“My most photographically rewarding 2 days in around 30 years of travelling and photography”

Angkor Travel Photography - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Angkor Travel Photography offers tailor-made photography tours and workshops ranging from half-day excursions to tours lasting up to 2 weeks in Cambodia. We are professional photographers and our tours, lessons and workshops cater for all levels: from beginners keen to learn about the technical aspects of photography and composition through to professionals that want to tap into local knowledge to ensure they are in the right place at the right moment.
Reviewed December 26, 2017

I spent two days with Regis on the Hidden Angkor and Beyond Angkor day tours on the 23rd and 24th Dec. From my first attempt at star shots over Angkor Wat before sunrise to fishermen casting their nets against the backdrop of a blood red sundown at the end of the second day, 1500 shots later, this was my most photographically rewarding 2 days in around 30 years of travelling and photography. Regis was constantly focused on helping me get the best shots and the most out of my camera settings. I learnt a lot about light composition and Regis pointed out many angles and subjects I would have totally missed. He was encouraging and a 100% focused on my process yet allowed me the space to be creative in my own way. On the first day, I hardly noticed the crowds of peak season as Regis and his team are so skilled at avoiding the crowds through their timed visits to get the best light and uncluttered scenes at each site.
The following day was street photography through markets, monasteries and the floating village. Regis was able to guide me through portraiture and candid moments which kept materialising before us due mainly to the locals being so comfortable with him. With Regis able to speak Khmer, it helped me to photograph people in a more natural way as they interacted with us. The meander down the dusty street of the floating village amongst the locals and the boat trip through the floating forest were very special and photogenic moments. By the end of the two days it felt like travelling with an old friend. I would love to do it all again. If you have limited time and want to seriously photograph Angkor beyond what a mobile phone can do, then I highly recommend these guys.

2  Thank hamcattell
in 2 reviews
"love photography"
"different perspective"

Reviewed December 25, 2017 via mobile

I booked this full day photography tour for my husband as a Christmas present. He is a enthusiastic amateur always looking to hone his skills. We have never been to Cambodia or Siem Reap but we had heard it was visual beautiful and amazing to photograph and it definitely exceeded our expectations. I liaised with team over email, they were extremely responsive and helpful. I added the sunrise which I would highly recommend. Even though the gift was for my husband Chris was very happy to included my 17 year old daughter. She was very new to photography and Chris was very patient. Whilst you visit the major temples Chris was great in guiding us to very different aspects that the main stream tourists seem to miss and as such my husband was able to get some very unique shots. Despite being the week of Xmas the way Chris plans the day you end up avoiding most of the crowds which allows you to get great shots. Not only did Chris help with the techniques but he was also able to talk about the camera itself. Whilst I am not the photographer in the family I know my husband got a lot out of the day and would highly recommended the company and Chris.

Reviewed December 23, 2017

Chris Cusick is an exception photographer and guide. He knew every spot in the temples and the times to be there to get the most out of the lighting and the least interference from other tourists. His knowledge of lighting and camera/lens capabilities allowed me to get more out of my kit than I have on any other trip that I've ever made! Thanks for a great experience and memories of a lifetime.

Reviewed December 23, 2017 via mobile

I had the pleasure of doing 2 days with Chris. One day was the temple tour, which obviously you have to see but isn't ideally my cup of tea photography wise. Chris was amazing at taking us around to some less visited temples, showing us around and pointing out some great shots that I may have missed. Note that you will NOT go to Angkor Wat on this tour (unless you do the sunrise option), but I didn't feel like I missed out since the temples we did visit were very rewarding.

The 2nd day was a lot more up my alley, street photography. We started the day at a local market which in Asia always provides for some great opportunities to shoot some characters. In the afternoon we stopped by a village on the lake, which I gotta tell you, was amazing. Do know that it is vastly different from what you expect to see in Siem Reap and much more local. I could have spent an entire day there...or week.

Anyways, if you're into photography then take this tour, and Chris rules.