Pullman Douala Rabingha
Orbitz.com
Planet Hotel(Douala)
$83
Travelocity
All reviewsbusiness centervery nice hotelswimming poolbusiness tripaugustinclarissebarmancameroonfurniturerefurbcuisinewest
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Douala only has a few decent hotels (Le Meridien, Ibis, and Akwa Palace), and the Le Meridien is claimed to be the best here. If you're expecting this to be like any other Le Meridien property around the world, expected to be extremely disappointed. The hotel in general, and the rooms specifically, don't seem to have been remodeled since the 1970's, at best. Rooms are decent sized, but the beds are old, bathrooms have cracked and mildew-filled grout, and the common halls are dirty. Food choices are decent, but only the poolside restaurant is open on weekends. There is a large swimming pool, but beware of all the cracks in the tiles around the pool.

Overall, this is as good as it gets in Douala, but expect to be thoroughly disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank biztraveler12345
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I am a fan of the Meridien chain. Recent stays at their hotels in Warsaw, Budapest and KL have been fantastic! Unfortunately, Douala's Meridien does not live up to these expectations. I was in an older "non-renovated" room. I suppose you could call it "retro", but overall it was musty, with water dripping through the seams of the ceiling tiles. The cleanliness was questionable, with hairs in the sheets. Check out also took longer than you would expect and their exchange rates are very poor. On the bright side, there is a nice outdoor restaurant by the pool that served decent food and with security on every floor I felt completely safe. Ive also been told that they are in the midst of renovating some of the rooms and WIFI is installed throughout. Expensive for what it is- but maybe hope for the future?

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CANINLON
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Having travelled to Cameroon before and staying in mud brick housing in the north, I was excited about coming to a "luxury" hotel with creature comforts of home. This is the worst Starwood hotel I have ever been to. I have travelled to many of their hotels throughout the world and this particular hotel lacks the level of service, quality that is standard. Good things:
1. Located in the business district so banks and large corporations are nearby
2. Clean rooms, air conditioned
3. Key card required for elevator access
4. Good food in restaurant and poolside cafe
5. Nice pool
6. Casino located in the hotel basement
7. Nice business center with copiers, internet, multiple computer stations, wi-fi
8. Security guards stationed on each floor. Most I saw them doing besides sitting and looking bored was pushing the elevator call button for us
9. Safes located in the rooms
10. Oasis in a dirty, chaotic city
Now the bad things:
1. No other comparable hotel to stay at in the city
2. Exorbant rate for Cameroon (181 euros a night?!!)
3. Exorbant prices in gift shop ($100 USD for swim trunks!)
4. Rude staff (waitress rolled her eyes at us when we requested drinks. There was absolutely no reason to be that rude to us).
5. Pool man refused to get us pool towels. We asked twice, each time he told us to go to our room and use the white bath towels. The third time we asked and got the same answer we demanded towels and told him if he didn't get them we would speak to the hotel manager. Then he got them for us.
6. Our friend made a 10 min phone call to the US from the front desk because his room phone didn't work. He was presented with a bill for 135,000 CFA (about $300 US!!!) The night manager refused to explain the charges. After speaking with the hotel manager, Max, the bill was reduced to $75 but still exorbant for a 10 minute phone call. Max told us that had we gone to the Business Center the charges would have been around $10 because the call would have been on a VoIP line rather than a traditional phone line. The night manager should have explained that.
7. The skanky prostitutes lounging around. They approached my husband and our travelling companions in the casino and lobby. These prositutes weren't even being discreet. They were very obvious in their mannerisms and way of dress. It offended me that they were around the children staying at the hotel. The hotel manager told us that he was aware of this problem and was working on training his staff to get rid of them. I didn't see any staff making an effort to evict them. The same prostitutes came by every day we were there.
8. Half used tubes of toiletries left in the room. Come on, for the price paid for the room the staff should be replacing these when a guest checks out.
9. The non smoking room not really being non smoking.
10. Inconsistent internet service. When it worked, the speed was fairly fast however on 3 different occasions I was told to come back in 15 minutes when the server might be up
11. Empty bottles stuck back in the minibar. I mentioned this to the front desk who told me that someone would come by to restock it and remove the empty bottles. That never happened but luckily I wasn't charged for anything. Our friend had the same problem was charged but successfully disputed it.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank cstong
Reviewed January 3, 2007

We were at this hotel for about a week as my husband had business in Cameroon. We were there with our two children and found it a very pleasant oasis in the middle of chaotic, urban sprawl. The Cameroonians seem a bit diffident and somewhat wary of newcomers or foreigners, however after they got to know us and we were friendly and warm to them, they responded in kind. By the end of our week in the hotel, we even became attached to some of the workers there who greeted us warmly each day. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, there is an internet center open for much of the day and a lovely pool. We really enjoyed the poolside restaurant which serves wonderful fresh fish and other delicious dishes. Unfortunately, there is not a great deal to do in Doala beyond the market and just seeing the sites of an African city which was very new to us. However, if you find yourself in that part of the world, and can afford the hefty room rates that they charge, the Meridien is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank GinaM-TRIP
Reviewed May 8, 2006

There are not many good quality hotels in Douala, and this is one of the best. The facilities are good as you would expect with such a hotel, however I found the service very poor when there was a problem as the communication between staff seemed non-existant. I missed my connection to Douala and arrived 24 hours late. Despite my colleagues telling them they gave my room away. I then had to wait until 10pm to check into a room I was told I had for 24 hours only after which my proper room would be available for the rest of my weeks stay. The next day no one seemed to know about it and again there was no room available, but one was found at 11 pm.
One of my colleague's air con did not work as well as another electrical fault in the room. After reporting them they were "fixed" i.e. no different afterwards and every morning he complained about poor sleep due to a hot room.
Nobody seemed interested or to care about their customers.

Everything else was good and I would recommend this hotel to stay in Douala as there are not many alternatives.

13  Thank therealmikeymouse