“Great place to get to know Siem Reap”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Ei8ht Rooms Guesthouse
Ranked #205 of 493 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Great place to get to know Siem Reap”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Bangkok and Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Our last stay for 4 days in Siem Reap was at Ei8th guesthouse. The hotel,was charming, close to where the action( Pub Street, etc ) in Siem Reap were- very convienent. Place was clean and tidy.
price was very reasonable.

The owner Jason was very knowledgeable of Siem Reap and offered a lot of suggestions, charming places to go, where to eat. :)

The staff were very courteous and a pool of tut tuk close by the door of the hotel.

We were treated truly as guests and have every intention to recommend it to our friends going to Siem Reap.

No guessing where we will stay in our next trip to Siem Reap!!

Had a great time in Siem Reap!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoeAnnaT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife put it best - "dark, dank, dismal, dreadful." Admittedly, we got off on the wrong foot because the staff, after several email confirmations, failed to pick us up at the airport. The lobby was dark and dreary and neither of the 2 internet terminals worked the one night we were there. The room looked like it had been constructed out of scraps left over from other renovations, there were bare wires sticking out of the wall where a sconce had once been, the fridge didn't work, the shower was anemic, and the A/C took about 2 hours to cool off the room. Our room was described as "Garden View." Our window actually looked down on the lobby (!) and if we stood just right we could look out the entry and see some plants in the sunlight beyond. But with the curtains closed (did I mention the view of the lobby?) what did it matter? Fortunately, after a short walk, we found the nearby Golden Butterfly Villas where we had a fantastic stay with many amenities for 20 USD a night - exactly the same price we were charged at Ei8ht Rooms.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room. Steer clear.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philip P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Complimentary pick up from the airport and engaged this driver to take me around Angkor, all too easy. Lovely big room, A/C, safe, TV and very quiet and private. All staff very friendly and helpful and arranged onward travel easily with them. Situated 5 minutes walk away from all the action in the old quarter. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Ei8ht Rooms Guesthouse last week, but just as our wonderful Siem Reap journey was to begin, we were plunged into total darkness with no power and water!

Our holiday would have been a complete disaster if not for the very friendly and helpful owner and staff of this guesthouse. During the power outage (which lasted for days), the staff at Ei8ht Rooms went far and beyond their duties to make our stay in Siem Reap as pleasant as possible. We really wanted to stay on but the owner persuaded us to stay at another guesthouse, when they learnt that it would take days before any power returned.

Also with all communication systems (internet, mobile, cable tv, etc) down, we were getting a little desperate. The owner Mr. Jason and his tireless staff work all night and day finding us generator-operated guesthouses (most were full), arranged for our transport and even provided use with free bottled water and portable fans/lights.

We would like to take this moment to say a very “big thank you” to everyone at Ei8ht Rooms for taking such wonderful care of us. Special thanks go to Mr. Samath and Mr. Ravy for keeping us entertained with local ghost stories and for apologizing many times for the lack of electricity.

We may have just stayed there for two nights, but the amazing Khmer hospitality we received will live with us for a very long time!
Take care my dear friends and hope everything will be back to normal soon.

Jen, Kerry & Sam

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jennifer360
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had a recent trip to Siem Reap and booked a driver and a room at Ei8th Rooms Guesthouse. I was so disappointed that words cannot describe. First of all there was no driver at the airport as promised by the guesthouse. My second surprise came when I arrived at the hotel and found closed doors. Anyways the guesthouse looked very run down from the outside so at the end I didn't even mind that I stayed somewhere else.
Avoid this guesthouse. For this money you can get better deals nearby.

Room Tip: In the end I stayed at Ancient Angkor at the same rate. The hotel was cleaner and service was fine t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kombogi
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed here two nights and enjoyed the comfortable bed, good air conditioning, and friendly and helpful staff. good location and walking distance to pub street, but tucked into a quieter street. There was some construction next door beginning after 7 AM.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I struggled about whether I would post this review or not. I have decided I should share my experience for others that may be in the same situation. Check my other reviews, I'm generally positive and have pretty reasonable expectations.

First let me say the hosts at this guest house are spectacular, they are friendly and accommodating.

We were booked into the guest house for 3 nights in February, ended up only staying one. (I let them keep the fee for the other two nights because my reason for leaving was, in my mind, more my problem than theirs). There is nothing wrong with this place, per se, especially for the price...it's just not what I expected. The photos on their website make it look beautiful, clean, new, modern. And it's really not, at all.

The building is old, very old and approaching run down. The lobby is dark and gives you a dingy feeling. The area immediately surrounding the bed in the room is nice but that's about it, there are bugs, the walls are dirty, the furniture is old and scratched, there are moldy (or at the very least heavily discolored) tiles in the bathroom. There is loud construction that starts before 7am and goes on until late evening.

The windows consisted of slats in the wall that had a pane of glass screwed over them. The slats were full of dirt, cobwebs, and really detracted from the room and made it feel dirty.

The bed doesn't come with a top sheet, just a too-small blanket, and it's anyone's guess if its laundered. I asked for a sheet and was given another bottom sheet with elastic corners and it had brown crusty stuff on it.

Now with all of that said, I struggled as to whether or not I would post this. Siem Reap is not full of wealth by any stretch of the imagination, none of the areas are nice by western standards, the luxury hotels look out of place. So to say that most western people will experience a bit of a culture shock (even if you're coming in from other places, ie Thailand) would be an understatement. I know most locals live in far worse conditions, and the problems with this place when put in perspective are really quite superficial, I just couldn't be comfortable in the environment it provided. If you can handle it, go for it. If you, like me, saw the pictures and thought "wow, what a beautiful place!" you may be disappointed with the real thing especially compared to guest houses of similar price in Thailand.

One more BIG positive: we were picked up by one of their tuk tuk drivers, and he was fantastic. We stuck with him for our whole stay and were always sure to give him good tips, he was there for us whenever we needed him.

• Stayed February 2013