“Enjoy and beyond expetations”
Review of Golden Mango Inn

Golden Mango Inn
Ranked #13 of 489 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
HK
“Enjoy and beyond expetations”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

My stay: 17 Jul - 21 Jul 2009
This was my 2nd visit to Angkor (Siem Reap). This inn is brilliant both in terms of value and quality. Sony is so helpful and cheerful. The room is very clean (housekeeping everyday). There is a small fridge (we bought ice-cream for a treat after waking up (successfully) at 4 for the magnificent angkor wat sunrise!!)

After a long day of sighseeing,I was lying in a air-coned room after a hot shower and surfing internet (in Wi-Fi , though the signal is weak)..... That really have made up my tiring day.

This hostel lies on the road to angkor wat and grand circuit (a shortcut, my driver says). Though, Its location is a bit far from the old market (10 mins tuk tuk), honestly old mkt is too noisy for a sleep. The hostel offer free drive to old market but we have to find our own tuk tuk home (anyway it's just US$2). There is a local fruit market nearby the hostel.

Simple breakfast included, bread with jam/ butter served with tea/coffee. Considering everything costs me US$5.25 per night, I am more than happy. (Oh, they also offer free airport pick up...)

There is a crocodile farm next to the hostel, you can see them (well, around 20 of them...I did count) through the inn window. That is not everyday experience......

My friends and I are well entertained by their environment and overwhelmed by their service and quality. I dare to say their quality and price are quite unbeatable.

Siem reap worth a third visit and this inn would be my choice again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My boyfriend and I traveled around South-East Asia for a month earlier this year and when reviewing the trip we both agree that this was our favourite hotel of all the ones we stayed at in three different countries. From the warm welcome of Gin the tuk-tuk driver after arriving in Siem Reap, until the last morning when Sony drove us to the bus stop when our Paramount Express tuk-tuk didn't arrive in time, all experiences were fantastic. We really didn't want to leave, as you feel like an old friend when you come to stay and that can make a real difference when you are staying in a land so different from your own.
other cool things about the stay:
- yummy bakery bread in the morning
- Sony's funny sense of humour
-reliable and caring tuk-tuk drivers
-quiet street which means a restful sleep
-clean, comfortable and well equipped rooms
-free internet
-a genuine people focus from all the family
-really beautiful décor in the guesthouse

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 13, 2009

The place in itself is nice: good quality rooms, clean, A/C and hot water. Comfortable, but no frills. Transfers to/from airport included, as well as rides to town, and a basic, but ok breakfast. Two flaws though. It's quite far from the city centre, and tuk tuk drivers ask for about $2 to bring you there from down town. Secondly and most importantly, a not totally honest staff: The guesthouse offers tours of the temples and of the surrounding sights...for double or more the price what you can find by just asking around! Moreover, the guesthouse's tuk tuk drivers know only little english and hence dont make very good guides, as most other tuk tuk drivers.
Overall not a bad choice, but it could be better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank butter333fly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My partner and I heard about Golden Mango Inn from a fellow traveller in Laos. He raved about it! We reserved online, they picked us up for free from the airport, arranged tour guides for us, free WiFi, free breakfast, free transportation to anywhere in Siem Reap, they speak English perfectly.

The rooms are so spacious and clean, with fresh linen every day. The showers are so nice, free waters in a cold fridge. It looks like this place is brand new! It's quiet - not in the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap (and if you've been here you know you don't want to stay right in the center of Siem Reap - noise, dirty). They're 24-hour service, and at night they even have security guards outside. It's really safe!

We've travelled all over Asia and this is the best value we've ever found! It's nicer than any guesthouse we've stayed in - it's a hotel at guesthouse prices! It's perfect for people like us - too old to be backpacking but budget conscious.

We can't say enough great things about Golden Mango. Stay here before they write about it in Lonely Planet and you can't get a room here! An enthusiastic recommendation from us!

