“A wonderful way to experience the real Siam Reap”

The Happy Ranch Horse Farm
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Happy Ranch Horse Farm is an international standard horse riding stables that offers countryside trail rides, 1-3 hours through villages, rice fields and to Buddhist temples on gorgeous Cambodian horses and ponies. An eco-friendly way to get an inside look at true Cambodian life, peacefully exploring remote areas on our healthy well trained horses. We have suitable horses for all ages and all experience levels, from first time riders to advanced. A quiet way to explore areas only accessible by horseback. Open from sunrise to sunset. We also offer horse cart rides through the local villages in Siem Reap, Angkor. Please book directly with us to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Most travellers to Siam Reap are there to visit the Angkor Wat national park but may not see much of the real countryside and villages nearby. Siam Reap is nice but is largely a tourist town. A gentle one or two hour horse ride is a good way to feel at one with the local area. The staff (and horses!) are very friendly and helpful. I went on a 2 hour ride through paddy fields to a ruin of a small temple with a guide and three other customers and a volounteer (training to be a guide). Mostly walking and trotting with a bit of a canter at the end. I was told about the ranch by a friend and am very glad that I used half of one of my only two days in Siam Reap for the ride. I arrived into town at mid day and a couple of hours later I was riding through little villages. Very enjoyable and interesting. The horses are not large so not challenging to ride but also not strong enough for people over 90KG (I am 83KG).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)
All reviews
in 31 reviews
"three hours"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed November 16, 2010

This is a definite must-try experience for all those visiting Siem Reap and who would like something slightly off the beaten track.

My friend and I (both beginners) arranged for a 2 hour sunrise hack (which was recommended by Mary at the ranch as being the most scenic time to ride) and so had to be at the ranch by 5 a.m. The ranch arranged for a tuk tuk to pick us up at our hotel (USD$8 for a return trip - the ranch is about a 20 mins ride from town) and we arrived at the ranch, a short way outside of central Siem Reap, when it was completely pitch black.

We were quickly fitted out with our helmets and helped onto some of the most gorgeous horses I have ever seen, by our guide, Jai (I might have spelt his name wrongly) and set off promptly on a little countryside road. Jai, who spoke perfect English, had grown up in the next village and so knew the area like the back of his hand, and gave us a wonderfully illuminating running commentary of our surroundings, and answered all our questions about local life and culture.

As the sun rose, we rode past villagers in their homes preparing food for breakfast, farmers rousing their water buffaloes to work in the rice fields, village children setting off for school on their bicycles, and village children in the local school attending classes. Jai even kindly planned the hack such that we got to see a temple even though we had only asked for a village hack. It was a wonderously idyllic way to spend the morning.

When we got back to the ranch I was pleasantly surprised to discover that we had actually been on a three hour hack even though we only requested and paid for a two hour one, which was further testament to the wonderful hospitality offered by all the Happy Ranch!

All in all, I would highly highly recommend a trip to the Happy Ranch Horse Farm if you have a few hours to spare in Siem Reap!

Reviewed November 6, 2010

For our second trip to Siem Reap, we wanted to experience a different adventure from the last. We read rave reviews for The Happy Ranch and since we have absolutely no opportunity to ride horses through the countryside from where we come from, we thought this would be the best time!

We had the company of Lucy, who rode with us. The Happy Ranch values safety for all riders, especially first-timers. They made sure to show us the ropes (pun intended) on handling the horses and stressed on safety tips.

The ride was magical - being first timers and from the city - we rode through rice fields and through the local village. The Khmers' friendliness and warmth are beyond words - the kids welcome us with smiles and waves and it was pretty exciting to ride on the same paths as the local livestock!

The views were breathtaking and spectacular and money can't buy the experience we had. We cannot wait to go on more rides with The Happy Ranch!

Excellent adventure in Siem Reap!

1  Thank sonicshaker
Reviewed November 1, 2010

As an experienced rider and taking two less experienced with me, the riding experience at The Happy Ranch was fantastic...loved it so much, rode there 3 times over a 3 day stay! The horses are very well looked after, immediately washed down after every ride. The care and attention provided by the 'boys' is fantastic, all watched over under the careful eye of passionate horse-loving owner Sary Pann...aka The Sheriff.

Huge thanks to Mary who catered for every need, including the bookings, bottles of cold water and face cloths for riders returning from the dust-laden countryside.

A special mention to 'Ron Weasley'....the ex-vietnamese race horse who was great fun and to 'Storm' who behaved immaculately.

Riders be warned...Cambodia is the most beautiful place on earth...the people even nicer and the team at The Happy Ranch genuine in their care and attention to giving riders and enjoyable and memorable time and to looking after the ponies who thrive on such love and attention.

As the Cambodian horse, is really quite small, please be honest about your weight, as a 14hh pony although strong, cannot carry a heavy man eg 90+kg or less...and why should they...these ponies deserve to keep healthy and as visitors we must respect that.

Finally, a word for the hardworking grooms...the boys....thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Happy Ranch Farm is a charming place to spend your day in Siem Reap. It was easy to reach the place as the staff had kindly helped us arrange for a tuk-tuk to pick us up from our hostel. The farm is very peaceful and laid back. The staff were friendly and we met Mary, who brought us around the village and showed us the temple situated in within the village.

What I liked best about Happy Ranch Farm was the countryside trail. It was the most therapeutic experience that I've ever had. Riding into the village, waving to the friendly villagers, riding along the rice fields and even watching the sunset as we were riding back to the ranch. It was a beautiful scenery indeed. Coming from a city slicker like mem I don't get to experience this kind of setting everyday. This retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city is pure bliss!

A compact camera would be good to bring along as there are tons of good pictures that you can take throughout the ride. Comfortable pants are a must as well as a good pair of shoes. No slippers and jeans as it would make your ride pretty uncomfortable.

You can choose your preferred duration of the horse ride. But for beginners, I suggest that 1 hour ride is more than enough. My friend and I rode for 2 hours which extended to 3 hours because we were just walking from start to end. 3 hours ride can normally be pretty tortorous for newbies.

If you're looking for some peace and quiet, then I strongly recommend you to go for a ride at happy ranch. It's worth every penny that you spent.