All reviews golden banana pub street tuk tuk two storey across the river short walk living area angkor wat great driver the salt water pool location is excellent night market charming hotel foot massage old market area perfect stay definitely stay here again
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed at the GB boutique resort 4 nights. Decided to leave phnom penh a day early. Called the hotel, and spoke to desk person, who supposedly arranged extra night and airport pickup. No one arrived at the airport, and the person i spoke to apparently forgot to tell anyone anything.
The hotel itself: Good Parts - The people who work there are extremely nice and very accommodating. The pool area is lovely, and the food at the pool/bar and drinks good.
They helped us arrange tours and tuk tuks, and all were very nice and helpful and safe. English spoken pretty good. The location is great, a short walk to the middle of town and the market. Wifi available.
The rooms: The rooms are a bit odd, nit esxtremely user-friendly. They are broken up into upstairs and downstairs. Little death defying spiral staircases that nobody wants to use to get to a bathroom in the middle of the night. Our upstairs had a television but we never went up there on staircase and uncomfortable chairs there to watch. No place for clothes/suitcases. No mosquito nets. They come in and spray once a day, so you get some dead bugs on your bed. Shower head was broken. Just soap, no toiletries. We changed rooms, and about 5 or 6 young people working moved this big bed dow to another room. In the process, i never saw 2 of my ringsd that i left in the first room. The owners, very nice and very concerned. Luckily, they were cheap. Public bathroom by pool smelly and not clean, mosquitos in there. Breakfast very limited and allright, Coffee too strong for me. Had a massage. 12 bucks for an hour. One of the worst, especially after the amazing ones in Thaioland. This girl was grabbing the fat parts of me and pulling. This girl had no idea how to massage. I tried to show her.
But, not bad, and it was really okay. I checked out their Resort rooms, and looked better. You're better off spending a few extra bucks and booking those rooms. But nicer than staying in the big hotel monstrosities lining the big street coming into town (and not close to the markets). So i am not recommending this hotel, but i would their Resort.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Like a fellow traveller who had posted a review earlier, I had booked a standard villa, thinking that I would be staying at the "resort" which is the better and nicer establishment of the Golden Banana arm (there are 3 altogether). There is no significant difference in term of the pool/lounge area though I believe, the quality of the room should be better for the "resort" branch.

I had stayed at the GB for 4 nights. The floors were dusty, perhaps it was due to the fact that it is dry season in Cambodia in March. The villa has 2 storeys; the 1st story housing the bed and the bathroom, on the 2nd floor, the telly and a small balcony with a "nest swing". The airconditioning managed to cool the 1st floor comfortably but for some reason, the cool air never reached the 2nd floor. Turning on the fans didn't do much to cool the room as there was next to no breeze at night and the fans only circulated the warm air. As a result, we seldom ventured upstairs. On nights that we didn't wish to hit the pubs, it was rather droll as there was no TV on the 1st floor to keep us entertained. Hanging out by the poolside wasn't an option as there were alot of hungry mosquitoes outside!

If you were to stay, make sure you throw away any leftover snacks. We had bought some local palm sugar (which was not sealed in a plastic but traditionally wrapped using leaves) and left it on the bedside table. I was rudely awakened to a cockroach scuttling in my bedsheets (which we promptly killed!). The next day when we came back from our outing, we found another half-dead roach lying at the foot of the bed. I guess they were attracted by the smell of the palm sugar so I would advise you not to bring anything edible back! The roaches only surfaced after we bought the palm sugar and disappeared after we chucked the sugar into the fridge.

Other than the above, the GB is a lovely place to stay. The location is very good; within walking distance (or a $1 tuktuk ride) away from the markets and pub street but yet far away enough to give respite from the crowds. The staff are also very friendly and accommodating, it would be hard to fault them for anything. The bed is also comfy and we had no problems with the windows or showers.

Overall, it's decent value for the price, though perhaps if i were to visit siem reap again, I would stay at the Resort instead.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank audreybeh
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Had a wonderful 3 day stay here. Staff are incredibly helpful and hotel is beautifully thought out .

Date of stay: January 2011
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We booked a villa in the Resort and were initially given a double room in the hotel. I protested and got moved to a 'villa'. This was in the hotel section which is different to and much inferior to the 'resort' section. My hotel voucher clearly stated 'resort'. The staff explained that a 'standard' villa in the resort is actually situated in the 'hotel'. Make of that what you will. This review is therefore of the 'Hotel'.
What we got was a gloomy dark and dilapidated two level room. The bed was extremely hard - similar to sleeping on the floor. The bedlinen was stained. The decor was OK.
The bathroom was dark. The shower fitting fell off the wall. There are concrete stairs to the second level which are extremely steep. They project into the room creating a hazard at eye level. They also contribute to the general claustrophobic and dingy atmosphere. The doors and windows do not fit properly. This means biting insects come into the room at night despite spraying. We were bitten.
The pool area is badly maintained with uneven flooring and mismatched tiling, and the property generally is cramped and gloomy. The breakfast was derisory - two cold fried eggs on a piece of white bread and a cup of fruit with tea or coffee. The breakfast area was swarming with flies.
We asked to be moved to the 'resort section we had booked but it was full.
We left and stayed elsewhere.
Initial responses from the hotel are claiming I was trying to scam a more expensive room while paying a discount rate - according to their own website I paid the top rate for the best villa in the resort. I don't know what the 'resort' section rooms are like, I also don't know how I would ever find out since I booked to stay there and got something else.
The hotel section however, is dark, in poor repair, gloomy, depressing, bed awful, noisy, grubby and generally unpleasant and poor value for money. There is way better value for money in Siem Reap - this is actually expensive for here. Expensive but poor value. I would avoid.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
worldtraveller062, Manager at Rambutan Hotel Siem Reap, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

The guest indeed tried to get a free upgrade and claimed to have booked the best room in the Resort by paying the lowest rate available. The booking sheet from AGODA clearly stated a standard room in the Boutique Hotel what is in fact the cheapest room. Most guest love the Boutique Hotel, some do not and want a more 'luxury' accommodation. We do understand that fully but if we are fully booked and you do book the cheapest room we cannot, unfortunately, upgrade you.
If then any guest threatens us to write bad reviews on every site the can find if we do not fully refund them or upgrade them for free, we decide to ask them to leave.
So this is their review, based on the fact that they booked a room they didn't like and wanted to have a free upgrade.

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed at Golden Banana Boutique Hotel with my wife and two children in a family room for two nights. Was surprised the room was so big. Actually, the room had two levels including a nice balcony. Staff is very friendly and helpful. They organized a two-days trip much cheaper than the package offered by a local tour agent. Location is perfect, very near to market and restaurants. Swimming pool is rather small but you can just cross the road and make use of the great facilities (swimming pool, restaurant, massage, etc.) of the Golden Banana Boutique Resort. Would definitely stay here again.

• Trip type: Traveled with family