“Peacefull place and friendly staff”

Rambutan Hotel Siem Reap
Ranked #129 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Nice rooms with pleasant little pool. Very friendly staff who takes care of all your requests. You will be able to enjoy the 3 places (B&B,boutique hotel & Resort) thus 3 different bars, 3 pools! Rooms are clean but too big for 2 people (2 floors and 2 beds). We enjoyed drinking wine on our small terrace :-)

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank SamyTaha

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Honestly, I didn't expect much from the Golden Banana, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located across the river from the main part of town (Pub Street and the Night Market) and is a very easy 5 minute walk. It was nice to be a little off the path.
The hotel itself is really cute. Small villas surround a saltwater pool (great for a dip after touring the temples in massive heat), the landscaping is beautiful and breakfast is awesome (have the rice soup!).
Most room are two-stories. However, we had the wonky second-story room that you had to access by ladder. I honestly don't think you could call them steps. It was a ladder. But, the staff was great and carried our bags up, and really, we didn't mind. That said, if you have any trouble climbing or have a kid with you, I'd make sure to ask for a different room. Not sure how it is in other rooms, but watch out for open shades. I think we definitely did some flashing by mistake. The bathroom was so-so. The water didn't get very hot (but it was so hot there it didn't matter).
The staff was friendly and helpful with booking tuk tuk drivers to go see different sites. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not in the second-story room with the ladder if you don't want to climb!
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed here for 5 days in February, and will definitely be returning. The rooms are clean and spacious, location is excellent very near old market and the pub area. Staff members superb and friendly. Nice pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2012

This was a fantastic place to stay. Siem Reap is HOT, very hot and after a day trudging around Angkor Wat, there is nothing better than to cool off in the heavenly pool and order some fresh fruit, a beer or a cocktail. The staff are all sweet and lovely. The breakfasts are great, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, an egg dish. This place was a fantastic value, great location a short walk into the center of town and the rooms are stylish and comfortable with lovely foliage everywhere and great little terraces. There is a safe in the room which was nice, very comfortable beds, lovely bathrooms. I was a little worried that the hotel would be all men, but that wasn't the case at all. It was a nice mixed group and I was very comfortable there. The pool gives the hotel a center where people can chat and socialize or lounge on their own quietly. Golden Banana has the feel of a posh boutique resort for a great price.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks while I was in Cambodia doing some voluntary work. They were very hospitable, the staff were very attentive and friendly, and the setting was lovely.

My suite had a large bedroom and shower room downstairs, with a lounge and small balcony upstairs. All of the rooms are situated around the pool, which gives a very relaxed and friendly feel.

I would thoroughly recommend staying here if you are visiting Siem Reap and want somewhere a little bit different to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I wrote a review of the GB Resort previously, but as I prepare for my 3rd trip to Siem Reap (1st stay at the GB Resort, 2nd and upcoming stays at the GB Hotel), I feel compelled to write a separate review for the GB Hotel.

The GB Hotel & Resort (B&B under separate ownership) are located in a quiet alley off a small dirt road in a residential neighborhood. I love the peace and tranquility of the area. Yes, there is a neighborhood rooster, but I guess I'd rather hear that in the morning than traffic noise all day. Adds charm. Didn't notice any noise from housekeeping. On the other hand, it's only a 5-10 minute walk to the new Night Market and the original Old Market (including pub street). Don't like to walk? A tuk tuk will cost you a dollar or 2.

The rooms are nicely decorated & clean, and the beds are comfortable. They are firm, which is the style in Asia but not as hard as I've experienced elsewhere, and the pillows are big, which I actually prefer. Not sure I could ever expect a hotel to carry every style of pillow or mattress to suit every taste, especially a smaller, boutique hotel.

I LOVE the pool areas of both the Hotel and Resort. The dense, tropical foliage at the Hotel does block direct sun, which is great for reading by the pool, but when I want to tan, I just stroll over to the Resort. These are not Olympic size pools, but plenty big enough for cooling off and swimming a few short laps. I stayed before at the Hotel de la Paix, 5-stars and about 5x the price of the GB, and although the pool may be slightly larger, so is the number of guests with whom you need to share it.

Only once had problem with the water being out. I advised the staff, and it was back on in 5 minutes. Never once had any problem with getting hot water from the shower.

Of course there are mosquitoes, but it's a humid, tropical climate. I would be astonished if there weren't. The GB sprays the rooms each evening, and will provide you one of those smoking coils if you ask.

The staff throughout the GB complex is absolutely amazing. There is no doubt that their friendliness is genuine, even though they may also be aware that it could ultimately benefit them financially. What service person doesn't understand that? I felt tips were greatly appreciated, but never expected as in the West. But, it goes much deeper with this group. It's so obvious that they enjoy chatting with, and getting to know the guests. Our tuk tuk driver took us to his home village last trip and introduced us to his family, friends and local living. Next trip, I'm joining him to one of his friend's wedding. I was also invited to play volleyball with a group from the GB.

For character, value, friendliness and location, I would absolutely recommend both the GB Resort and GB Hotel to anyone looking for this kind of unique, friendly, local experience. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who prefers standard, cookie-cutter, chain hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Craig D
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Well, after reading all these wonderful reviews, we decided to book a villa in the boutique hotel of the Golden Banana. Location is excellent, just 3 minutes from the new nightmarket and one bridge away from pubstreet and all the restaurants, lovely!!! But what I did not read about were the paperthin walls and windows, therefor, waking up continuously in the middle of the night of barking dogs and early morning by roosters, followed by cleaning ladies (depending on time of night/morning)...don't go without earplugs, you'll need them. Also the bed is nice, very firm, but nice, but the pillow is so high, my ear was touching my shoulder, so I woke up of a sore neck all the time (they couldn't provide us with another pillow), I now made my own pillow out of a duvet I found in the cupboard and my boyfriend made a pillow out of the cushions of the balcony seats. We didn't have any hot water for the 3 days we've been here (still here now), but since it's so hot, it's ok. And also, our arranged tuktukdriver provided us with some "good and experienced" advice on our plans, meaning, we ended up with him showing us around for 2 days, instead of 1, plus, the extra of 3 near death experiences, while driving in his tuktuk to Kompongh Phluk (floating villages, we planned to visit by car and boat, instead of tuktuk and boat). Yes, staff over here is friendly and yes they await you with a cold towel and ice tea plus a free map of town, yes decoration of the place is wonderful, just as in all the pictures and yes this is a gayfriendly place (we have absolutely no problem with this what so ever, if else we would not stay here) with a petit pool (no sun over here). But, would I reccomend this place to anyone, or go back again? No...sorry, but no. The noise is just so terrible, the friendly "advice", in the end, was only there to earn some extra dollars and well...for this area, you could just be better off in one of the big hotels with big pool to cool off after visiting all these beautiful temples!!! Last thing, bring your own mosquito net, since there's none in the villa while mosquitos are hanging around inside and waiting for you ;0)

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the bar area...