“Good place to stay”

Ranked #140 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
New York, New York, United States
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a lovely little guesthouse. The staff are all very friendly and most speak English well, but even the staff who did not speak English well did their best to help us.

The pool was very nice; it was clean and the water was nice and cool. Just perfect after a day out wandering around the temples in the sweltering heat and humidity.

The room we had was spacious and clean with one large queen bed and one double which we didn't sleep in.

The location is also amazing - just 5 minutes walk to Pub Street and the Night and Old Markets but it's far enough away from all the noise and crowd. It's also situated around all the other hotels/guesthouses so it's very safe to walk around. We rarely took a tuk tuk around Siem Reap itself, preferring to enjoy the local environment. The only time we took a tuk tuk was when we went to the ruins.

Our Tuk Tuk driver's name is 'Hak' and he stays outside the guesthouse. He took us to the Angkor Wat ticket station on the afternoon we arrived at the guesthouse, and then we went on to do the sunset viewing of Angkor Wat after that.

Hak's english isn't great but he was very friendly and very honest with his prices; we stayed with him for our entire stay. We definitely highly recommend him.

There were three things which we found lacking:
1. The hotel confused our pick up time at the airport. We arrived at 12pm but they thought 12am...so we ended up waiting at the airport for a while and couldn't get through to them on the phone. Eventually we gave up and caught a taxi to the hotel.

2. The food at the restaurant (both Khmer and Western) is rather terrible. Just skip the restaurant's food. There are ALOT of really good Khmer food literally around the corner from the guesthouse and cheaper as well.

3. The shower took forever to heat up the hot water...we literally had to leave the water running for a full 5 minutes before it started warming up. During the day the cold shower is fine since it's soooo hot, but in the morning it's a rude awakening!

Overall though the hotel was very lovely. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our three-night stay was very pleasant and without problems. We were picked up from the bus station on arrival and had no difficulties at check-in. (As we always do, we had contacted the hotel a couple of days before arriving to confirm the reservation we had made. We did this all through Cambodia and Vietnam, and it seems to have helped. We encountered none of the check-in problems that other reviewers describe.) All the staff was quite helpful; the restaurant staff was especially friendly. The room was clean, air-conditioned, and adequate, not fancy but appropriate for this price range. The food in the restaurant was quite good. Breakfast was simple but good, and came with smiles. The pool was a treat, heavenly to have after a day in the heat. I loved the facts that we were expected to take off our shoes in guest areas (we do this at our home in the U.S., so no surprise) and that some of the staff's children were present. This was one of the places in our travels that really had a family feel to it. We very much enjoyed that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start we the good. The rooms were nice and clean. The location was close to the market and pub st. The pool area was nice, even though we didn't really use it. And the price was good for what you get.

Now what I didn't like. We booked a double room but they gave us a twin for the first night and told us we could switch in the morning, which we were fine with. Then in the morn, one guy told us we couldn't because I had book a twin room. When I then showed him my booking, which I still had luckily, and it clearly showed I didn't make a mistake all he said was ok without any apology.

Then on check out they tried to overcharge us by $2 a night. When I pulled out my booking again to show him the mistake all he said was "o", again with no apology.

I understand that everyone makes mistakes but I really didn't like the rudeness from the one guy when all I wanted was for him to fix his mistakes.

• Stayed February 2013
Beijing, China
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a lovely, comfortable guesthouse with amazing hot showers, great A/C, a swimming pool, and good breakfast.

Siem Reap has occasional power outages, and this guesthouse does NOT have a generator. So that lovely A/C and the running water disappear when the power goes. Luckily, if you're hot on a no-power day, you can jump in the pool!

The breakfast service was a bit spotty, but it's a nice way to start your day.

They have a pet myna bird who is extremely loud. I found earplugs to be handy, but the two people I was traveling with did fine without them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We book ther from booking .com for 4 nights.
When we arrived there, very tired from trip from Bangkok, they didn’t have room for us.
They send us for a day in a horrible place, and when I told the manager ( son I low of the owner) that we don’t stay there he told me on the phone that they have one more place where we can stay or to get my money back and find a place on my own!! When I told him that this is
Imposable and that they have to find a proper place for us he hung off the phone to my face!!
Finally after 2 hours wondering around exhausted from the trip and heat they drop us in a place much cheaper (13 $). We stay there because we had no more power to do anything else! The all filing was horrible, we were in Cambodia first time for us, exhausted, not knowing anybody there, helpless, facing the unbelievable behavior of the owner-manager.
Second day we moved to Tanei where he told us that we have 2 options or we pay 15$
For the first day in the other place or we have a diner in there restaurant ( one dish each and a small bolted water ,max price was like 10 $!!!!) and that’s all!!! when I asked at least to have the offer that they have in their web site for the 4 days stay (one massage for each and a fruit basket ) he told me no, because he has to pay commission to booking.com., even that I pay the same price with their web site.
Worst Manager ever!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikolaos T
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this hotel through internet directly to the guesthouse, and I re-confirmed with 2 emails once is almost half month before i arrived and the one 3 days before I started my trip as they said in the email. They didn't reply me, and I also did get any return email said the email is unavailable to send.
After I arrived they said they didn't get my email and refer to the other one, all the deals confirm before we didn't get any, except the same room rate. But it's fine. I just want to have a room to stay, and after I was transffered to the other guesthouse next to Tanei, they kick us out because they said they promised us we can stay 2 days only. Jesus, i book for 6 nights!!! And when we check in the guesthouse the refer us to, they NEVER tell us we can stay for only 2 DAYS! (That morning, 12 Feb, is really peak, we need to find other guesthouse in the morning which we suppose to be the way to visit Angkor wat). I believe that good people have good results, I finally got a room after visit over 10 guesthouses. I saw a lot of people asking for room too, I got the final room at the 11th and lucky for just delay one hour.

I don't mind if other still want to live in this guesthouse, but pls protect yourself, i don't trust to book with gusthouse directly anymore cox they will sell it in a higher price and kick you out if they wanted to. Or they can say they didn't receive your emails, pls, when u check in, MUST black and white to written down the nights you want to spend. Otherwise you will experience same as me I guess, especially the Peak season.

That is also my birthday trip.....and this is the only dirty point for my trip. Overall people are nice there in Siem Reap!

Room Tip: Make sure all you need to make it in black and white confirmation if you choose this guesthouse, esp...