“Many Good Things About the Tara, Food Isn't One of Them”
Review of Tara Angkor Hotel

Tara Angkor Hotel
Ranked #89 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Los Gatos, California
“Many Good Things About the Tara, Food Isn't One of Them”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Tara Angkor has everything a 4-star hotel should have—onsite restaurants, a bar, gift store, ability to arrange tours, and a spa. It's on the main street to Angkor Wat and also not that far from the Night and Traditional Markets.

The bed is one of the firmest I've ever slept on. I think a futon is softer. Although it wasn't the best for my taste, I slept quite well. The HVAC is one of the quietest.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was a bit of a disappointment. The dining room is smaller than the capacity of the hotel. Some days I had to clear a table to get a place to sit, as the staff wasn't around. The buffet had vegetarian, Asian, and Western choices, but the quality was quite average.

I was there over New Year's Eve. The hotel contacted me two days prior to leaving the USA to tell me there was a compulsory $55 charge per person for New Year's Eve. I was to attend their party. I found that a bit outrageous because I got great meals for $5 at the Night Market. I would have chosen to go there. (Of course I could have, but I would still be required to remit $55 to the hotel.)

The spa treatment I had was wonderful—a body scrub followed by a 60 minute massage.

If you stay at the hotel, I recommend eating elsewhere. There is some amazing food in Siem Reap, it's just not at the Tara.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DigitalRabbit
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Valued Client,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel on this website.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you found our location to be convenient for your visit, and that our team were able to assist you, I was very sorry to read that overall we were unable to meet your expectations. I would like to therefore sincerely apologise for any shortfalls in service experienced.

I believe there was a miscommunication with compulsory New year's Eve you have mentioned – indeed the information has been announced clearly to both for all offline agent or online booking such expedia.com,agoda or booking.com that it is compulsory, however our entertainment and food arrangement were performed by the best and deeply hope that you're understand.

Regarding meal or food, would you mind to give me more detail via email:gm@taraangkorhotel.com while I need to see the detail for further improvement.

Look forward to hearing from you in your earlier convenience time.

Wishes you all the best

Tara Angkor Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
toronto
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a tuk tuk ride away from the night market and pubs but with nothing else around it except a few local restaurants and tourist shops.
Rooms are clean , safe in the room easy to use but the room is a little small. Morning breakfast buffet is standard and worth the price since it would take time just to go somewhere else for breakfast and then hurry back to meet your guide to start your day.
Would try a different place if I was to come back again .

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Valued Client,

Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort and space of your guest room, and that our sumptuous breakfast exceeded your expectations, I was disappointed to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your overall stay.

I do hope that we would indeed have the opportunity to welcome you back and give us a chance to show you a faith of services

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel to any traveller visiting the Angkor Wat Temple complex.
The service by all the staff is excellent, the massages are wonderful and the rooms are very clean and comfortable.
The breakfasts are great, with the option of fresh omelettes etc - a brilliant mixture of local food and European food. The drinks, in particular the Singapore Slings are very morrish and reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank fridaygirl321
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you very much for taking time to review us on this website.

I was delighted to read that you had such a genuinely enjoyable time with us, and that your stay exceeded your expectations in every way.

In particular, of course, I was so pleased to read that our team were able to contribute to your overall experience, and ensure that the time you spent with us was so comfortable.

I do hope that soon we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerely yours

Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Tara Angkor for 3 nights as part of our tour. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a choice for all nationalities. From the minute we stepped into the Hotel we were treat like royalty by all staff members. The staff were charming, polite and extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel when visiting this area of a fascinating country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cags1960
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us, following your recent stay.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort and luxury of our spacious guest rooms, and that our team were able to provide a warm welcome to our hotel. I was delighted that you found, in general, our team members to be accommodating and friendly, and that your stay was a memorable one.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and indeed hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best Regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went as a family of 6 and stayed for 3 nights. I must say that we were pleasantly surprised by the great and friendly service that Tara Angkor accorded their guests. What makes it even better is that you see the genuineness in their smile and eagerness to make sure that you are looked after.

We arrived early morning and the staff at the reception went out of their way to get us into rooms at 10am. The reception area is airy and spacious, decor rustic. We booked the standard rooms which were large and clean. Bed was comfy, we slept well all 3 nights.

They had a gym, spa and swimming pool all of which we didn't get chance to use but looked cool!! Breakfast was good, spread of local and western cuisine.

If there were any downside, I'd have to say the wifi wasn't very stable and slow and location isn't the best if you'd prefer to frequent the town as it is about 5 minutes by tuktuk (USD2 per pop).

Apart from that, everything else about this hotel is great. Might not be the best but is worth the price that we paid. If you prefer to be away from the hustle of Siem Reap, this is recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you very much for spending time to review us your experiences of recent stay.
We were delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your time , and that our team were able to create such a memorable experience for you all.

Apologies for the case of WiFi while in fact we are under upgrade the system and hope to be welcoming your family and you back in the next visit.

Happy New Year 2014

Sincerely Yours

Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Large rooms though little old fashioned. Bathrooms slightly small. Bedroom slippers provided. Air conditioner directly above bed so slightly uncomfortable. Breakfast not much veg options can do better. Little far out from town but close to Angkor parks. Service efficient and friendly staff.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Valued client,

Thank you for taking time to review us on this website.

All valued comment will bring to share and report to our Board directors as well as Tara Angkor Team.

On behalf of team, I would like to express our sincerely thank for chosen us to accommodate during this visit and hope will have chance to welcoming you back in next visit.

Happy New year 2014

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

fast check in & fast check out, Gowns & slippers provided,
decent continental breakfast for Vegetarians (even the cornflakes were just like Kellogs!) fresh fruit and fresh salad.
Great location, clean rooms, staff are only too happy to help (served with a smile) so nice.....
Our Guide was great (we did not book through the hotel)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Valued Client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay.

I was delighted to read that your stay were another special memorable,I am glad that you found our location to be so convenient while just would like to repeat again that we are on the prime location between town and Angkor Wat by 5 minutes each way.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back for another wonderful stay.