and 1 more site!
The Siem Reap Hostel
Reviewed November 18, 2013

There is a reason why this hostel is no1 on hostelworld. It is a little more expensive than the other hostels in central siem reap but my god is it worth it! I can not explain enough how lovely the staff here (Somali in particular!). They go above and beyond to help you and even the cleaners who don't speak great english will greet you with a smile and try their hardest to respond to your requests. For a solo traveler this hostel was perfect because you literally just have to sit in the bar and before you know it everyone is talking to you. The only fault I can give this place is that the pool is by the bar so you will feel very exposed while swimming. But then that is not the hostel's fault but the architects! The cinema room is amazing and there is a pool table to add to pleasure. I made a friend at the border of Cambodia who came with me to get a room but they were actually fully booked for the rest of the week! As i said its no1 for a reason!

Room Tip: check out the cinema room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is one of the best hostels I´ve ever stayed at. We booked two nights but loved it so much that we came back and stayed for another four nights. The staff is very friendly and helpful.The deluxe dormrooms are super spacious, clean and comfortable. They´ve got a balcony, huge locker, super comfy beds (with nice pillows) and hot showers!! The common area is the perfect place to meet new people and hang out. Plus it´s only a 5 minute walk to the old market and pub street.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I've been staying in hostels all over SE asia for a couple of months. I stayed in 3 in SIem Reap. The Siem Reap hostel is BY FAR the best. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Mad Monkey is great if you want to catch an STD or like listening to people have sex in your dorm, or like a thumping bar right at your roomside. Downtown Siem Reap hostel has a nice pool area and good vibe but it's a bit chaotic and the building itself is in need of an update.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff so friendly. Food walk is a nice way too meet travelers. Short tuk tuk or walk to pub street but still away from the main noise.

Food is cheap, tasty and plentiful. Room was old and bed sheets were a bit tattered but bathroom facilities excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi and thanks for the great review and good score. Haven't heard back from you as to which room you thought was old - all our rooms have been redecorated within the last 12 months! Unfortunately Siem Reap water supply has occasionally had heavy iron content these past few months -while it's quite safe for bathing, unfortunately it's discoloured much of our linen. Linen is always presented freshly washed to new guests and changed every 3 days for the duration of your stay. We have to balance keeping our costs down against this problem as constant replacement would be expensive. Everyone in town is dealing with this issue and the solution to water issues here are still some years away by all reports. All the best.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Best hostel I've ever stayed at! Originally booked for 5 nights and loved it so much I had to add an extra night. Dorms are clean and spacious. All staff members are so friendly - tuk tuk drivers too (I highly recommend Chet). fantastic location - a 5 minute walk to old market and pub st. Perfect place to hang and meet new people

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Other than having dormitory rooms, the Siem Reap Hostel is more like a hotel than a hostel. I stayed in a single room for two weeks. The single rooms are huge, spacious and clean. Bed linens were thin but clean and the bathroom was big and had sufficient hot water if and when needed. The mattresses were a little hard but that did not prevent me from sleeping well. Breakfast was included with the single room and it was simple and good. There was ample fresh fruit, toast, pancakes,cereal and coffee/tea/juice. Who needs bacon and eggs when you have fresh tropical fruit available? The restaurant also served very good food at reasonable prices and cheap beer and cocktails during happy hour. The restaurant was set up such that you could easily socialize with other travellers or have some quiet time on you own. Gus and Driess, the Aussie managers, were usually around in the evenings happily providing useful tips on good restaurants and the best sights around town. They and their staff made me and I'm sure every other traveller feel at home. In my opinion, you get more that you dollars worth at this hostel. I look forward to my next trip to Siem Reap. Hopefully, Gus and Dreiss will still be managing the hostel then.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed in private 106, for 3 nights. The room is huge, with a double and a single bed (which I used as it is opposite the AC). Was picked up from the airport by the hostel tuk tuk, and waited in the restaurant over my first Angkor draft while the room was prepared. Luckily the room was handed over at 1pm and it was very spacious. First impressions looking at the building terrace just across gave me shiver, as I had read the review of the lady on TA who got robbed. I checked the door which felt a bit rickety so opened the main door to go downstairs. This is the moment when I was introduced to one of the Aussie Management who was passing by, he popped in and assured me that every-thing will be fine and they have taken new security measures since that incident. Over the next few nights, I got to know all of the staff by name and strangely they remember you by name as well. They arranged me a guide (who was OK’ish, but learnt my SLR faster than I had and took some beautiful pics).
Pros:
•Good and prompt communication through the email and telephone.
•Great value for the private at 18$ a night including breakfast and one free load of laundry.
•Super friendly and informative staff and management, things like booking my Ibis bus to Phnom was done over a pint.
•Hot water with good pressure, towels (wish they gave me an extra set for the private, drying takes a bit of time due to the humidity).
•Super spacious rooms.
•Happy hour from 5-8, if I remember correctly for ½ dollar pints.
•Super tasty food which goes down well, remember we are on a trip here.
•Don’t miss going through the Tips and Advice Folder in the mini book stand in the restaurant area.
•Huge lockers beneath the beds to lock away your valuables, padlocks available in the reception.
What a nice looking website.

Cons:
•Music I felt was a bit loud and over-empowering.
•Voices of some really loud guests and music from downstairs echoed into my room in the night when I had to sleep early for the sunrise and also in the afternoon.
Rooms could be cleaned a bit better, my feet went black after walking barefeet the first day.

Wish List
A cheap glass or two for drinking water or juice in the room.
A stand in the shower for keeping your toileteries.

Memorable Moment
Watching daybreak with the Banyan Tree in the property across the balcony while remotely hearing Vedic chants coming from the nearby temple. Gus and Driess, thank you again for making my stay a memorable one, hope you enjoyed the choco-liquor.

Room Tip: 206 and 306 would make great privates, considering they are a floor higher than the adjacent buildin...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us. Indeed we have beefed up security here at the Hostel. A complete sensor system now surrounds the building augmenting our CCTV. It's unfortunate we have had to do this but of course we have to protect our guests and we are confident there will not be a repeat of that episode.
Thanks for the ups -the music ? well we love our tunes and don't mind cranking it a shade or 2 in the evening when the bar and restaurant is pumping.
I've passed on your remarks to our cleaning staff who generally have been doing an excellent job keeping the place clean -we in management work closely with all our staff to get the best results in a happy work place.
Thanks for the chocs - yum!
Cheers