Erin and Jim, New York

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 26, 2009

I recently stayed in GMI with 6 of my friends. I must say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at GMI. The rooms we had were fitted with AC and water-heater. The rooms were new (GMI started only in late 2007, I think), clean and spacious (even for a triple room). The beds also were comfortable (an important consideration especially after a tiring day at the temples). There were also a fridge and TV (with good selection of channels) in every room as well as complimentary bottled water for daily for every guest. There was no safety box in the room but this didnt bother me as I do not typically leave important documents in the hotel. Included in my room rate was a simple breakfast with bread, toast, butter, jam, juice, coffee, tea and milo which was good enough for me. GMI also offered free internet wireless connection to its guests. For the price we paid, I think it was a decent deal.

The key differentiating factor that placed GMI ahead of its many competitors was its excellent service. GMI is a fairly small set up ran by the Cheab family with Sony Cheab being the overall in charge. Sony speaks and writes good English. He is very patient thoughtful, smiley and accomodating. I was very encouraged by his responsiveness when I was arranging the hotel and land tour prior to the trip via email. He was professional and was not pushy. These are key differentiating factors that I value and I didnt see them from other hotel operators that we enquired. Sony was our driver during our short 3D2N stay and he was very flexible with his timing, accompanying us till late night (Even if you are not using its guides/drivers, GMI also provides free transport downtown up to 11pm. The journey is less than 5 minutes (approx. 3 to 5 km) away by car). His suggestions for our land tour were excellent to ensure that we had a spread of activities/sight-seeing instead our touring one temple after another. When we were having fun at the waterfall at Mountain Kulen, Sony also helped us to take a few excellent photos and helped look after our belongings. He also bought us local snacks like banana crackers, deep fried crickets and snails - which was an eye-opening experience. He also brought us to this new Khmer Restaurant called Gold Night which offers excellent food - I love the the cockles and eels in Gold Night. Make sure you request Sony to bring you there! Overall I am extremely satisfied with his service.

Sony is an aspiring and sincere person. He never fails to ensure that everything is fine. He is also constantly asking for our feedback on how he/GMI can improve. He is a great companionship for our holiday in Siem Reap.

2 Thank rivrics
Singapore
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I've stayed in many guesthouses during my travels because I like the personal touches at guesthouses and yet reasonable charges. I must say that Golden Mango Inn is one of the best which I've stayed.

Firstly, we came across good reviews on Golden Mango and were very encouraged by it, especially when it charges very reasonable prices! The free internet at the lobby was a plus point too.

Secondly, there are 5 of us and we are looking for a triple room for 3 of us. A couple of places always have twins and they just give you an additional fold up bed which is not very comfortable but Golden Mango has a big triple room with 3 single beds. It is really fantastic! The rooms are big, clean and comfortable and all 5 of us had a very pleasant sleep during our stay there.

Thirdly, the owner, Sony is very fluent in English and very friendly. He helped us a lot to guide us on where we can go for sights and food. He is ever so patient and smiley. When we had a small problem with our shower, he came up immediately to help us with it and rectify the problem immediately. It's really, service with a smile.

Fourth, he is a good driver who drove us around the whole day to Angkor Wat and he recommended a fantastic guide for us to the Wat, Phanith! Phanith is an aspiring young man who speaks good English and has fantastic knowledge of Cambodia history and temples. He has all his numbers by the back of his hand, it's simply amazing! We've learnt so much from him!! Please look for him if you need a good guide. We had a great time exchanging jokes with Sony and Phanith.

I'm really glad we stayed at Golden Mango. This place charges a very reasonable price and you can't compare it with other places who charge probably a few times more. It's like comparing hotel with guesthouse, cat with leopard. Overall, I'll recommend all those who wants good service and pay for good accomodation yet within budget! I'll definetly choose Golden Mango as our first choice if we return to Siem Reap.

1 Thank Christina-Lin
England
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Me and My friend have had some interesting accomodation over our weeks traveling so when we arrived at the Golden Mango we couldnt believe are luck!!!! so beautiful! The staff there were so friendly and helpful giving us tips on what time to see the temples, what resturants to eat at, as well as history and information about the town. The rooms were spotless and more than comfortable. We had an excellent stay there and would recomend it to anyone!

1 Thank Pheebo