“Cambodian Riviera!”

Ranked #253 of 340 Hotels in Siem Reap
Wirral
“Cambodian Riviera!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Being somewhat older travellers than the average backpackers - we took the safer option of prebooking a three day trip to Cambodia from our base in Thailand. As part of the package we were offered the choice of a three or four star hotel and, having opted for the 4 star, we found ourselves spending two nights in the Angkor Riviera in Siem Reap. The hotel was centrally located, allowing easy access to the Night Market and Pub Street and within easy driving distance of all the major temples on the tourist trail. We had a room on the first floor which was smallish but clean, comfortable and quiet. There is a small swimming pool with a few loungers which could easily become crowded in the high season. The pool and surrounding area was clean and pool towels were provided by the hotel on request. Breakfast was included and proved to be an interesting experience, highlighting the fact that European visitors are still in the minority. Although there was a fair selection of food - the predominance of noodles, rice and other oriental fare, which we Westerners would normally associate with lunch or an evening meal seemed strange to our palate. However there were also excellent omelettes, fresh fruit, croissants and pastries. The coffee was suspect! The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the bar staff extremely so - as were the majority of the Cambodian people we met. We found Siem Reap to be a fascinating city and one in which we felt completely at ease. With hindsight, we made the mistake of spending two of our three days travelling to and from the City by minibus. Although this gave us the benefit of seeing the surrounding countryside, it meant cramming all our visits to the significant temples into one day, which, in temperatures of 35c+ was hard and tiring work. Thank goodness for the pool at the hotel. Be aware that it pays to have organised a visa into Cambodia prior to a visit. Although an earlier purchase does not lessen the queuing and complete lack of organisation that is the Cambodian border agency - it does mean that you purchase a visa at a price determined by the Cambodian state rather than have to haggle with the local representatives. However we had a wonderful time and would have no hesitation in recommending the Hotel and Siem Reap to fellow travellers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank WirralNemesis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Weihai, China
Reviewed August 20, 2012

“Asia Best Travel & Tour” helped us to book a room in Angkor Riviera Hotel for 4 nights at $30 per night. It turns out our best stay in our Southeast Asia trip so far.

Our room was pretty new and clean, beds were comfortable. Breakfast was pretty good. Staffs were friendly and helpful. The location was very close to the night market and pub street, many restaurants there. It was wonderful to have a nice dinner every evening.

It was easy to hire a tutu driver just outside of the hotel on our second day, the cost was $12. His driving skill was better than the driver we hired on the street on our first day.

Though, it didn’t appear that staffs were knowledgeable on buses to Bangkok from Siem Reap. They didn’t know how many bus companies were doing the business, which was better etc. After asking a few agents on pub street, found out that “Hang Tec” was the most popular. Buses left at 6:00am, 8:00am and 11:30am, hotel pick-up was offered. Regular air-condition bus was $9 each. VIP bus ticket was $13, a bottle of water and snack were provided on the bus, but on Cambodia side only. Minivans on Thailand side were all same. Our trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok was about 12 hours total, including 3+ hours to cross border.

The last, it would be nice if the hotel could provide local maps to their guesses.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visited Siem Reap in March of 2012 & decided to stay at the Angkor Riviera Hotel based on a recommendation of relatives. We were completely satisified to the extent that when we returned again this August 2012 with 2 of our children & a friend we did not hesitate to once again book rooms at this very same hotel. This time we were able to get a room for 3 people as well. The location, pool, room amenities & the cheerful helpful & friendly staff combine to make it a pleasant stay. Minutes out of the hotel door you are where the shopping, restaurants & even before you take a step there are numerous offers of transportation. We chose to book the same guide we were recommended in March. Excellent tours & really great weather. We will definitely stay here again when we return.

Room Tip: We prefer a room overlooking the pool and close to the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ThaiFamilyExperience
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 1, 2012

nice hotel next to the river. no air con on the first floor so lobby & restaurant are very hot and humid. wifi is only on the first floor & in the pool area. Room was fine & bath and shower were good.

Room Tip: get a lower floor room so maybe you can pickup wifi in the room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel was just perfect for my 4 day, 3 night stay in Siem Reap. I arrived late afternoon and was thinking I would have to deal with getting a taxi, but to my (very happy) surprise there was a car from the hotel waiting for me at the airport even though I never gave them my flight information. This was just the beginning of a wonderful and helpful stay at the Angkor Riviera. The man who drove me from the airport was just as nice as could be, made me feel very comfortable in the city and was super helpful with food and must see spots in the city. Before I even got to the hotel I booked him to drive me around the Temples the next day (a steal all day private driver in an air con car no tour groups to deal with for $30 totally worth it if you want to do all the Wats on your own). Once I arrived at the hotel they were waiting with a cool hand towel and fresh O.J. check in was a breeze and the room was perfect. Very clean, cool A.C. free bottled water, and very quite even thought I was facing the street. During my whole visit the staff was ready and willing to answer any questions I had whether it be about the hotel or Siem Reap itself. Also the room included breakfast, I don't know about you but my day does not start until I have coffee and it was perfect here, the breakfast was huge, with Eastern and Western style food to choose from and an omelet bar (also plenty of options for a vegetarian, and non egg eater). The breakfast was every morning from 6 to 9 a.m. so plenty of time to get in some yummy food before you hit the town. The location was also just perfect, 5 minute walk to the night market and pub street, even at night I felt very safe walking to and from the hotel (being a single female traveler) and a 10 minute walk to the old market and the National Museum. The Siem Reap river is right across the street and a great place to take a stroll and people watch. It is also about as close to Angkor Wat as you can get, I started with the furthest temple and worked my way back to the main Angkor Wat. With the driver and me talking my sweet time looking at the beautiful Wats it took about 1/2 a day (only did 6 temples in total). And there is nothing better than jumping into the cool pool after a day of temple walking and the Cambodia heat.
I could not have asked for a better place to stay both in convince and hospitality, I will for sure come back to this hotel and for sure Siem Reap again, people, food, culture, and history everything in Siem Reap is worth the trip you will not be disappointed.
Also if you want a great driver E-mail Mr. Roath for a private car to tour the temples, it is totally worth it and he is amazing, nice, helpful, knowledgeable about the temples,Cambodia and so much more. yamadaphal@hotmail.com he will make you feel like you are just hanging out looking at some amazing sights!!!!!
Great stay in a wonderful hotel in an even better city

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank selenasto
Saint-Pierre, Reunion Island
Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you're looking for a hotel with big, beautiful rooms with king-size bed, desk, sofa, coffee table etc., then go for this hotel. It's good value for money. Great, central location in the middle of Siem Reap. The room rate ($40) included a decent breakfast. There is a swimming pool, but it's a bit small. The gym is not in good condition and the machines are old and broken.
Although the hotel has no charm or ambience, it's worth staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew H
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My cousin and I chose to stay in this hotel for a total of 3 nights. Like previous travelers to this hotel, we were a bit off put by the air ventilation as the corridors and the lobby did not have air-conditioning. However, we were pleasantly surprised by our rooms. They were chic and had a good view of the pool.

General plus points: On the first day, I got my luggage locked and was unable to open it. The receptionist, within calling, sent someone to open it for me within 2 minutes. For breakfast, there was a good buffet spread and the waiters and waitresses were so kind and friendly. The receptionist was also very friendly and was constantly offering to make our trips better. We made friends with the hotel tuk-tuk driver who waited for us at Pub Street, so that we wont be ripped of by the other more expensive tuk-tuk drivers.

This is one of the best hotels to stay in, it is just the right distance away from Pub Street to be away from all the noise but just near enough to walk to Pub Street. Will definitely visit again!! :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends