique
Urbana, Illinois
“Got ripped off here”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had trouble with my checkout because it was fairly early in the morning. I was sent with a taxi driver and told to pay him for the ride and the room, but he gave me a price at the end that was clearly too high - nearly double what we could calculate based on the price of the taxi ride and the rates for the room.

The rooms themselves are OK, but the bathroom stalls combine a toilet and shower so you are showering next to the toilet, which is a little awkward. It also doesn´t promote clean bathrooms to have water all over the toilet and floor.

The location is great, but I can´t recommend staying here. My experience is that hostel staff usually treat their guests well, but it wasn´t the case for me here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you want to surf iquique is one of the best cities in chile to do it. With several diferent waves very close each other. The hostel is located right next 3 of them and just cross the street and you are in the sand. The hostel has a therd floor where you can see all over the city and the 3 surf spots... Wich is beautiful. The staff is great i hope lalo is still working on it. Thanks guys!!!! Dynko ,jose and lalooo u did my free days unforgetable!

• Stayed October 2011
Sao Paulo
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had a private room with shared bathroom for one night in this hostel. It is one of the 3 hostels we stayed in Iquique and it is probably the best, but it did got noisy at night with people hanging out/partying downstairs.

The breakfast is ok: bread, jam, tea or coffee. We complemented it with fruit, our own bread, cheese.

The bed was good. The room was spacious - a rarity in hostels - and cutely decorated - even rarer!

The common kitchen is nice, spacious, but they could separate the garbage, recicle, like so many other hostels are doing, but they do not. Shame.

The shower when I used it, wasn't hot at all. They are all about: don't waste any water, we are in the desert, which I am all up for, but really: 3 minutes shower like they request? And the REAL waste of water came from the people who used the bathroom after partying: on one go to the bathroom at night, someone had left the shower partly on, leaking a lot of water, so I closed it. On another go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, someone had left the water in the sink running, again I closed it. Also, there are not comfortable places to hang your stuff before showering.

And I find it ridiculous that you can only get into the hostel at 2pm but have to leave at 11am the latest.

The wi-fi only works in the common area - and it is not quiet down there. Our entel broadband modem didn't work from the bedroom which was a real shame as I had a lot of work to do but couldn't.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed July 2, 2012

By far the best hostel of the north of Chile, charming, cute staff (Paola and Tabata) and cool owners dani and Vinko. Next of the main coast street and to a lot of restaurants, also next to the casino and the best spots for surfing in the north...

Just keep going ;like that...
Good Luck
PIH

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We checked into a double room at this hostel. First impressions were good with plenty sociable areas and communual kitchen however, the rooms are basic and the bathrooms are very disappointing especially the mens where they have to shower over the toilets. The ladies are 2 seperate showers but very mouldy and nowhere to hang anything. We were kept awake by load music until about 3.30am on our first night. We asked to move to another room hoping it would be quieter and we also requested a en-suite as the bathrooms became grubby with spilt wine and inconsiderate users. Our en-suite was OK but we had no hot water for 2 nights. We decided to check out days earlier than expected as we were kept up a further night due to another party with very load music until 2.30am at which point I went downstairs to ask for the music to be turned down slightly but no night staff were to be found. They claim to have 24 hour cover but this is not the case. In the mornings, the hostel is in a mess and people asleep on all the sofas etc. Its a party place which is fine if that is why you are here but that did not suit us and we moved to another hostel in a more central location and slept well. The hostel has potential but requires respect for all travellers and management to start managing. The reception staff however, were friendly and breakfast is bread and jam, tea/coffee. A let down for Hostelling International and I would not recommend it at this moment in time!

Room Tip: I think all rooms will be noisy while the music is being played
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Under the impression that all Hostelling International hostels had a similar atmosphere, we were happy when we arrived. However, the toilets / bathrooms were a big let down. The men had 2 cramped showers and toilets with the shower/toilet being the same compartment. You were expected to mop the floor after you have finished in case the next person needed to use the wet toilet. However, I neede to do this a one person, probably from the party downstairs, had been sick and a glass of red wine was wasted into the only sink. This is not really on with this standard of hostel. After a 12 hour day on the coach through the desert all we wanted was to shower and sleep. It was around 11 pm at this point and downstairs in the common area many guests were drinking and smoking playing loud music. Our room was affected by this. We asked if we could move but were told it was the quietest part of the house.

After a very poor night sleep when the noise dwindled at around 4.30 am, we wanted to leave.

The very good receptionist the following morningwas very apologetic and did have one room available that day which which should be quieter. It was also a Saturday night which tends to be a psrty night and the week is quiester. Reluctantly we stayed. The next night was still noisy but quieter and only till 2am.

We decided to endure it as we did like the location and it did seem that the day staff were doing their best to help. However, our 3rd night was the final straw. At 2.30am my wife went downstairs to speak to the night staff as the music was louder than every and we could hear people shouting and singing. We cauld also smell cigarette smoke from our room. She spoke to a person who she thought was staff but he said there were only guests here. THat is why the party was wild and people were smoking indoors. A real shame!

Every day we came down for breakfast to an indoor and outdoor common area strewn with spilled bottles and cans and the odd drunken person asleep in a corner or on a couch.

That was it. The morning staff were so apologetic and would look into it.

We are hear to enjoy ourselves but also make the most of the days. We were like zombies for 3 days.

Maybe for you but not for me!

Room Tip: Ask for a back room to aid some quiet sleep but it may be possible to get a balcony with a partial s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The hostel is a good location, only one block from the beach and few blocks from the supermarket. The city center is within walking distance and so is the Tur-Bus terminal and the mall with cinema for those who don’t mind to walk a little.
The common areas were very nice. There is a pool table, many games, bar, computer, large outside area, and plenty of seating areas. Kitchen was large, clean and very well equipped. My single private room (“Sin” number) was smallish but decent, clean and priced same as other hostels in Chile. The bed was comfortable and had good and clean linen. The breakfast was average-better hostel breakfast.
The reception staff and the working owners worked very hard and were very helpful and hospitable. Most staff spoke English. The hostel had nice atmosphere.
The Wi-Fi was good in the common areas but did not reach my room. Each week there is a grill night. I stayed for two nights and had no problem with noise.
I found two weak points of this hostel: the men’s bathrooms, and the lazy night staff/surfing instructor. The bathrooms were not great but there are worse. The shower and WC are located together in one small stall. There were no hooks or places to put your clothes and towel while you were taking shower. As the floor is mostly wet, it is constantly dirty from people walking on it with their shoes.
At my arrival at the hostel, around 7:00 a.m., I had to wait outside the gate and ring the door bell several times and for over 10 minutes. All while the night guy was sitting (clearly awake) on a couch in the living room, not more than 15 meters away from me, watching TV (located between us) and looking at me several times as I waited outside the gate ringing the bell (which I could clearly hear ringing on the inside)!!! The rest of the staff, especially the very hard working owners more than made up for him …
Overall, this was one of the better hostels I have been to and I can recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo