Ibis Douala
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$163
Orbitz.com
$124
$117
Travelocity
All reviewsrooms are small but cleanenjoyed my stayother hotelscentral africarestaurant barchannels on tvthe hotel is cleanbeansbuffet stylecomfortable stayairport shuttleper nightbusiness hotelsecuritycameroonspeedluxury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Staff at check in were very efficient which is not normally the case in this part of the world as the pace of life is almost in reverse, we were not charged for additional night for checking in before 12 noon which has happened in other hotels in this region of Africa which is a complete and utter rip off but is referred to locally as "well, you are in Africa sir !!!!!" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. The bar was well stocked but once again the beer was overpriced but at least it was well chilled. Rooms were clean with A/C which is a must. No bugs or other vermin evident which was good news indeed. Evening meal was of good quality, the steak comes with compliments, Breakfast was ok but nothing spectacular, had a ham omelette which I'm glad to say was probably the best option (the only hot cooked option on offer as far as I could see). Overall this is a decent IBIS and the staff are well above the average in politeness and efficiency which makes the stay very comfortable. Beware the hookers who hang around aoutside the hotel and indeed also the hotel bar (depending on the security guard on duty it appears) as they will rob the eye out of your head if they suspect you are tipsy or banjoed drunk. I would this is a decent option on balance and it is a safe place to stay in central Douala. Major plus is the availablity of a free airport shuttle to and from the airport which runs every half hour or so.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NeilIssagum
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Good service; good location; adequate comfort - it would be better if there would be individual A/C controls in the rooms, but otherwise adequate A/C; food not great: quality and cleanliness could be improved; overall good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank DPLGL
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at Ibis Douala for just one night and I can say it is not the worst place I have stayed (see my reviews of Mercure in Lome and LeMeridien Port Gentil), but it certainly is far from being the best. I am a Platinum Accor guest but apparently that means nothing to folks at Ibis Douala. Even the Ibis in Lome offered me a welcoming beverage as well as a complimentary late checkout of 3PM. Not so in Douala. Initially I was given a smoking room but I immediately brought it to their attention and got the last non-smoking room. I am so used to all good hotels in US being 100% smoke free that I forget sometimes to specify that when I travel internationally. Wifi worked though slow of course. Reassigned room was clean and the shower worked great. Food was over priced for Ibis standards. I did note breakfast was similar to what was offered at Ibis Lome, though a few items were not offered. When I asked about late checkout, the receptionist repeatedly said I had received a room upgrade as a reward for my top status and would have to pay half day rate. If getting a non smoking room is considered an upgrade, I will be sure to never stay at Ibis Douala again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cornell S
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed for 1 night only. Receptionist was friendly and competent. Clean rooms, fairly priced. Breakfast was quite good. Swimming pool was poorly maintained. You'll have a souvenir sellers right in front of the hotel, but probably you'll get a better bargain 300m around the corner from the hotel.

Overall experience was GOOD!

Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wrc666
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Rooms were comfortable and from what I believe they have been upgraded. Wi-Fi didn't work properly, so I had to put the laptop on the bed to get a reasonable connection - on the desk was out of range (1m away!!).
Food was okay and breakfast left a little to be desired.
Not bad for a business trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business