“A fabulous haven in Siem Reap” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heritage Suites Hotel

Heritage Suites Hotel
Ranked #27 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Melbourne, Australia
“A fabulous haven in Siem Reap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel has a unique atmosphere which makes it something special and a delight to come home to. No, it does not have all the glitz of a swanky five star hotel - which I must say I also enjoy - but its intimacy and the staff, make it a very special experience. We loved happy hour every night, we loved the breakfast, and the other meals either by the pool or in the restaurant, and were delightfully surprised every night with the small gifts on our bed. We also got a kick out of the airport transfers in the old Mercedes. All this combined to add to our Siem Reap experience. When you are going to somewhere as special as Angkor, it is great to have the whole package. We stayed in the Red Poppy suite which was huge, but suited us nicely..... and was blissfully quiet. We even used the steam room! The one suggestion I would make is to provide better toiletries - with the Relais & Chateaux brand, I would have loved to have been spoilt with luxurious soaps and some body cream please! Although I didn't see the standard room I would definitely recommed taking a suite. We used the Heritage Tour services which were great, and the shop was also a little treasure trove. I look forward to returning to Siem Reap and to the Heritage Suites!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luxevalueseeker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Scot in the MIdlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am a regular Relais & Chateaux customer, so this hotel was a natural choice for my trip to Angkor Wat earlier in July. I was met at the airport with cold towels and a cold drink by their exceptionally friendly driver, who gave me some excellent tips for my stay.

In the other Relais and Chateaux Hotels I have stayed in, one of the real joys has been the feeling that the senior staff (hotel proprietor, maitre'D) were around and attentive, taking a personal interest in your stay. There is no such feeling at this hotel. I didn't meet the proprietor at any time, nor did I see them around the hotel.

I decided to treat myself to a bungalow suite (Ylang-Ylang) and was impressed by the space it provided: really open and an exceptional haven in the humidity of rainy-season Cambodia. While the layout was somewhat non-traditional (toilet, shower & sink facilities quite a distance apart) I didn't find this to be a problem. You have total privacy in the room and although the garden is too small to use as such, it was a pleasant space to look on. The turn down gifts were certainly a nice touch.

I came to the conclusion that aside of the space, the Bungalow wasn't the best use of my money. There is an unusable sofa, made so by two things. Firstly, it has an absurd wooden frame which mean that you cannot lie down. Secondly, no thought has been given to the ergonomics since it is massively uncomfortable to sit on.

Most annoyingly, the same is true of the bed, which is without doubt the hardest hotel bed I have ever slept on: so hard, that I had back pain on the last day of being there. I think this is the room's most serious weakness.

The breakfast was really good: it was a la carte, but you could order as much as you liked. I loved the eggs benedict and the coffee was seriously tasty and is highly recommended. I also tried some of the cocktails and recommend those too.

The hotel tried to sell me a tour of the temples but you should be aware that there is a huge premium and you would probably do better to look on trip advisor for some of the many highly regarded tour guides in Siem Reap.

Overall, this was a nice hotel but certainly not worth

Room Tip: Avoid paying for a bungalow - not really worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Dan C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

At its core, a hotel is to be used for a comfortable night's sleep. Unfortunately, this is where Heritage falls short. My understanding is that Asian beds are a bit more hard than normal although after traveling for a couple of weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia my wife and I have been more than comfortable...until we hopped in the bed at Heritage. It is basically a box spring with no padding and it squeaked anytime you moved. At first I thought maybe this was an error, but the hotel staff said all the beds were the same. One night stay of no sleep and we moved to a much more comfortable setting at La Residence d'Angkor. The hotel attempted to charge us for another night's stay because we did not cancel with a couple days notice, but after meeting with the general manager (an amicable fellow) we agreed to disagree over the bed comfort but he conceded that the squeaking isn't appealing.

Other than the bed, the hotel is located about a block off a main road in a Cambodian neighborhood that isn't all that appealing. I saw others complain about the children's school next door and while you certainly could hear them it was better than other noises. The property is nicely kept and our room (Bungalow Suite) was a little oddly laid out but spacious and clean.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bryanet
QC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Went to enjoy happy hour at the bar and was very pleased when we arrived at the place. It is immaculately designed with the garden well-tended. Handsome bar served up pretty 2 for 1 cocktail drinks, not to be shared. We were pretty buzzed after 2 drinks! Peanuts were so good, so were the beef carpaccio and goat cheese bruschettas!!

• Stayed July 2013
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed in Siem Reap for two nights. Our checkin was ok. We were initially given two rooms in the main building. The rooms were not bad, but the AC was very weak so the rooms were extremely hot. We complained and the technicians measured the temperatures in the room with a special tool and verified that it was way hotter than it should. As a result, we were given an upgrade to a bungalow suite. So this review is for that type of room. It was Significantly better than the normal room. The suite was spacious, unique design and even had a steam room. Our stay in the suite was enjoyable. However, it would have been unbearable in the normal room. The breakfast was good and the hotel staff was extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Only suites. Not regular rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Prozach
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Not only was the room gorgeous, but the service was great. Everyone was really friendly and helped us book tours and guides. It felt like a home from home. Restaurant is lovely, with delicious food. The menu is perhaps a bit limited, but no real complaint.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

honestly, for a bit of a petrol head - this hotel is worth the visit if JUST for the vintage merc collection; but finding one of these magnificent old ladies waiting to pick me up at the airport was the exact perfect start to my trip.

Very biased in favour of this property not least for it's support of Sala Bai, an NGO that trains underprivileged kids to join the catering and hospitality industry - much needed in Cambodia.

I stayed in the Magnolia Suite - gorgeous.

Room Tip: Ask to be collected!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family