“Can’t go wrong here with a pool”

Downtown Siem Reap Hostel
Ranked #18 of 305 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed August 4, 2013

As we heard that most desirable places in Siam Reap are booked up early, we decided to pre-book our stay here. We liked the idea that it had a pool and reviews seemed to be good. The reviews lived up to our expectations, the guesthouse turned out to be a very young chilled guesthouse with a lively pool atmosphere and the owner played music or the English radio channels during the day. Annoyingly we had to wait until 2pm until we could check into our rooms, which we did not mind, we just had nowhere to store our luggage apart from using the main reception which was impractical. The owner did make an effort to speak to us while we were there, although it did come across as being forced and he came across as being arrogant. When we tried to book the room for another night he put the cost of our room up by $6 which was very frustrating as he knew we were happy staying here. Rooms were basic, clean, no qualms about the room at all. Overall a nice stay, was pleasant having a pool after exploring Angkor Wat in the heat and proved to encourage a nice sociable atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a hostel definitely geared towards the independent traveller, and the party hostel crowd. There is an excellent pool area, with accompanying bar, in addition to tables, hammocks, a sofa, and mats for the grass for sunbathing. BBQ and movie night provided a great social atmosphere. The bar and the lad running it were excellent - and provided a nice meeting point for various solo travellers and groups. Food served was generally pretty good, if a little pricey, but it was one of the only places on my trip serving English style breakfasts - which was a definite plus!

The manager was great - warm, welcoming and very helpful. Organised a tuk-tuk and reliable guide for the temples for a large group of travelers at the hostel, which is something to consider if you want to save a lot of money.

The dooms rooms are average, if a little cramped. There was only one sheet on the bed which meant you have to sleep on the mattress. Bathroom and shower facilities were also average but expected for the region - with the standard cold water shower and toliet room combo.

If you want a good nights sleep though - you may be disappointed, depending on the room you get. There will be noise from the bar and pool well until the early morning, and there was a persistent problem with the neighbourhood dogs howling during the night - which, to me was way more disturbing than the noise from the bar. Granted, the hostel owners can't do much about this, but it is something to consider when booking.

My stay here was fun - if you want to meet other travellers, to relax by a pool, and to drink or party with like minded people, you will like this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Really nice place. I stayed in a dorm 6 people but the room was big and fresh. Shared toilet clean. Really really nice swimming pool and great vibe! Good for meeting people and other travellers! Definitely recommanded.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The good reviews here and on hostelworld helped me make the decision to stay here, something I'm now sorry about. On the whole I think this hostel is poor / average. There were a number of things that disappointed me:
lack of sheets on beds. Some beds only had one sheet on the bed and it didn't even cover the mattress properly. I didn't have a top sheet (a basic requirement), when I asked for one I got a confused response from staff telling me that there may not be enough... odd.
The bathrooms were smelly and unclean, the shower head in my nearest bathroom was leaking, which meant water sprayed from all angles soaking the entire (small) bathroom when showering. There was also no hook to hang them, meaning you had to hold the shower head head the entire time.
The staff were mostly friendly, although were a bit unhelpful, every query or request seems like a lot of work for them, and things took a long time. Checking out took about 15 minutes, despite there being no queue. They seemed awkward or fearful, which maybe due to lack of camaraderie among staff (noticed the manager appearing rude towards them on a couple of occasions).

The A/C in my room did not work, I reported this but there was no improvement afterwards...

Positives: staff helped organise tuk tuk for temples, the pool is nice feature (maybe why so many people love the place), and the location is excellent.

I can say I did not enjoy my stay here and wouldn't return. the lack of cleanliness, overall atmosphere, & poor facilities makes this place very average.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

My three night stay in Siem reap was better because I was staying in downtown siem reap hostel! With movie/barbecue nights, great and helpfull staff and good food has it been a good stay! The pool on top of that is great an big!! Stay here :D

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Chnvd
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Downtown is one of the most chilled hostels I've found so far in Asia. Amazing for meeting travellers and the pool is really chilling. Such a good place to hang out and great location near pub street. Service was really good and super cheap rooms! Big thanks to the owner Mark for making our stay great! Highly recommended and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heather C
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Overall, it was an awesome 3 days stay here. Friendly atmosphere and the price is definitely great value for what they provided you. The pool side in the hostel is a wonderful place to relax and interact with fellow travelers if you are tired from temple hunting or just want to laze around in the hot afternoon sun. Throw in a guitar, hammocks and a poolside bar serving you drinks and food all day and there you go, it will be too tempting to leave the hostel.
Service wise, staff here are friendly and helpful, but i would recommend not to buy bus tickets through the guesthouse as they charged more expensive (they quoted me $20 for a night bus to Sihanoukville, while other travel agencies quoted me $15).

Other details: Stayed here during low season May, paid $10 for a double room (name's motor room) on the top level (which will require you to climb some stairs). Room is bascially pretty warm throughout the day, fan is working fine but its not strong enough to keep the room cool, so I would advise to stay away from this room. Attached bathroom, clean conditions, no A/C. You gotta pay extra for A/C. Free wifi.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor rooms if you dun wan to climb and motor room because its kinda warm throughout the d...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Josh1009, Owner at Downtown Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thanks for your review, of which I'm grateful you took the time to write.

Just for readers though, I'd like to mention about climbing the mentioned stairs here- we actually only have two floors, so most people, even 70 year olds can normally manage them without too much of a problem.

Secondly regarding bus tickets- we have bus tickets to the mentioned town from $13 to $20. Perhaps the $13 bus was full, which is why we were unable to book it. I don't know though.

Finally, I'd like to mention that at certain times of the year temperatures are close to 40 degrees or over, and night temperatures rarely fall below 35 degrees. A room will not be able to be cooled by a fan, anywhere. All our rooms are equipped with AC at a surcharge, and are advised during the hot season (March-July). The rest of the year you can most probably suffice with a fan.

We have had approximately 3000 backpackers staying at my hostel in the past 12 months- and we are consistently quoted as one of the best hostels in SE Asia. I hope to see you in the future, and guarantee that you will be staying in a friendly safe environment and a perfect place for meeting other backpackers. Your host Mark.