“An excellent base........”
Review of Royal Crown Hotel

Royal Crown Hotel
Ranked #131 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed February 16, 2012

The Royal Crown Hotel is on the outskirts of Siem Reap, within a 5-minute walk of the town centre with its crowds, bars, restaurants and markets. Our rooms were extremely spacious and clean. Unfortunately, my room looked out on a building site (as related by Newmorton in her review). It would have been impossible to nap between the hours of 7am and 5pm, but then........we had booked a van, driver and guide, through the hotel, for the duration of our stay, so I didn't bother requesting to change rooms. It would have probably been pointless as the hotel was overbooked in any case. [That could have been a problem!!! We were asked to pay for our rooms on arrival and after we had done so, the manager told us that we would have to move to a different hotel, after 2 nights, as he was overbooked. We argued the toss and, in the end, we were told that we would not have to move. ] That issue aside, the manager, Mr Leng Meng Srong, was charming. He was so charming, that I felt guilty about not moving out to the upgraded hotel offered. BUT we didn't want to split our stay. By return email, after booking the hotel, Mr Leng Meng Srong had offered us an itinerary to view the ruins. We took up this offer and were delighted that we had. The days were well-planned and the guide very informative. The staff were all very friendly. I have no qualms about recommending the Royal Crown and would stay there again should I visit Siem Reap. Mind you.............there are now so many hotels, and the place is so packed, it is becoming a victim of its success.

Room Tip: If travelling in the next 6 months............ask for a room away from the building work.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I spent 4 days at this hotel while I 'did the temples'. Location was absolutely perfect. It was just a few minutes' stroll to the night market & Pub Street.
The staff were very polite & helpful.
My initial room looked lovely until I opened the curtains. I then noticed that there was scaffolding about 2 feet away from the window & major building works going on next door. I have never asked to change rooms before in my life but really needed to see some sunlight & not hear building noise. The girl on reception was very sweet & found me another room immediately. My new room was lovely, very spacious with a good bathroom (& bathtub which had been lacking in my 2 previous hotels).
Desk, lighting & plug points were all good for me to use my laptop (not always ideal in other hotels).
A previous reviewer mentioned the hard mattresses. I agree, it was a 'bit of a shock' when I sat on the bed. However, once I was in bed I was absolutely fine & got a good night's sleep - it was probably good for the back!
The breakfast buffet was excellent. One of the days we only got a 'limited choice' menu to choose from. I suspect that when there weren't enough guests then they didn't bother with the full buffet (which was a shame).
The swimming pool was very welcome at the end of a very hot & dusty day of 'doing temples'. It was a reasonable size & there were enough sun beds when I wanted one. The pool area was a bit 'tired' & could maybe do with a bit of a revamp. Some of the plant pots were cracked. Some plants looked a bit tatty. Everything was very dusty. Towels for the pool were on a 'only 1 towel per person per day'. Getting into the pool wasn't easy as you had to negotiate a prickly plant & then step down from a plastic sort of platform at the end which didn't feel too safe.
I am happy to recommend this hotel & if I visited again I would definitely re-book.
Christine Bennett

Room Tip: Lift only goes to the 4th floor so if you are on the 5th floor then you have to walk the last bit...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Room I stayed in at Royal Crown Hotel in Siem Reap was spacious, clean and well decorated. Staff is professional, perhaps some of them too eager to help or guide. The location of the hotel is walking distance from the market where there are several eating joints. There aren't that many amenities in the hotel. So if you were to take a break from all the site-seeing and wanted to chill in the pool you will find the pool is too small in an awkward location. Their buffet breakfast is strictly OK. I guess that's what you get for the price you pay.
Overall I had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Had a wonderful week-long stay at the Royal Crown. The location is excellent- about 3 minutes walking distance to Pub Street and the Old Market. Also about a 10 minute drive to the main Angkor Temple Complex. The staff are incredibly helpful and accommodating. The breakfasts are good- loved the warm croissants. The room (511) was large, had a nice bathroom, and tons of light (5 windows). Room service (sandwich and french fries) was very inexpensive ($3) and tasty. Excellent stay!

Room Tip: The 4th and 5th floors are nice- however the elevator only goes to the 4th floor (one flight to walk...
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Great looking hotel, excellent location, the staff were beyond amazing they were so nice and attentive it was almost to much! The pool is nice but small, not many deck chairs and no shade. The rooms are large and attractive however the beds are really really hard and made for a bad nights sleep.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Can't fault this place.

Buffet Breakfast was good with selection of both Western and Khmer food. Reception and hotel staff very helpful (Organise a tuktuk with them to take you around the temples. Their rates are competitive, if not better, than any where else). Rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. Convenient location right next to the touristy part of town (markets/restaurants/shops) so you can walk everywhere.

They also give you a cool towel and drink upon arrival which is always nice.

Highly recommend this place. Competitive rates make this hotel the best value in Siem Reap.

1  Thank mulloway
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed here while visiting all the temples. The hotel is across the river from 'Pub Street' where all the restaurants and bars are about a 5 minute walk, still amongst all the buzz. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They organised a tuk-tuk driver for us to do 2 days of temple visits. He was employed by the hotel (I think), he was helpful, friendly and not at all pushy. The hotel charged us $12US per day which seemed to be a reasonable price as other quotes we got ranged from $12-20.
We stayed in 2 rooms at the hotel. Both were good rooms. The first room was in the first floor and was above the restaurant. so it sometimes smelt of the food they were cooking. We were moved to a room on the 5th floor as we like being up high in hotels. This room was also good.
Breakfast was great with a lot of choice.
Pool was very refreshing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high level.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple