“Perfect place to stay for an Angkor visit”

Angkor Village Hotel
Ranked #65 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Entering the hotel area is like entering an oasis in the middle of a desert: very close to the city center placed, inside the hotel area you are welcomed by a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. It consist of a couple of 2 story cottage around the central entrance area and the water surrounded restauranr. Off course spa and swimming pool are not missing. Rooms are spacious and modern oriental furnished. Good western breakfast is served and the menue offers a selection of eastern kitchen inspired meals. Service is excellent and very friendly.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Angkor Village Hotel

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Good room - large, nice design, very clean and simple. Hotel is well designed and pretty. Very quiet, in a great location near the center of town. Breakfast buffet is a little light though. We would go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are probably ok
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in suite room - enormous with lovely bathroom and comfortable bed and two outdoor sitting areas. Lovely breakfast each morning with great pastries and eggs to order. Conveniently located with a short walk into town - easy to pick up a tuk tuk and access temples. Peaceful pool area with great food and drinks available from the restaurant. Wifi only in lobby not rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alicem99
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Room was lovely, comfortable, quiet, and well kept. Beware shower is part of tub with no curtain and very difficult to get in and out; food was average but edible except for raw tenderloin in the French restaurant. Bar area is quite nice and drinks are well made with mini snacks at happy hour (1/2 off mixed drinks).

Room Tip: Take advantage of Happy Hour and Avoid French restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We ate at the hotel in January 2014. Nice setting, delicious food and what we thought were friendly staff until it came time to pay. First our Visa card would not work for some reason so we paid with a $100 note. After an unusual amount of time the server brought back a $50 note and claimed that's all we gave her for the meal (the meal was $70) and asked for the extra $20! After we argued the fact and several phone calls later they eventually capitulated and gave us the change but tried to make us feel bad by saying the staff would pay for it. I have never tried to rip off a restaurant in my life and never will. I don't know what happened to the $100 note and never will but definitely a sly, underhand way of making money!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kalari01
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I chose Angkor Village because it was my first time in Cambodia and I wanted to make sure I was staying at a high-quality hotel, even if I was paying a much higher price than the other hotels I reviewed. On top of that I loved that it was a traditional Cambodian styled hotel. I checked out the pictures and thought it was worth the money. Upon arriving I realized that although it's decent, it wasn't worth the $2,000 USD I spent on 2 rooms, for four nights. For $275/night in a third world country, I thought I would be getting my money's worth. I didn't and was very disappointed. Here's why:

Bathrooms were very dated (even though pictures make them look new/retro styled): Toilet was old and had to flush more than once. Hot water in the shower was inconsistent and in my mother's room it stayed lukewarm at all times

Air conditioning was incredibly loud and hard to fall asleep to at night

Rooms had thin walls: Every morning heard the guests having breakfast and the staff talking in the halls

Breakfast: Found an insect cooked in one of my meals. See photo attached.

Staff: Very friendly but spoke little to no English. Even the front desk attendants did not speak fluently. I stayed in 2 other hotels in Cambodia (both incredibly cheaper) where the staff spoke English well enough to help us when we asked for information. They were eager to help but the language barrier did not make it very easy.

Concierge was never around (is there even a concierge at the hotel?)

Shuttle: Their "shuttle" is actually a tuk-tuk ride ($6 is regular going rate) which after a long plane ride, isn't the most ideal thing to experience through the dusty streets of Siem Reap. The "shuttle" doesn't bring you back to the airport when you check out, either.

If this hotel was priced at $125-$150 then I would say that I got what I paid for. The most unnerving experience was with the resident manager of the hotel, Christine.

I booked our stay over New Year's on agoda.com, who charge me a $90 fee for a seat at the hotel's "gala" dinner on New Year's Eve (keep in mind an entree in Cambodia costs about $5-$7 and $90 would have paid for a dinner for 6 there. Pricing was a rip-off in my opinion). Upon booking, I wasn't able to opt out of the fee so I assumed that once I got to the hotel, I'd be refunded the money since we already had NYE plans in Siem Reap. After checking in, I spoke with Christine and explained to her that my two guests and myself would not be attending the dinner, and if she could refund me the $270 I was charged for the dinner. She told me it was "impossible" since I booked on agoda and it was part of the "package", she wasn't able to do anything about it. She questioned whyI booked the hotel if I saw that it was a $90 charge per person for the dinner, and I told her I assumed I would be able to cancel since it was a dinner and not part of the room rates. She then told me word for word: "Well then you shouldn't have booked this hotel"

I currently work in hospitality, and was completely shocked at her arrogance and refusal to help the situation . She said there was absolutely nothing she could do. Most businesses, when faced with an unhappy client, figure out a way to appease the situation - she did nothing of the sort. After 35 hours of travelling from the United States, this put a huge damper on my stay here.

If you're looking to spend alot of money, but not get your money's worth, then this is the hotel for you.

My recommendation is to stay at the Shinta Mani Club or Shinta Mani Resort instead. Great General Manager, excellent food, excellent service and even better accommodations for the price.

Room Tip: Don't book a room near the restaurant area
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank sophia i
Reviewed December 16, 2013

If you want a new hotel that looks all glitz and the rooms could be anywhere in the world this place is not for you. This place has BEAUTIFUL spacious rooms with a Buddist/calm atmosphere. No TV in your room, lovely gardens and water gardens, they have a lovely separate living space with a TV for those who need this. This is an older hotel with the best service, atmosphere and design. The decking might not be brand new but this adds to the beauty. Walking distance to the old market section and pub street. The restaurant is lovely and the workers are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 11 and our friends had 13 and they were beautiful locations.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple