I am a world traveler and stay in 1-2 hotels every month worldwide.I had the exterme misfortune of staying at this hotel in March, 2013. Read my review and decide for yourself.
Antofagasta has a shortage of hotels and most hotels are always booked there. This is one of the prime reasons, that even standard hotels provide very poor service here.
The glitches at Radisson Antofagasta :-
1. I booked the hotel via hotel.com . However , on arrival at Radisson, I was informed that I did not have a booking. I was made to wait for 1.5 hours on the reception desk ( after a long flight). And if this was not enough the receptionist and her superior were extremely cocky about it. After 1.5 hours they finally were able to locate my booking in their computer. Instead of acknowledging the problem and apologizing to me , they were very hostile to me
One of them, said to me quote " we do not want clients like you staying at this Radisson or any other Radisson in the world. We will do just fine without you. We rather have no clients than clients like you". Unquote This was in response to my expressing my displeasure at their slackness.
In response, I told them, please give this to me, what you are saying in writing with 'hotel stamp' as evidence. To which she and her manager replied " Just shut up, else we will call the police and we will not give you a room either, even if you have already paid for it". Since I did not want to lose my money ( I had prepaid ) and interact with police in a foreign country, I decided to keep quiet. And I guess, you guys reading this review would have done the same?
2. Their was no hot water in the room for my 2 days stay. I am someone who just takes shower with hot water. I could not take shower for 2 days. This really impacted my business trip as I felt sleepy all day cos of not starting my day with a shower. By the way, I did complain 5-6 times but to no avail. I did not protest too much, lest they might call the police 'to set me right'!
3. The TV was not working in the room. I did not even bother to complain about this. I did not really have time to watch it either.
4. The morning breakfast ( included in room price) was very mediocre. Some cheese, fruits, bread, sweetened fruit juice, coffee and scrambled eggs were there on both the days. No variety and pretty ordinary stuff for a hotel priced that much.
5. The location of the hotel is terrible. Its at the far south and very far from the Plaza Mall. To gve you an idea,Hotel Terrado and Hotel Antofagasta are right next to Plaza Mall. Hotel Holiday Inn express is 3000 pesos ride from Plaza Mall ( the centre/heart of the town). While Radisson is at 5000 pesos ride from Plaza mall. Similarly if coming from airport, their is a difference of almost 5000 pesos going to Radisson as compared to say Holiday Inn express. ( I have stayed in 3-4 different hotels in the city in my various trips here).
6. The people at front desk are extremely hostile . They do not look like staff of a 3.5-4 star hotel. They look more like some jail warden or hostel matron or a night club bouncer.
7. No complimentary water bottle provided in the room on arrival. One bottle was placed in the bathroom with a big placard saying " Feel free to drink it but it will be charged to your room!"
8. Their was a mini bar in the room. It was under perpetual lock and key. I am not sure, how is one supposed to use it if it is kept locked!
9. In the bathroom, the toilet seat was broken. When I sat on it, I had to position myself, such that I do not slip and fall down.
10. The lunch and dinner menu available at the hotel, was pre-fixed and priced at 15500 pesos..almost 33 us$. Not worth it at all as the menu was very ordinary.
The positives :-
No place can be totally bad and the same holds good for this hotel.
1. The wi-fi connection was good and steady. I was able to use wi-fi without any problem throught my stay. It was free and included in my room rate.
2. The woman in charge of cleaning my room was a very nice woman. She did a good job in folding my clothes and making my room neat and tidy. Kudos to her.
3. i paid for ocean facing room. It was a good view with the noise of ocean waves clearly being heard in my room thoughout the night.
To sum it up, I will say this is the worst amongst all hotels I have stayed so far in Antofagasta. If possible, avoid it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your NH Antofagasta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Antofagasta
- Antofagasta Radisson