Le Meridien Angkor(Siem Reap)
$437
$95
  • Breakfast included
The Privilege Floor by BOREI ANGKOR(Siem Reap)
$79
$60
Hotels.com
Borei Angkor Resort & Spa(Siem Reap)
Free cancellation until 08/01
$74
$51
Lotus Blanc Resort(Siem Reap)
$60
$45
Agoda.com
The Privilege Floor by LOTUS BLANC(Siem Reap)
$54
$134
$102
Hotels.com
$33
$31
  • Breakfast included
Golden Temple Residence(Siem Reap)
Free cancellation until 08/01
$255
$184
$170
Agoda.com
All reviewsrooftop spathe ground floorpub streettuk tukbreakfast is servedold marketacross the rivervintage mercedesbeautiful boutique hotelwithin easy walking distancequiet areasister hotelfew minutes walkloved this hotelvisiting siem reapbeautiful pooldriver
Reviewed May 2, 2009

In the last year, a few friends of mine have visited Siem Reap: one couple stayed at Hotel de La Paix, the other at Le Meridien Angkor.

As a solo traveler, and someone trying to stick to a modest budget, I knew that although both hotels looks fantastic, they were a bit too rich for my blood. I did some research and Viroth's seemed like a great choice: affordable (relative to the aforementioned Siem Reap hotels), reputable (both here on TripAdvisor and mentioned in the NY Times) and chic (I'm not one for chic on a regular basis, so why not enjoy when it fits into said budget?).

My only reservation: the map of Siem Reap that I had showed Viroth's as quite far away from the bars and restaurants of Pub Street and the Night Market. After all, according to the map, there was a "river" to cross and only a few bridges over which to do so.

HAVE NO FEAR! The "river" is barely a stream and the "bridges" are a few meters long!

Viroth's hotel is walking distance to a decent supermarket, and all of the action of Pub Street and the Night Market. (Maps can be deceiving.)

I only used a tuk-tuk once, after I had schlepped to the Hotel de la Paix for their ice-cream (mediocre, FYI) and didn't want to walk back. He quoted me $1.00. I gave him $1.00 and 2,000 riel (50 cents) as a tip because he was fast and friendly and wearing a fabulous sequined baseball cap!

My room was spacious, the bed was firm but comfortable, the A/C worked well and the breakfast was AMAZING. The night prior, the staff made it their job to find me in order to collect my breakfast order. Don't miss the croissants!

(Also, visit Viroth's Restaurant. It's just as affordable as the places on/around Pub Street, it's spitting distance to the hotel and the food is delicious. Also, the atmosphere and decor are fantastic and the staff is warm and friendly. Ask the Front Desk staff at the hotel to see the menu!)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank BigGayTraveler
Reviewed April 18, 2009

This is my second stay at Viroths, this time with family. My wife and teenage kids fell in love with it too. Its stunning in its minimalist design; huge plain white rooms decorated with ornaments made from local materials, a shower head the size of a dinner plate, and a peaceful but very convenient location. Waking just before sunrise, its beautiful to sit on the roof terrace and listen to the town come alive. I'm almost sorry its now in Fromers and the Lonely Planet so its no longer a secret. Get the hotel to arrange your tuk-tuk - ask for Samnang, a fine helpul young man (like all the drivers),eking out a living on a rented bike at $15 day. Tip him well. Must visit is the childrens hospital - you can't miss it on the road to the temples. There's a cello performance and talk by the Swiss Doctor and founder every Saturday night, but also an even more informative film on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7.30. You will want to donate all the dollars you can when you leave. Its a moving and almost tearful situation. Nuff said; enjoy it all.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Scotsmaninmalaysia
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Gorgeous small hotel, with perfect minimalist design, lovely rooftop terrace and pool area, and well located to the centre of Siem Reap. Laundry service was really excellent. In fact, everything about the hotel itself is superlative.

BUT... we were in Siem Reap for the three days of the Khmer New Year and the hotel was seriously understaffed. The front desk was often empty, the upstairs bar abandoned. The housekeeper ended up having to make a margarita for us, as no one else was around... and the poor guy had to communicate by cell phone with a friend to find out how to make the drink, which bottles were which etc., how to spell T-E-Q-U-I-L-L-A... (we really should have just done it ourselves).

Amazing breakfasts. We strongly suggest getting a Tuktuk for the day, arranged by the hotel, to take you around the ruins.

So, in short, beautiful space, but the staff, although very well intentioned, struck us as somewhat inexperienced, and not very numerous!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GiuseppeNYC
Reviewed April 4, 2009

The hotel is beautifully appointed with a well-integrated design scheme. It is very clean and well maintained. The room was quite generous in size and comfortable. It is very hot and dusty touring the temples so it is a relief to return to a sparkling and refreshing pool and lovely space. They really focus on the small details: handmade soap, rain shower, beautiful fixtures, live flowers, antique Buddhas, salt water pool, etc.

Every staff member we encountered was eager to assist us. They were extremely accommodating and very kind. Every time we returned they greeted us warmly and inquired about our experiences touring.

Breakfast is served on the rooftop and was delicious. There was a nice choice of breads, eggs, fruit and yogurt. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, but close enough to town either by tuk-tuk or foot.

My only criticism was that the bed was a little hard and they had foam pillows. In spite of these two minor issues, we really enjoyed our time at Viroth’s and would happily stay there again. For the price of $70USD we felt we really had great accommodations at a fair price..

Like others, we used taxi driver, Sam Pho, He was excellent from airport pickup to drop off. I’m so glad we decided to use him and his air-conditioned Camry. We saw other tourists suffering in tuk-tuks. It’s very hot and dusty at the Wast and a tuk-tuk offers no respite from the heat. Sam designed an itinerary for the two and a half days we had available to see the Wats. He would drop us off at one entrancet and arrange to meet us at the other side with the air-conditioning running and an ice cold bottle of water waiting for us. He was reliable and prompt. His English is very decent and he graciously taught us a great deal about his country during our drive times. You can book him directly through his website: http://www.angkordriver-sam.com/index.html

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank synthesis
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Viroth's is on to something. This was the best hotel hands down that we stayed at on our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.

The hotel is very clean and beautifully designed. The staff is extremely helpful and accommodating and very friendly. We didn't get to finish our breakfast before meeting our guide to go to Angkor Wat so they packed it up for us, refusing to let us go out for the day without some food.

Our room was large and comfortable. We had air conditioning, satellite television and a private patio. The hotel was very quiet and peaceful. There were fresh flowers on the vanity and, the room smelled like lime blossoms. I don't know how they managed to make it smell so good but, they did.

Traveling in SE Asia is hot and dirty... It may sound crazy but, the shower in room #1 is phenomenal. It's the best shower in Cambodia if not the entire world. It's big, the shower head is gigantic, and the water pressure and temperature is great. If you want to treat yourself to some comforts of home while traveling, this is the place to do it.

Tip: If you plan to see Angkor Wat you can book a tour guide and tuk-tuk through Viroths. I highly recommend asking them to book Narin Ra as your tour guide. Narin is very knowledgeable about Angkor and Cambodian history, and he's just an all around really great man to hang out with for the day.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends