“Tara Riverboat - Floating Village”

Tara River Boat Tours
$38.00*
Kompong Phluk Village and Tonle Sap Lake Half-Day Tour From Siem Reap
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Tara Riverboat has been in business since 2004 and conducting daily boat tours of the numerous lakes and rivers in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap,we have 8 different types of boats all for very different purposes,our staff are all from the villages you will visit and they will look after you from your hotels pick up to return,our boat in Phnom Penh was Once Owned by The Prince himself, our Mekong Tara Prince boat is the perfect way to escape Phnom Penh City on our day or sunset tours. Comfortably seating up to 30 people, this beautiful boat has been refurbished to offer comfort and style to ensure a perfect journey. It has a unique double haul which enables us to navigate to areas other river boats cannot. No hassle, no scams and no hidden costs.in Siem Reap we use special flat bottomed boats so we can enter places other boats can not,all safe and driven by experienced captains
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I would not recommend this company or the morning half day tour. Although the guide was very personable, the boat that was provided for our tour was a small wooden affair, with 8 kitchen chairs that were not fastened to the boat. It looked very unseaworthy. We raced through the floating village to arrive at the Tara party boat at 9.30am where we were offered lunch! When we protested it was too early, we were basically told too bad. So we sat around for an hour and then went back through the village (no information provided by the guide) and then we asked for some stops on the way back to our hotel in order to take photos.

2  Thank Diana6507961
tarariverboat, Responsable relations publiques at Tara River Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Diana,

I'm really sorry that your tour was not as you wanted. Indeed your comments are very relevant and will help us to improve our service. I hope that if you come back to Siem Reap, our offer will be more to your liking.

Regards,

Paul
Marketing manager

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We paid $37 each for the Kompong Phluk and Flooded Forest tour but felt a little disappointed and could have dropped this day for a day elsewhere.

Collection from the hotel was by AC mini-van with driver and guide. An hour and a half maybe travelling through villages to the boat point was a good drive seeing countryside and villages along the way. Our guide was great and told us lots of information along the way and answered any questions.

The boat to the floating village was about half an hour and we enjoyed the racing between our boat and some others. This is when our guide however never really spoke anymore and we felt we were rushed through the village to the flooded forest. I think the guide should have explained the way of life at the village but all he did was point out a fish farm and a pagoda.

The flooded forest boat ride was about 20 minutes on a smaller boat which we enjoyed.

On the way back through the floating village we stopped at the pagoda and got off the boat and were immediately harassed by women wanting us to buy things which we declined but they didn't give up until we got back into the boat. They followed us about for the five minutes we were on dry land while we literally walked quickly around the pagoda and were then ushered back onto the boat.

Back in the mini-van on the way back we were provided a light fruit lunch and can of soda. As we were ahead of time we stopped at a temple which I think was Bakong. We didn't spend much time roaming about here due to temple fatigue from the previous day, hence hoping for an interesting floating village tour, however it seemed the driver and guide were disappointed to see us back where they'd dropped us so soon as they were in the middle of their lunch. We had to wait a while for them to finish.

I was disappointed with the guide mainly, if we hadn't seen floating villages elsewhere we would probably have asked more questions but he didn't offer much information.

2  Thank kiwi_dude_39

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm really sorry for your deception. Yes it's true, of course you don't have to wait the guide and he must respond at your questions and explain you the life in the floating village. We educate our guides to do that and we make kind of tests to see their knowledges. So I'm very sorry... I will do a tour this week in order to see if this tour guides explain correctly the trip.
If one day you come back to Siem Reap, it will be a pleasure for me to make a tour with you.

Thank you for your very interesting comment.

Regards,

Paul
Marketing Manager

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not holding back, the brochure was a little misleading on first glance, but on a second read after the tour it was accurate. I did enjoy seeing how the river people lived on the water, I didn't enjoy the tourist trap floating pontoon with the caged crocs. And then then rather limited menu once aboard the Tara that was firmly aground. Clearly not going for the sunset cruise any time soon. The included drinks were nice, and certainly no expectation to see the sunset given it was the wet season. No visit to the floating village. I think there are better options to see Tonle Sap.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Looking back at this after a few days I think I can now be a little fairer about this tour than if I had posted this straight after.

The guide was good his English and local knowledge were also good. The brochure had implied that it was a tour visiting a floating village with dinner while floating along the Tonle Sap. Like others we had misread the brochure and upon rereading after the tour the meal was as advertised as the brochure didn't mention an actual lake cruise in the big boat however the picture on the brochure showed your ship out in the lake.

In line with other reviews we selected the $33 evening tour with dinner and drinks. The boat you eat on is aground and you don't visit a floating village only a platform with a restaurant and shop (and croc and fish farm). This has been the most disappointing tour we have undertaken, however there are highlights - we did get all you can drink and the wine and champagne and Gin were lovely.

1  Thank DavinC
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Tara Riverboat offers several different tours and the reviews on this site are about different tours which can be confusing. I did the one day to Kompong Phluk which was expensive at $60 - one of the most expensive day tours I have done in Asia. But it was a great day and I saw a lot. There were just 4 of us on the tour. I was picked up from my hotel and driven to the floating village. Yes, it is touristy with many boats. But the local people were going about their lives, fishing, going to school, shopping, all on floating houses, schools, shops and there's even a floating basketball court. Tonle Sap is muddy but it is naturally so. After the floating village, we boated over to Kompong Phluk, the village on stilts. It was really interesting to see how the village adapts to the varying water levels of Tonle Sap. The guide was knowledgeable. He brought notebooks and pencils to give to the village children who were delighted to get such a treat. Don't miss the little village school, called Panha Language School. We returned to the Tara Riverboat where we had a nice lunch - whatever we wanted off the menu including unlimited meals. We did stop at the "croc farm" which is small, and there were some beggars that came alongside the boat. But that is life in Asia. All in all, it was a great day.