“Wow! All backpackers should stay here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Siem Reap Hostel

The Siem Reap Hostel
“Wow! All backpackers should stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I was told about this place before I came to siem reap as people in Phnom Penh were staying here, I thought I would check it out for one night... So I emailed them to check availability, and the receptionists emailed back in 10 minutes to confirm my room was ready, and to say she had reserved...! I came off the bus from Phnom Penh, and a tuk tuk driver had my name written on a piece of paper and was ready to take me to the hostel! Didn't have to mess around after an 8hour journey! When we arrived at the hostel.... There was no charge for the tuk tuk??? Free pick up!!! The receptionist took my bag to my room and showed me around! I was so shocked!!

My dorm was so big, with 6 beds, air con and a fan! My bed was unusually comfortable, and the first night I met some amazing people in my room!

I arrived at about 6pm , and was a bit hot, so I went down stairs ordered myself a 50cent beer and jumped in the pool!

Food was amazing, and good value! With western and local foods!

They have tuk tuk drivers at the hostel so you know you won't get ripped off when you book one up! Very nice and calm!

It's about 5 minute walk from pub street and was perfect for the nights we went out and had to walk home at 4am!

2 guys who manage the place were so friendly and always around to give advice! And pretty much planned my trip for me to go to Battambang... So greatful!
Oh and it's always nice to go into your room when it's been cleaned.... Especially if there are men staying there!!'

All in all.... Amazing place, was meant to stay here for 1 night, 1 week an 3 days on and I'm still here!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Libbyskilling
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Libby, It was a pleasure having you here. Thanks for the kind words, particularly about our tuk tuk drivers & staff. They all strive to make sure you really do have the best experience possible here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wow, this hostel is good, everyone is friendly and English fluency. The location is great, just 5m walk to famous Pub Street and if you are afraid going at night, there are always Tuk Tuk (supported by the hostel itself) waiting for you. The hostel also arranged tour, bus and Tuk Tuk drivers for me (free pick up when i arrived to Siem Reap). An ambient bar next to the pool has two long tables where you can sit chatting, sharing your stories with other travellers. The negative side is about the dorm room. High bunk bed and very close to the fan (so dangerous if u get drunk and climb up). The upper bunk bed also lack electricity socket so i have to charge my phone at other bed. Overall, this is a good place to stay when u backpacking to Siem Reap.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tamali71
thesiemreaphostel, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thanks for your input. We had a look at the fan situation and agree that some of the bed ladders are too close. We are moving the beds around to correct this during our current spring cleaning efforts, though I may add no-one has ever had such an accident here.
Next time you visit, expect the rooms to be 100% as well as the same friendly vibe and good times.
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

comfortable private rooms with well working air conditioning. clean but not sparkling bathroom. the staff is extremely helpful and kind, although the food at the bar is a tad overpriced, but everything is in siem reap. nice pool and very cosy bar. loved it!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank chrigitravel
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Before i say anything about the rooms let me tell u I got robbed here. It was totally my fault in that I was staying in a dorm and forgot to lock the locker... so, I can't even blame the hostel, it might have been another guest...

However, it must be added that regardless of having forgotten the padlock the hostel itself is not very secure. The dorm doors don't lock automatically behind u and more often than not someone forgets to lock the door, allowing anybody to just walk in and do as they please...

That having been said, I must add the hostel has a good staff, the people working at the restauran were all very friendly. and the front desk was helpful too. Can't say much about the people cleaning because I don't think I ever saw them!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Ana B
thesiemreaphostel, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
We at the hostel really value your input, as your good times are our business. We aim to provide a cut above the usual grind of backpacking in the region. It's immensely satisfying when guests enjoy their stay. Alternatively, its disappointing when we are not seen to be providing the experience a guest is looking for. As for the security issues mentioned in your review, We think it's only fair to mention that we provided you with a locker which you chose not to use. it's also worth mentioning that the hostel has reception staff on duty 24 hours a day to stop people just walking in off the street, closed circuit television monitoring & rules that inhibit outsiders from being in guest's rooms & dorms. This is for the safety of all our guests. It's unfortunate that you lost property whilst here, but we feel its not a fair a comment to say that " anybody" could " just walk in and do as they please".
Jining, Shandong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I totally recommend the Siem Reap Hostel. For the reasons being: friendly and helpful staff, people in the reception are always very very keen to give you any information you need; awesome private room, I don't know how the dorms are so I can't speak on their behalf. I stayed 5 nights in a private room and I have nothing to complain about. Comfortable big room, with fan and air cond. TV, clean sheets every day, and a balcony. The common area is excellent! Good music and food. Price: U$15 a night with breakfast included. In addition, they have the best tuktuk driver in town: Phara So! This man is amazing! Happily he will take you around Angkor Wat and even further if you wish. I must say that Phara So provided me an unforgettable experience in Cambodia due to his friendliness and recommendations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was staying in a 6 bed dorm for 4 nights and found the staff to be courteous, but the dorm to not be of the standards I expected from the reviews and feedback I've had from other travellers. The "security box" is not very safe and the rooms smelled of humidity (not considering the bathrooms that were worse). It is clean, although not the cleanest and I expected this hostel to be better than this. It's not far away from the central market where you find most of the restaurants and places to buy some souvenirs.

Room Tip: Avoid the dorm, maybe the rooms are better....I could not tell, but better to take a chance.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Joachim1975
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here, Joachim, if you come back through some day, please come and check out the current condition of the Hostel. I think you'll be impressed.

Since this review was posted, all our dorms have been repainted and brought back to the highest standard.
Extraction fans have been repaired where necessary and drains cleaned, so no more humidity.
Security lockers have been reinforced and general security around the Hostel upgraded.

Cheers

Gus and Driess
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The staff is very eager to help. Downstairs is very cool. Good music, food, and people. 30 m bike ride from Angkor. 10 m walk from pub st. I would stay again. The sheets were not the cleanest, nor was the shower. But definitely not the worst.

• Stayed August 2012