“Grande old girl”

Angkor Panoramic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #149 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I've been staying at the Claremont for a number of years and am delighted at the recent improvements, long overdue. The new management is aware of the old girl's shortcomings and compensates with friendly service, a new restaurant with a French chef, reduced prices and a quiet location.
The hotel is unpretentious and strives to keep its old charm whilst undergoing modernisation. However there are shortcomings: It is impossible to read at night in the bedrooms and the plumbing is temperamental. Air conditioners are old and I would have preferred a ceiling fan at night as the air is fresh. Windows have screens so the alternative to air-con is delightful.
The lift is slow, so apparently is the lobby internet, yet I had no problems with the wi-fi in my room.
There are good points and bad in this grande hotel but the management listens carefully to any problem that arises and they are working hard to restore its reputation as one of the old-style grand hotels where comfort is maximised.

Room Tip: Upstairs, level 4 or 5, have nice views and fresh air when the windows (screened) are open.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 717Richard

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We really enjoy staying in this small new hotel in the center of siem reap!
A really good place.... the staff and the room are super and incredible nice!
If you look for a special stay in siem reap, this is the top!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Nary C
Reviewed March 20, 2012

A wonderful hotel and close to the town, and restaurant is very nice and well-organized. In the morning I can see the sunset during my dinner at the restuarant, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It is in a good location that close to the town only 5minutes by walk. And they provide the Wifi that is easy to work and I feel comfortable at there very much.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Va S
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Staff very helpfull and friendly but this property has some issues.
Air Con very slow and was not working properly,shower pressure
very weak,lack of hot water at peak times.Also had the power go
off and when came back no tv channels,internet in lobby using 3
old computers which are dreadfully slow.Lighting in room was very
poor in the evening (not enough to read book).
Property clean and about 15-20mins walk from Pub Street.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Rob T
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Such a big disappointment!! Not only the wifi was not working, but the AC was super slow and was not cooling out room properly. Then to make things worse, the electricity went off in the room, it took a while for them to fix it and still we were left without cable tv. Not worth our money, could have stayed somewhere much better for the same price!!! The hotel have potential, the rooms were clean and spacious, shower worked properly and breakfast was ok. However, the most essential for us was wifi and AC, especially in this heat.

• Stayed: March 2012
10  Thank Lizza99
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I cannot believe that so many people actually gave this lousy hotel good reviews- I can't imagine what they consider bad! Firstly, I booked an airport transfer with the hotel which never materialized. After traveling for 22 hours, that was disappointing. The person in charge of the taxi stand and the driver that I contracted for $7 (cheaper than the hotel) told me that the Claremont NEVER sends a driver; they just say they are going to. I arrived at the hotel, which is on a disgusting, garbage littered street at 11PM. Most of the lights in the lobby were off. I was greeted by a youth of around 16 who was very pleasent but totally clueless about everything.Through patience and sign language, I found out that there was no telephone service. I tried to connect to internet with the "free wifi" and found that there was also no internet connection. The young man told me that no-one else would be in until tomorrow.Eventually, he pulled another young man with a motorbike from the street who took me to a filthy internet cafe where I was able to e-mail my home and office. I was not entirely sure that I was not being kidnapped. The next morning, the internet was still down and the staff at the front desk informed me that there was no in-room telephone service because they did not yet have their "new system" installed. Don't hold your breath for that one! The internet was finally restored that evening, but it would be down once more for an entire day later in the week. If I had not envisioned a major battle to get a refund I would have moved to a different hotel. My "deluxe" room was actually quite nice and comfortable- except for the "deluxe" view from the side window of the roof next door unpon which sat a water tank, various broken wooden objects and two toilets. Yes, toilets. What a lovely view! The free "breakfast" is a joke. Fortunately, I happen to like stale baguette. The one saving grace was the excellent coffee-thank God for small miracles.The "limited room service" does not exist. There was actually a menu left on my desk one day, but it did not indicate hours of service or extention to call; it disappeared the next day.The "free bottled water" that is supposed to be supplied daily is not. I got it the first two days and that was it. I asked for it at the front desk on three occassions and was told that housekeeping would bring it up; it never materialized. The little pool is nice if you are lucky enough to snag one of the four tatty lounge chairs. Forget about enjoying a cocktail poolside. the bar, located ouside in the front garden, does not open until 5PM. Oh, and if you really get bored you can always watch Korean soap operas on the "cable" television. True, this is an inexpensive hotel, but there are many others in Siem Reap in the same price range that must be better quality, and some well reviewed ones that are just a few bucks more per night. Avoid the Claremont unless everything else is booked full!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, get a corner room facing the street. Not a pretty view, but better than the o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank dblank76
Claremont A, General Manager at Angkor Panoramic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2015

Dear Value Customers,
Greeting from Claremont Angkor Boutique Hotel

We found this review that customer posted with wrong location or reviewed by competitor. Why we said like that? Because in the tittle put no telephone, no internet, no lift but our properties we set up all this completely. We wrote a letter to tripadvisor to release the review and we waiting to respond from their team until now.

Best regard,
Management

Reviewed March 3, 2012

We, 3 adults arrived at the hotel at midday having booked and paid for 3 adults/1 room trough AGODA. After we entered the room we noticed the very high temperature in the room because the windows were fully open during the midday heat. We tried to cool down the room but the the A/C unit worked really slow with no option for speed increase. We also noticed that we were short of towels, shampoo, glasses, and the safety-box had its door locked. For the next couple hours the staff started to fix all the problems, having problems unlocking the safety-box and each problem had to be explained at reception and then again to the person who showed up to fix the problem and was not sure what to do. We decided to go to see the sunset at Angkor Wat and when we came back late in the evening to the room we noticed that room has only the two light sources and one was not working. When we went to reception and asked a young fellow at the desk to give us a new bulb, it took him almost one hour to find a minute from his "busy" time at the desk to bring us a new replacement bulb for the lamp (he had claimed that he does not have access to the storage room and can not help us.) During the night the A/C unit was so noisy that we had to wake up and try reduce the vibration noise.
Next day we asked for a room change or A/C unit repair and by the the time we came back in the evening time to the hotel, the A/C unit was fixed but again the cleaning staff opened the windows and left them open for the rest of the day despite us asking the reception desk person to not leave the windows open.
The internet service was extremely slow. Only one computer (at least 10 years old) was working from the three units at the lobby.
The hotel is advertising itself that it is under the new "western" management but it seems us there is still a lot of room for improvement. It is just a simple thing to dedicate 10 extra minutes to find the problems in the room before giving the key to the guests.
The hotel is a long walking distance to the city centre. We enjoyed the breakfast at the beautiful terrace and a nice swimming pool.
I think that for the same price you may have a better option for a short stay at Siem Reap.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends